Dual break cables,

Related:
Create New Tag

7/16/2014 10:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2014 10:24 PM

I like to do a lot of brake tricks but also am trying to lear tailwhips so I thought this might be ideal an a guy I know also said that dual cables would be good. So I was wondering what companies all made breaks that you can run dual cables all the way and work with a Odyssey Evo 2 break in the rear. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

|

Support your local bike shop.
Instagram:gobeil4130

7/16/2014 10:32 PM

any brakes will work. you have a few options.
Uppers:

1.odyssey m2 lever(cables included)
2.any lever with snafu astroglide upper cable.(a few levers require modding the plate on the cables for the stop, odyssey for example)

Lowers:
1.snafu astroglide lower cable setup. it includes london mod, cables, knarps, all hardware for converting to dual cables
2. Buy a london mod and some regular cables such as odyssey slic or anything else(linear or not, although I heard non linear works better)

Whichever options you choose, you'll have a solid brake setup w/ dual cables, both upper and lower, and won't be disappointed. I have run the astroglide setup(both) and it does work quite well.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/16/2014 10:40 PM

tomdon wrote:

any brakes will work. you have a few options.
Uppers:

1.odyssey m2 lever(cables included)
2.any lever with snafu astroglide ...more

Ok I ha been looking at the M2 and for a gyro the G3 and if I get the london mod would two 1664 cables just work going straight to my evo2?

|

7/17/2014 4:58 AM

Photo

Get two of those race noodles too for a cleaner look
|

It’s all bmx

7/17/2014 7:42 AM

adamnmexican wrote: Photo

Get two of those race noodles too for a cleaner look

What is your brake setup? I'm just looking for options an then I'm going to go talk to the guy at my local bike shop.

|

7/17/2014 7:50 AM

I completely forgot the noodles. Get the noodles. They make a huge difference. And dont forget the cable stop for dual cables, whether it be the stolen knuckle, odyssey london mod, or whatever you choose. And yes, once you have the dual cable stop you can use any 2 cables for the lowers. If you need a knarp don't forget that

|

7/17/2014 8:05 AM

tomdon wrote:

I completely forgot the noodles. Get the noodles. They make a huge difference. And dont forget the cable stop for dual cables, ...more

Whats a knarp and does it make a difference depending on the length of the cable?

|

7/17/2014 8:14 AM

Also will I need a different thing to attach the london mod to my frame? I was looking at some setups with the london mod an there is like a little cylinder that attaches to the frame.

|

7/17/2014 8:18 AM

tomdon wrote:

I completely forgot the noodles. Get the noodles. They make a huge difference. And dont forget the cable stop for dual cables, ...more

FBC2012 wrote:

Whats a knarp and does it make a difference depending on the length of the cable?

A knarp is for securing the cable on a brake arm thats open ended. For example evo 2 brakes. Both arms are open ended. There's nothing to secure the cable too. A knarp would do that.
This is a knarp

Photo

|

7/17/2014 8:19 AM

FBC2012 wrote:

Also will I need a different thing to attach the london mod to my frame? I was looking at some setups with the london mod an ...more

The cylinder is the cable stop barrel adjuster for a single cable setup. That's all

|

7/17/2014 8:25 AM

FBC2012 wrote:

Also will I need a different thing to attach the london mod to my frame? I was looking at some setups with the london mod an ...more

tomdon wrote:

The cylinder is the cable stop barrel adjuster for a single cable setup. That's all

And would i need any gyro plates?

|

7/17/2014 8:59 AM

How does this sound?
Photo

|

7/17/2014 11:54 AM

Also I just noticed that my frame doesn't have holes to put gyro tabs in. Is there any solution to this?

|

7/17/2014 2:35 PM

drill and tap your frame

|

It’s all bmx

7/17/2014 3:36 PM

34R Orto detangler plate is the only one that has lasted me a good while, all the other ones bent/stripped with no problem.

For a London mod, STOLEN KNUCKLES! ! I love mine sooooo fugging much. Look extremely clean and easier to install/maintain than the Odyssey/Snafu mods.

Detangler, something sealed. My Odyssey GTX is amazing, didn't really like my Snafu though.

Tree SB cables work wonders, but they are EXPENSIVE. If you cant afford them, a cheap linear cable will do just as good as any others aslong as you dont intend to mess with it often.

I have never heard of using the race noodles. I dont use them and have no problems, but they may help.

Odyssey M2 lever (cables included) is an amazing choice. I like the looks of the 34R lever but its extremely expensive.

For a U-brake.. Kink DX, Shadow Sano, Promax (the sealed one), or Fly Bikes (preferably the older ones if you can find them.) I run Odyssey Evos and have no complaints, but I would prefer the above U-brakes over them.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/17/2014 3:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2014 3:53 PM

FBC2012 wrote:

Also I just noticed that my frame doesn't have holes to put gyro tabs in. Is there any solution to this?

If you have an integrated headset on your frame, your only option is to drill and tap your frame for gyro tabs.

For the gyro setup, you'll need 3 pieces: an upper break plate, the detangler (something like an Odyssey GTX would be great), and some gyro tabs.

The M2 lever will work great up top, and yes, the 1664 cables are fine for the bottom end but you will have to shorten them and use a London mod.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

7/17/2014 4:15 PM

I think I'm going to go with a full odyssey setup.

|

7/18/2014 6:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2014 6:49 AM

tomdon wrote:

I don't run the noodles, and mine work great because of some lubricant I use in my cables.

Photo

This stuff is AMAZING for stiff cables.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura