Easiest way to paint black anodized frame forks bars and cranks army green?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/28/2013 5:23 PM

I'm pretty new to this and on a budget, can i just rattle can some paint and primer combo on and go shred? Everyone says my bike looks shitty so i want to make it look more og than Topsey

|

10/28/2013 5:42 PM

Are those parts aluminum? cause to my knowledge, you cannot anodize steel, just aluminum.

You wanna get all the paint off each part. Sand paper works, but paint stripper works better. Get the paint entirely off and lightly sand them afterwards. Wipe it down then and make sure there aren't any little flakes of paint leftover anywhere.

Next you'll wanna cover anything you don't want painted such as the threads & splines in the cranks, the knurling on the handle bars, where your headset & BB bearings go in your frame, brake mounts too, fork race, stuff like that.

Paint & primer from a rattle can will work, follow SBC's instructions here and you'll be fine. I used his how-to when painting my rims and they came out excellent

|

10/28/2013 5:44 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Are those parts aluminum? cause to my knowledge, you cannot anodize steel, just aluminum.

You wanna get all the paint off each part. Sand paper works, but paint stripper works better. Get the paint entirely off and lightly sand them afterwards. Wipe it down then and make sure there aren't any little flakes of paint leftover anywhere.

Next you'll wanna cover anything you don't want painted such as the threads & splines in the cranks, the knurling on the handle bars, where your headset & BB bearings go in your frame, brake mounts too, fork race, stuff like that.

Paint & primer from a rattle can will work, follow SBC's instructions here and you'll be fine. I used his how-to when painting my rims and they came out excellent

Sweet. My frame has a cromo triangle so idk if its anodized. Would this colorway look cool? Is stripping paint expensive or hard?

|

10/28/2013 6:02 PM

SurfaceWipes wrote:

Sweet. My frame has a cromo triangle so idk if its anodized. Would this colorway look cool? Is stripping paint expensive or hard?

If it's chromoly, it's not anodized. Likely gloss black or something, the rest of the bike is probably hi-tensile steel which is also not anodized.

and you could try using this and seeing if it'll look good or not.
someone in my town used to have it, and I thought it looked ugly, but he liked it. It's all about if you like it or not, fuck what other people think

Photo

the lighting makes it look brighter, but it was army green

|

10/28/2013 6:04 PM

oh and stripping it, idk, when I did my rims I bought a can of oven cleaner cause that takes anodizing off. it was like $4 for a can of it, had sand paper laying around probably just a few bucks. spray paint was like $4 a can, same with primer & clear coat. figure about $20, then however much the paint stripper costs

|

10/28/2013 6:09 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

oh and stripping it, idk, when I did my rims I bought a can of oven cleaner cause that takes anodizing off. it was like $4 for a can of it, had sand paper laying around probably just a few bucks. spray paint was like $4 a can, same with primer & clear coat. figure about $20, then however much the paint stripper costs

i might just wait until i get a better frame lol too much work

|

10/28/2013 7:24 PM

I can already just tell who this is.. Simple, you go and change your seat, which is off color from the rest of your bike. And for your 180s thread, do what I told you last night. Good god....

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

10/28/2013 7:33 PM

just fart on your frame, last time I did that I turned around and it was army green

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin