Eastern Throttle Stem

Related:
Create New Tag

3/14/2017 3:23 PM

Just put it on today. Literally hopped a 16in wall and almost died.Photo

|

Legit

Oscar5788,Scramhype,SuperstarDK,Howlerfbm,AlexDanielP,KilledGlamour,notorious NIG,KYMIKE

3/14/2017 3:41 PM

Overtightened? Either that or manufacturing defect, I'd say.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/14/2017 3:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2017 3:48 PM

Was this one of the cheap stems that sell for under 30 bucks ?

Either way, I only trust a few companies when it comes to stems and Eastern isn't one of them.

Just looked this up. It's a childs stem. No way would i run that thing on my bike.

I just bought a complete 22 inch United and took the stem off right away. I'm too old to chance that shit.

You are too, Hatebreeder.

|

3/14/2017 4:01 PM

Definitely not over tightened. I have had my 26.00 Fit Hi Top for a year with no problems. This was Eastern's cheap stem. I thought it would be an upgrade from the Wise stem on my DK22 and I was wrong.

|

Legit

Oscar5788,Scramhype,SuperstarDK,Howlerfbm,AlexDanielP,KilledGlamour,notorious NIG,KYMIKE

3/14/2017 4:04 PM

I think the throttle line (for the most part) is their cheaper stuff.

Either way I agree, certain parts from certain brands will never be on my bike. I would not trust a stem that is full retail at 22 bucks, regardless of what brand.

Also it is lighter than most other stems that cost more. RED FLAG.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/14/2017 4:10 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I think the throttle line (for the most part) is their cheaper stuff.

Either way I agree, certain parts from certain brands ...more

Lesson Learned.

|

Legit

3/14/2017 4:44 PM

I myself would never buy anything eastern any time soon. They are terrible these days

|

3/14/2017 5:30 PM

Holy shit

|

3/14/2017 7:48 PM

Jay-sus. Looked it up: they're selling parts via Wal-Mart now? Man, this is a different set of products than they offered before. That's ridiculous

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

3/14/2017 7:56 PM

Charliekeet wrote:

Jay-sus. Looked it up: they're selling parts via Wal-Mart now? Man, this is a different set of products than they offered ...more

I've found Shadow, Demolition and several other pretty popular brands on there. They have a store similar to Amazon, where other retailers can sell through them.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/14/2017 10:43 PM

Wow! Even though it's cheap it shouldn't break like that. I ran a salt stem for a couple of years and never had a problem with it!
I've seen snapped s&m race xlt stems snap after a lot of abuse, and that's specifically for racing!

|

3/15/2017 2:39 AM

Notice how the sides of your stem are casted thin to save weight. This shape makes that area weaker than if it were just flat. But all in all I believe that is just a low quality stem.

Photo

This cracked on me but still held in place. I was riding with double wrist sprains when this broke and I could have slammed out of commission if my bars flew off... pisses me off man. I'm riding a thicker and higher quality stem now.

Long point being: I'm willing to bet if the sides of your stem were thicker this would have still happened, just some time later on. So I think it sucking is dependent on the overall quality, rather than just the overall shape. Research and spend the extra dollar for your own safety.

|

3/15/2017 5:53 AM

get a stem that won't fail

Photo

|

It’s all bmx

3/15/2017 8:56 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

get a stem that won't fail

Photo

Haha I have one of these, thing is BEEF

|

3/16/2017 6:55 PM

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/17/2017 1:44 AM

Eastern was cool about this. They told me this was the 1st time they have seen a broken Throttle stem. I was told they were out of stock on a chrome replacement Throttle stem, but will be sending me a different chrome stem asap.

|

Legit

3/17/2017 7:12 AM

Hatebreeder wrote:

Eastern was cool about this. They told me this was the 1st time they have seen a broken Throttle stem. I was told they were ...more

That is cool

|

3/22/2017 9:26 PM

That's nutty .... glad you didn't die...

|

3/23/2017 4:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2017 5:00 PM

Just an update.....my replacement stem arrived today. Eastern sent me their top of the line, forged Compressor top load in chrome to replace my broken Throttle. Their customer service was excellent and much appreciated.

|

Legit

6/2/2019 5:34 AM

Wow I just ordered one it's coming tomorrow. U think it wI'll be good for a 1 foot ramp?

|

6/2/2019 9:55 AM

I rode the Eastern Throttle on mtb dirt jump bike with rigid fork for 2 years with no problem and some heavy flat landings.
It’s kind of scary to see that some stems seem to just snap off.

|