Easy tricks that you can't do

Related:
Create New Tag

7/28/2019 1:32 PM

So I've been riding for a decade now. I've had times where I have been really into lots of barspin combos, other times when I would tailwhip everything, I learned backflips & 540s just for fun along the way... However, two tricks that I'd think should be relatively easier that I can't do (or at least can't do well) are tabletops and turndowns.

What "easier" tricks have you struggled with? What are those tricks that have alluded you?

|

7/28/2019 5:08 PM

I’ve been able to 180 for years but i’ve never felt comfortable doing them out of grinds. Same with nose manuals i could never truely hold a nose, when i want to nose manny something i just go fast and nose bonk it and its the same effect i guess

|

13 years old

7/28/2019 5:12 PM

Most of them. Been riding two years and progressing really slow but I'm having fun and that's what matters.

|

7/28/2019 5:15 PM

Manuals, chipped my tailbone on one a few years back now I'm too quick to jump off

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/28/2019 5:38 PM

I still struggle holding a decent manny.

|

7/28/2019 5:56 PM

Tabletops, cans, nothings, x-ups and barspins.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/28/2019 9:14 PM

Fucking turndowns. No one will ever teach me that trick, I've been walked through it countless times I just can't get my body to do it.

I suppose a more basic easy trick would be no footers though. I can do them but like I barely take my feet off the pedals so I don't really count it. Anytime I extend them, the ass end of my bike goes up and messes me up.

|

7/29/2019 4:19 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Fucking turndowns. No one will ever teach me that trick, I've been walked through it countless times I just can't get my body to do it.

I suppose a more basic easy trick would be no footers though. I can do them but like I barely take my feet off the pedals so I don't really count it. Anytime I extend them, the ass end of my bike goes up and messes me up.

I'd bet you push forward on your bars and it does that. Then bring em back toward you and it should drop.

For me the "easy" trick has been hang 5s. I know dudes who figured em out in a couple hours. Been a LONG time.

20 years on a BMX and I don't think that is one I will ever figure out.

Clicking turndowns well is tough for me too.

But I'm at the point where I don't really care much anymore about doing all the stuff I used to do or never could. I've got a few things I want to get figured out, but I'm happy just tinkering around.

I would LOVE to get bar to 540 tire taps back though. Those were one of my favorite moves back in the day.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/29/2019 5:48 AM

The definition of "easy" is so subjective. the easiest trick i can't do that i wish i could and have worked on: is just a basic tire tap on the deck of a quarter. I've never been able to get it working.

|

7/29/2019 6:25 AM

Manny 180. I used to practice them for hours and just couldn’t do them. When I don’t think too much they seem to work. But I think I know the technique now, I just don’t have the patience to get them dialled

|

7/29/2019 7:41 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Manny 180. I used to practice them for hours and just couldn’t do them. When I don’t think too much they seem to work. But I think I know the technique now, I just don’t have the patience to get them dialled

For me, trying to carve a little and then loop out of the manual and hop the 180 at the same time was about the ONLY way I could kinda get em.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/29/2019 8:43 AM

.pegless. wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

For me, trying to carve a little and then loop out of the manual and hop the 180 at the same time was about the ONLY way I could kinda get em.

I always used to carve far too much, and do a proper 180 hop. But I’ve learnt it’s all in the hips. Just a little hop and swing your hips round. I just need to spend some time trying them, but I’m too impatient recently

|

7/30/2019 6:27 PM

Been riding 10 years. Still can’t manual more than like three parking spaces. Can’t spin easy out of grinds either. No barspins, no tricks taking the hands of really.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

7/30/2019 9:12 PM

Reading these reminds me of how many other "easy" trick I can't do... haha. My manual game is off and on. I feel like I suck whenever I see the manual lines that these guys are doing now-I mean I can hold one for probably 10+ parking spaces every 3rd try or something like that, but I don't feel like I have them dialed to do on QP decks consistently.

Hang 5s are another-I feel like I've spent so much time on that trick that I've now learned it the wrong way, and may never find the right position ever.

manny 180s are super hit and miss, and I've only just done them flat ground, not off anything.

@Krooked, are you going the "easy 180" way? (Usually its your oppo-spin direction) Also, spins out of grinds are 100x easier on a taller rail or ledge.

@SundaybmxRR, for no footers its best to have some "lofty air" and take your feet off right when you level out, not right off take-off or right off a bunny hop (that will make your backend come up every time). Once you are leveled out you'll be able to do some clown-level extension off of curb cuts easy. It's so goofy, yet so fun.

|

7/30/2019 9:27 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Been riding 10 years. Still can’t manual more than like three parking spaces. Can’t spin easy out of grinds either. No barspins, no tricks taking the hands of really.

I can’t spin out of grinds either, and it’s because I can’t hop out of them. Feels like it shouldn’t be any different to a normal hop, but in reality it is not.

|

7/30/2019 10:17 PM

Manuals. I tweaked my knee real bad one time after looping out and now I'm so gun-shy with them. Everytime I start to lose my balance I reflexively bring the nose down right away.

I'm kinda ok with it because I think they look goofy but I know that its a basic trick that I "should" master

|

7/31/2019 12:09 AM

1handed Xup seems like it should be easy but I still haven’t been able to figure them out yet, I’ll get em eventually tho.

|

Ride everything

7/31/2019 1:28 AM

Tiretaps with brakes. I can fufanu and abubacu first try every time, but for some reason, tiretaps only work with pedal pressure for me, not brakes.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

7/31/2019 2:39 AM

Manuals like a lot of people it seems.
For me it’s mostly because they’re super annoying to work on: when you practice them on flat ground, you don’t see much improvement, so you get tired of them and stop working on them.

When I practice them on some kind of obstacle (say, bunny hop to manual on a ledge), it’s fine because I either clear the entire ledge or I don’t (which has that satistfying feeling, that you don’t get on flat ground even if you set some markers like parking spaces).

|

7/31/2019 3:56 AM

Jibby wrote:

1handed Xup seems like it should be easy but I still haven’t been able to figure them out yet, I’ll get em eventually tho.

I FORGOT ABOUT THOSE!

I use to do them all the time!

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/31/2019 11:19 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I FORGOT ABOUT THOSE!

I use to do them all the time!

I think they look so good especially if done on street when your expecting someone to bar and they do that instead...awesome.

|

Ride everything

7/31/2019 1:05 PM

Krooked wrote:

I’ve been able to 180 for years but i’ve never felt comfortable doing them out of grinds. Same with nose manuals i could never truely hold a nose, when i want to nose manny something i just go fast and nose bonk it and its the same effect i guess

I can only 180 out of an opposite feeble. I can never get more than 90° out of a regular feeble since it would be an oppo 180 with a regular feeble for me.

|

7/31/2019 1:07 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

I can’t spin out of grinds either, and it’s because I can’t hop out of them. Feels like it shouldn’t be any different to a normal hop, but in reality it is not.

Its way different. Your pivot point is much higher up and all the added friction can really mess with the pop you need. Kimda feels like trying to hop going downhill as compared to flat ground or uphill.

|

7/31/2019 8:36 PM

Fatalize wrote:

Manuals like a lot of people it seems.
For me it’s mostly because they’re super annoying to work on: when you practice them on flat ground, you don’t see much improvement, so you get tired of them and stop working on them.

When I practice them on some kind of obstacle (say, bunny hop to manual on a ledge), it’s fine because I either clear the entire ledge or I don’t (which has that satistfying feeling, that you don’t get on flat ground even if you set some markers like parking spaces).

I feel the exact same way with manuals, hang 5s, nose mannies, any of those types of tricks. But whenever I see someone do a long deck manual around a bowl I get more jealous than anything. So I guess I just need to buck up and keep working on them.

Today I spent about 40 minutes trying to get a manual out of a bowl into a bank that was 30 feet away or so. I finally got it, but didn't feel cool one bit, just relieved... haha.

|

7/31/2019 8:56 PM

So after making this thread I decided I should try tables again. I looked up Harry Main's old table tutorial and gave it a few attempts today. This is what I have (which is way better than I ever thought I'd do!), and I am going to keep working on it and I'll post updates when/if I get them better.

|

8/2/2019 11:48 AM

I can’t nose pivot 180 at all but all of my friends can

|

8/4/2019 11:55 PM

My tables aren't very good. Also, as someone else said, anything that involves taking hands off. I can do tuck no hands and tire grabs, but nothing that involves me just letting go with the bike floating around.. I've tried pinching the seat too but that was back in the day when seats were really high..maybe if I tried now...idk

|

8/5/2019 9:54 AM

Just got back into it after a couple of years hiatus. Just learned tire slides on coping. Such a fun little trick!

|

8/6/2019 3:58 PM

mikebo wrote:

Just got back into it after a couple of years hiatus. Just learned tire slides on coping. Such a fun little trick!

Yeah!!! That's another "easy" trick I can't do...honestly.. I was always kinda scared of em hahaha. Playing around on top of quarters isn't my thing. I was raised riding street and trails and skateparks were never around till later. There's a lot of "easy" skatepark shit I can't do hahaha

|

8/7/2019 9:24 AM

360's I have done a few but not consist with them at all.

|