Dropouts

Related:
Create New Tag

3/27/2018 6:38 AM

I'm new to building bikes built my first one and I'm wondering is there anyway to tighten my chain. Without putting it so far back on my frame I really hate having it like that Photo

|

3/27/2018 6:40 AM

Take a (half) link out. Or two.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/27/2018 6:43 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Take a (half) link out. Or two.

If I take off another don't think it will reach

|

3/27/2018 6:50 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

If I take off another don't think it will reach

Well...hold on a minute.

You want your chain tight and it's pretty much a fixed length once it's stretched, so the axle is going to have to be at or near the point of tension in the dropouts if you want it tight.

If you want your back wheel further into the dropout, AND to have your chain as tight as it was, you need to remove a half link, unscrew the chain tensioners a bit (I'm assuming that's whats coming through the dropout in the right side of the picture) and set your axle further towards the front of the bike.

|

3/27/2018 7:43 AM

But it won't tighten if I have it further in and the chain won't go on if I take another link off am i stuck with this

|

3/27/2018 7:57 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

But it won't tighten if I have it further in and the chain won't go on if I take another link off am i stuck with this

Taking another link out should be fine, just looking at the pics. When you take a half link out, the difference is half of a half-link because it's split between the top and bottom.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/27/2018 8:04 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

Nah dude, you're not stuck. We'll get it figured out. Half links are actually more adjustable than full link chains.

What size sprocket are you running? Theres a few ways to adjust and tighten a chain and I just did it for the first time last week. It's not bad.

This is the video that I watched:

If you take a link out and resize the chain, it will 100% bring your rear wheel into the dropout. You're effectively shrinking the size of your drivetrain by that link.

Removing the chain like this is going to be kinda tricky.

The way I do it is I loosen my back wheel, push it all the way into the dropout (slammed) then push the chain with my hand slightly off line (push from the side so your chain line now has a sideways dip in it) and then slowly turn your sprocket. The chain being out of line will eventually just slip off the sprocket and you're good to go.

DO NOT put your hand or finger between the chain and sprocket. That'll get messy.
|

3/27/2018 8:06 AM

Literally looks near 1/4inch, just take a link out it should be near perfect if maybe a little looser.

|

3/27/2018 9:21 AM

I Took a link off it won't join

|

3/27/2018 9:22 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

Is your wheel slammed?

|

3/27/2018 9:26 AM

im not fully sure what it means just about it

|

3/27/2018 9:30 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

Join it without the wheel in the dropouts, then put the wheel in the dropouts, put the chain on the driver and then put it on the sprocket(sit a few links on and pedal). As long as it's not really tight when you go to pedal, all will be fine.

Also, make sure you backed off your chain-tensioner bolts the whole way out of the dropouts.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/27/2018 9:34 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Join it without the wheel in the dropouts, then put the wheel in the dropouts, put the chain on the driver and then put it on ...more

This.

Unscrew your chain tensioners so they don't stick into the dropout at all.

Push your wheel all the way into the dropouts towards the front of the bike until they don't go in anymore (that is "slammed)

Join your chain

Put your chain over the sprocket, one or two links should be enough.

Use your hand to pedal forward slowly and the chain should jump onto all the teeth.

Once your chain is around your driver, and your sprocket, THEN start fiddling with your chain tensioners until it's right.

Then tighten your axle bolts. Your axle should be sitting completely in the dropout itself.

|

3/27/2018 10:01 AM

the chainstay is so sort it cant be slammed its 12.7

|

3/27/2018 10:04 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

the chainstay is so sort it cant be slammed its 12.7

???

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/27/2018 10:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 10:09 AM

the back end is to short i meant to say

|

3/27/2018 10:09 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

Does that mean your tires are hitting the frame? Can you take some pics and post them? A visual might help spot something that you might not be seeing.

|

3/27/2018 10:10 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

Too short for what? How does this pertain to the chain problem?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/27/2018 10:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 10:15 AM

thats probably why it wont work i took off a link but it wont slide onto the sprocket cause its to tigth but if i had back on another link it only tigthens near the end of the dropout

|

3/27/2018 10:13 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

What p1p is saying is to be sure the chain tensioners are not protruding into the axle slot of the dropouts. When you set your chain length, you can set it slightly back of the dropouts "bottom" but it should be "slammed" all the way to the bottom when you spin the chain on. Put the chain on the driver first, and once it's in the frame, then begin to guide the chain around the front sprocket as you turn the cranks. This should pull the chain on the rest of the way, THEN, use the chain tensioners to tension the chain & center the wheel before tightening your axle nuts.

|

3/27/2018 10:14 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

thats probably why it wont work i took off a link but it wont slide onto the sprocket cause its to tigth but if i had back on ...more

Again, ???

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/27/2018 10:17 AM

Also, after seeing your post about the rear end possibly being "too short", if the chain tensioners are not protruding into the axle slot of the dropout, can you put the wheel all the way forward so that the axle is slammed (i.e. the axle is touching the bottom of the dropout)? If it cannot because the tire is hitting the frame first, you may need to deflate the tire.

|

3/27/2018 10:17 AM

conorbmx98 wrote:

thats probably why it wont work i took off a link but it wont slide onto the sprocket cause its to tigth but if i had back on ...more

Are your chain tensioners all the way unscrewed?

Post some pics of the situation dude, I have a feeling one of us will be able to spot the problem if we see what you're working with.

|

3/27/2018 10:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 10:19 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Also, after seeing your post about the rear end possibly being "too short", if the chain tensioners are not protruding into ...more

I'm starting to think that's whats happening. There's no other reason than a 2.4 tire hitting the CS or SS before the axle goes all the way into the dropout.

That's the only reason I can think that a chain just won't go on. A fully inflated tire/wheel hitting the frame won't allow a chain to go on.

|

3/27/2018 10:21 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I'm starting to think that's whats happening. There's no other reason than a 2.4 tire hitting the CS or SS before the axle ...more

I'm thinking he's trying to join the chain while it's on both the driver and sprocket or after joining it, trying to put it on the sprocket without pedalling.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/27/2018 10:23 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I'm thinking he's trying to join the chain while it's on both the driver and sprocket or after joining it, trying to put it on ...more

And there's the OTHER reason. We'll get it worked out. #teamwork.

|

3/27/2018 10:33 AM

Photo

|

3/27/2018 10:34 AM

Photo

|

3/27/2018 10:36 AM

So that's where I want it my chain won't join together cause it to short but if add a link it will be hanging and I have to use the chain tensioners but that pushes to far down so I'm thinking the end of my frame is actually to short

|

3/27/2018 10:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 10:40 AM

It looks like you removed more than one link based on what you have now to where your wheel was prior. From the looks of your picture, it looks like if you added in one half link, you'd be right about where you want to be. Have you tried to link the chain back up without it being on the sprocket and driver, then tried to spin it on?

|