ED Black Frame Paint Finish

Related:
Create New Tag

6/16/2015 8:09 AM

Hey everyone!

I currently own a bmx frame that has translucent paint but after coming up 2 years or more the paint is completely peeling off the frame like peeling wallpaper off a wall and exposing the metal underneath the paint finish which is also starting to make the frame rust in certain spots.

I wanted to know what ED Black means on a new frame I'm looking at as regards the colour. I read something about it being called, Electrophoretic deposition - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrophoretic_deposition - where, I think, they get the frame and electrocute it and then the special paint they dip the frame in binds to the metal, making the frame / paint rust proof or something.

If I could get some more information on this process that would be awesome as I don't feel like spending loads of money on a frame again for the paint finish to only start peeling off like paper from a wall after a couple of years etc.

Many thanks, Gregg

|

6/16/2015 9:06 AM

All I know is that it is typically more durable than your standard paint. Like a beefier powdercoat.

But as to your paint peeling after 2 years...you must live somewhere very humid and leave your bike outside. I have never had a frame do that, even on a mountain bike I would monster truck through mud and crap.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/16/2015 9:20 AM

It's not a layer of paint. It becomes part of the frame itself so the only way it comes off is by scratching it.

|

6/16/2015 9:21 AM

An ED finish is another form of plating, like chrome plating and electroplating yeah I guess poweder coatig too.

ED'ing a drame actually makes it structurally stronger by penetrating andfilling in tiny inperfections in the fame material. It also acts as weather proofing.

The ED coating isnt that thick, and won't hold up against scratches as well as powder coating and chroming...hell even a stock paintjob holds up to scratches better.

My frame, fork, and bars are ED black.

|

6/16/2015 10:03 AM

Would you say that its the best type of paintjob for a frame then? Better than the trans? Thanks for the info!

|

6/16/2015 11:04 AM

Gregg666Bmx wrote:

Would you say that its the best type of paintjob for a frame then? Better than the trans? Thanks for the info!

It's not a paint job. It has benifits and drawbacks, just like all outger types of coatings. I'd persoanlly choose chrome over ED if it didn't cost so much extra.

The major benifit ED has over other coatings is the filling of micro fissures in the material being coated. The major drawback is that it's relatively thin compred to other types of coatings.

|

6/16/2015 11:07 AM

Also, if something is ED'd it is coated inside and out as it's dipped unlike paint which is strictly external.

|

6/16/2015 11:14 AM

What you could do if your up to it, you could strip the frame of all its paint( paint stripper and wire brisle brush) finish sand with maybe a 320 sandpaper, etch prime it which is made to go on top of bare metal, then paint whatever color you want then clear it matt or gloss

|