Dry rubbing sound from headset- just added the sound

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2017 12:52 PM

My bars won’t spin for very long and sounds like all the grease evaporated and and is just rubbing. My stem is correctly put on and everything. Need help and want to know if I can still ride. Where I live it’s been like high 80s low 90 but a few days this week have been 97ish. Everything worked fine at the beginning of the week

|

10/26/2017 12:55 PM

Joe Breslin wrote:

My bars won’t spin for very long and sounds like all the grease evaporated and and is just rubbing. My stem is correctly put ...more

Check if the dust cap is rubbing on the head tube.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/26/2017 1:09 PM

Joe Breslin wrote:

My bars won’t spin for very long and sounds like all the grease evaporated and and is just rubbing. My stem is correctly put ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Check if the dust cap is rubbing on the head tube.

It touching it but how would the sound just come out of no where.

|

10/26/2017 1:49 PM

By becoming dry?

|

10/26/2017 1:55 PM

Joe Breslin wrote:

It touching it but how would the sound just come out of no where.

Age, landing nose heavy, overtightening, there's many possible causes. Just switch out the dust cap for one that isn't quite as close and you should have no problem for a very long time.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/26/2017 9:45 PM

My headset was rubbing on my new frame. The headset came with some really thin metal spacers that sit on to of the compression ring and under the dust cap. I put some in and it stopped rubbing.

|

10/26/2017 10:05 PM

sean_gillis wrote:

My headset was rubbing on my new frame. The headset came with some really thin metal spacers that sit on to of the compression ...more

I just tried it again and it sounds like the noise has stopped but I have to go check tomorrow

|

10/27/2017 4:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 4:53 AM

Worst case scenario, pull it all apart & check your bearings individually to be sure they are both OK. While you have it apart, look for "witness marks" (marks where paint or finish has rubbed off from two pieces touching) & go from there.

|

10/27/2017 1:36 PM

Here’s the Video of the sound. I just want to know if it’s a problem or a danger to me riding
|

10/27/2017 3:14 PM

Sounds like the dust cap. Just switch out the dust cap and it should be fine, something has probably just been crushed over time. If you're really worried about it, take it all apart. If nothing has snapped/cracked/bent, it's fine.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson