Easy greasy 'greasing sealed bearings' pics

Related:
Create New Tag

6/16/2017 12:57 PM

If you ride often it is a good thing to re-grease sealed barings, i grease my crank bearings about once every 4 months and headset barings once or twice a year. You can easily remove crank arms to get to the barings without popping out the barings.
1. Photo
2. Use a flat screwdriver to carefully pop rubber seal off
Photo

Photo
3.use something to spread grease, i used 6 dabs of grease like this to put all over bearings.

Photo
4. Pack grease in the bearings, i use a piece of plastic from a bag and run my finger in a circle around the whole baring for an even coat

Photo

Photo
5. Put rubber bearing seal back on, it snaps right back into place. Make sure its bedded in the whole way and even.

Photo
6. Do the other bearing, put cranks back on and go ride. Greasing your bearings can make bearing life last twice as long, and make your bike pedal like it's brand new. Once a year i try to remove my bearings completely to grease the other side of the bearings as well, but doing it this way certainly will help your bearings last longer and rool smoother.

|

6/16/2017 3:50 PM

I had a BB last me 3 frames. Since I don't have issues with frames, it was like 8 years.

I even changed to using wet chain lube in my BB for faster spin (great for crankflips).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/16/2017 4:32 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I had a BB last me 3 frames. Since I don't have issues with frames, it was like 8 years.

I even changed to using wet chain ...more

Yeah, oil works a lot better for sealed cartridge bearings. Grease isn't really necessary, and with oil, you don't have to remove the shields. I'm sure the grease does last longer though, but it will slow them down a lot more than oil.

|

6/16/2017 4:35 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I even changed to using wet chain ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

Yeah, oil works a lot better for sealed cartridge bearings. Grease isn't really necessary, and with oil, you don't have to ...more

I always removed the shields so I could ensure I thoroughly cleaned them out.

I'm due for another round of that too...

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/16/2017 6:25 PM

1- Use a razor blade, less likely to mess up the seals.

2- Use marine grease (the type for boats), it's great at expelling water and it is very thin.

3- Don't lube it with anything until you clean out the bearings first. WD-40 or a good degreaser is perfect. Be sure you dry them too. I use an air compressor to dry mine.

4- Works best if you remove them and take both shields off. Then soak them in a degreaser.

5- Oil works, but you have to remember your dealing with bearings and you always use grease for them. That's why marine grease is best. Once you have them cleaned out you only need about 1/2 of your little finger nail amount of grease. Bearings come lubed from the factory. Meaning something super slick like marine grease is key to keep them spinning right and lubed with grease like the factory.

Marine grease is as smooth as ice or butter, and it gets even better with a short break in time. I had a friend teach me this when I was around 16 (42 now) and it is amazing. Just like you should always whipe down your bike to look for any weld cracks this is something you should do 1-2 times a year. Depends on how much you ride. If you have sessions daily that are like 5+ hours long. You really need to do it more often.

|

6/16/2017 7:37 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

1- Use a razor blade, less likely to mess up the seals.

2- Use marine grease (the type for boats), it's great at expelling ...more

I honestly would suggest wiping your bike at least MONTHLY and inspecting for cracks after heavy sessions or when doing routine maintenance for your own safety. But that is riding a few times a week minimum.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/16/2017 8:06 PM

I actually use marine gear lube in all my bearings. It's almost like a very thin grease, or a very thick oil. Works great.

|

6/17/2017 6:59 AM

Am I the only one who just buys new bearings?! I can't be bothered with this "bearing maintenance" nonsense. tongue

|

6/17/2017 7:35 AM

GMGuinn wrote:

Am I the only one who just buys new bearings?! I can't be bothered with this "bearing maintenance" nonsense. tongue

I don't bother cleaning or regreasing bearings. If I take them out I'll give them a wipe before I put them back in, but any more than that seems a bit pointless to me.

Especially if the bearings have any wear. Cleaning and regreasing doesn't stop them being worn

|

6/17/2017 12:43 PM

Good tips, the grease i use is made for ball/roller bearings but hey any grease or lube is always good. I wouldent go buy marine grease just for this purpose and the phil grease i use now has lasted 5 years plus and its only half gone. Gmguinn I used to buy new bb bearings like once every 4 months but since i learned to grease them i do get more life out of them

|

6/17/2017 3:11 PM

I don't grease my bearings that way, I only grease up the part that touches my frame when I install them. Never had an issue with that. Buuuut, if they do start to seize up, I'll grease them up the way you do.

|