Easiest trick that was hard to learn

Related:
Create New Tag

12/8/2017 5:46 AM

What is/was the easiest trick (by general rider consensus) that was difficult for you to learn?

|

12/8/2017 6:43 AM

180s took me like 3 years haha

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/8/2017 6:44 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Yup took me forever as well.

|

12/8/2017 6:50 AM

Bars (used to do em, lost interest, can't be bothered to relearn them), 360's (I spin to the left, but was born cross eyed, had an operation when I was young, cutting the muscles that were holding my left eye looking to the right. My left eye doesn't have the range it should, so even if I turn my head 90 degrees left, I still can't see behind me through my left eye. I can do them fly out, and hopping on flat. But never got confident enough with them to go bigger. I simply cannot see where I'm landing!). Most frustratingly, manny 180's, sometimes I do em first try, other times it just won't happen. For me it's one of those tricks I just can't do as soon as I start to over think it

|

12/8/2017 6:50 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

r u kidding me? damn.... once i tried downside whips, i never learned it

|

12/8/2017 7:00 AM

rolling out of a fakie lmao

|

fack off

12/8/2017 7:09 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

This. It's taking me forever to learn. 180's came really naturally to me, and I can fake for at least 10-15 feet which is plenty of time, its just shifting my weight, hopping/turning, positioning the bars, and committing. Driving me nuts.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/8/2017 7:23 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I am in this boat as well...

so frustrating that I can't get the timing of the carve, my headturn, and the pull up of the bars to sync up. Gonna try some new things though when school gets out. Lots of free time over break

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/8/2017 7:27 AM

My biggest issue with 180s was just keeping my feet on. After 3 years of taking feet off, my friend told me to focus on pinching my crank arms with the side of my feet. Got em down that session!

New one I've been struggling with is opposite half cabs. I can do them but they're always hideous and take way too many tries.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/8/2017 7:28 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

This. It's taking me forever to learn. 180's came really naturally to me, and I can fake for at least 10-15 feet which is plenty of time, its just shifting my weight, hopping/turning, positioning the bars, and committing. Driving me nuts.

funny, cause I can roll out of a fakie pretty quickly, but the 180's kill me. I learned to roll out of the fakie by just not falling down as I turned...like, my body just learned the balance point, and i went from falling on my ass a few times to doing it. I sometimes wonder if I try to apply the same idea to the 180's then they might just happen...don't know why I am less afraid to turn going backwards...might come from doing the same thing skating backwards while playing hockey....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/8/2017 7:32 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Yes! Rolling out of fakies took a while for me to learn, and once if finally got them I was like, really, this is like the easiset thing ever...grin grin

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/8/2017 7:33 AM

Footjams on quarters angry . Been trying them for 4 years now and have landed maybe 2.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/8/2017 8:17 AM

Barspins.
Landed my first consistent hop bar yesterday afters years of riding (and years of seeing 12 years old kids landing them who cannot even 180 properly...)

|

12/8/2017 8:28 AM

Backflips , took me 13 years to learn , now that I have them they aren’t that hard just scary

|

12/8/2017 8:32 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Footjams on quarters angry . Been trying them for 4 years now and have landed maybe 2.

they scare the heck out of me! I think they're one of those "mental barrier" tricks

|

12/8/2017 10:18 AM

Wow, it makes me feel a lot better knowing you guys have similar issues with it. I'm getting closer every time I try, and having a smooth concrete quarter not too far from my apt works well.

I just know if I get half-cab/fakie/roll outs down, I can do a lot more cool shit, and then start shooting for 3's

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/8/2017 10:43 AM

One handers.. kept jamming my finger on the bars for at least a couple weeks til I finally landed one.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

12/8/2017 11:38 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

they scare the heck out of me! I think they're one of those "mental barrier" tricks

Definitely a mental block. The weird thing is, the 2 I can remember landing were on much bigger quarters than I normally ride. Maybe going to bigger quarters makes it easier?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/8/2017 2:06 PM

180 to fakie out took me forever to master. the 180 I could do, and I could sometimes do a 180 to super ugly pivot out right away if I was lucky, but actually doing a 180, back pedaling once or twice, the pulling out of it took forever.

also feeble hop up manual… learned them a few months ago properly, I could always do manual bonks but riding out the manual took FOREVER for some reason. Something just clicked recently and now I can do them fairly consistent

|

12/8/2017 4:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2017 5:07 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Practice on curbs and then you can take it to the ramp. That’s how I learned them period.

In my case it was tables. Sounds odd I know. But a friend had turndowns dialed and so when he explained a table I ended up doing a turndown. I over pushed the bike and it happened like that for about a year. Second would be manuals. I was used to speed jumping from racing and I had a terrible habit of not leaning but yanking the bars. I don’t know how long it took to figure it out. But it was a good 6-9 months before I could even manual 4 parking spots.

|

12/8/2017 5:07 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

Practice on curbs and then you can take it to the ramp. That’s how I learned them period.

In my case it was tables. Sounds odd I know. But a friend had turndowns dialed and so when he explained a table I ended up doing a turndown. I over pushed the bike and it happened like that for about a year. Second would be manuals. I was used to speed jumping from racing and I had a terrible habit of not leaning but yanking the bars. I don’t know how long it took to figure it out. But it was a good 6-9 months before I could even manual 4 parking spots.

I have them every time on a curb but when I go to a quarter, regardless of the size, I bail straight away or get stuck and drop it.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

12/8/2017 10:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2017 10:12 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Same!

I could roll bavkwards but it was so hard to turn back around...

|

12/9/2017 11:50 AM

Tire grabs for me. Dunno why, but it took nearly two years to actually be comfortable with reaching out to the tire.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

12/11/2017 10:38 AM

Some people would disagree-WHIPS. Took me 6 years to get one to one foot on the TT and the other on a pedal. And that 6 years was not like "I'll try it once a month"...I was trying them like 20 times a session.

Finally got a clean one to pedals in like 2011. Had em kinda down for a while, then hurt my back and stopped trying. I WILL get them back this year.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/11/2017 1:00 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Some people would disagree-WHIPS. Took me 6 years to get one to one foot on the TT and the other on a pedal. And that 6 years was not like "I'll try it once a month"...I was trying them like 20 times a session.

Finally got a clean one to pedals in like 2011. Had em kinda down for a while, then hurt my back and stopped trying. I WILL get them back this year.

I actually agree with that. whips took forever to learn, partially cause I do mine goofy. Took forever dialing them in and I still can’t do them very consistent but they’re usually not very hard to land when I actually try, especially downside over hips. I think you’ll get em back once you start landing some again

|

12/11/2017 2:52 PM

Spinning the right way out of fakie(Indian Giving), Still trying to learn to roll out/half-cab the right way. I can Do a pretty good/high hop spinning the wrong way, so it's hard to remember to turn the other way when you're so used to hopping out Indian Giver style.

|

12/11/2017 3:14 PM

Phunny93 wrote:

Spinning the right way out of fakie(Indian Giving), Still trying to learn to roll out/half-cab the right way. I can Do a pretty good/high hop spinning the wrong way, so it's hard to remember to turn the other way when you're so used to hopping out Indian Giver style.

In my opinion there are no rules to which way youre supposed to spin...not really sure why people care.

|

12/11/2017 4:10 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

In my opinion there are no rules to which way youre supposed to spin...not really sure why people care.

Well rationally you lose a lot of momentum, the start/stop of the momentum makes for a kinda jerky change of direction, makes rolling out very hard (thus Why I Hop, it's smoother.)

|

12/11/2017 5:05 PM

full cabs and footplant 180's

|

12/11/2017 6:42 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Perfect them on flat doing footjam whips then fly out and last doubles or a box/quarter. Took me an afternoon to learn but no idea how many times I did flat whips before I went to the air

|