Dropout modification?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/11/2017 10:10 PM

Good day vital!
How should one go about shortening the Chain stay length of a frame? I wish to remove 1/8th inch (3.8mm) in order to effectively remove my (currently) slammed wheel without breaking the chain. Anyone ever try this with success?
Should i use a file or can I somehow just cut it?
Call a local machine shop?
Thanks

|

4/11/2017 11:39 PM

I rather break my chain than do that however i hate breaking chains really much. it would weaken the chainstay for sure

|

4/11/2017 11:41 PM

Put a half link in your chain and get a slightly bigger sprocket

|

4/12/2017 12:50 AM

use a file (round bastard file) or an angle grinder/dremel tool.

Measure twice, cut once.

Use a sharpie to draw where you want to remove metal. Go slow...

I've done it more than once.

|

4/12/2017 2:34 AM

Keep in mind peg room, if you're running them. Also, if you just want to do this to remove your chain, there are chainbreakers so you don't actually break your chain...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/12/2017 11:12 AM

Get a simple master link, go with a half link and a bigger sprocket, or file the drops but like stated, make sure you have space for pegs still. These days dropouts are tiny and there is minimal room.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/12/2017 10:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2017 7:12 AM

I did it. There's a post on it somewhere on here. Get a metal grinding head that is just under the size of your slot. Mark the slot lines well and the spot you want to stop grinding at and just go at it slow until you've cleared out the space.
It worked well on my dropout but somethings definitely that you should consider are
1. Removing metal there can weaken the structure but depending on the dropout it shouldn't be a problem at all.
2. If you are running pegs, check to make sure that the peg can isnt going to hit or get blocked by the welds after you slide it in that far. Mine did this so I just filed out the corners on my plastic pegs. Thrashed that frame and it still rides perfect today.

|

4/13/2017 7:11 AM

Here's a link to the thread. There are pictures too for visual reference.
http://m.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Cut-my-Dropouts,1308383

|