Eclat Blind

Related:
Create New Tag

12/9/2014 11:58 AM

Couple questions about the Blind coaster. Since it has pawls, does that mean it clicks like a cassette hub? And on Danscomp it says "uses unique cassette based freecoaster mechanism for a more positive engagement", what do they mean by postitive engagement?

|

12/9/2014 12:02 PM

Its silent and most know nothing about it since it was just released. Mine arrives in 2 days, I'll post about it.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

12/9/2014 12:04 PM

The Horror Contact wrote:

Its silent and most know nothing about it since it was just released. Mine arrives in 2 days, I'll post about it.

Aight cool

|

12/9/2014 12:31 PM

Really waiting on the Z coaster

|

REFS-

Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

12/9/2014 12:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2014 12:58 PM

Really waiting on the Z coaster

yea i probably wont get the Z Coaster cuz its gonna be expensive af. Looks nice tho

|

12/9/2014 1:23 PM

Its up in the 300's

They will be out very soon.

|

REFS-

12/9/2014 1:59 PM

If the z coaster comes out before snow melts here In Canada I'll get one if not probably just go with primo or something

|

12/9/2014 2:44 PM

Z is out end of January priced at 350

|

REFS-

12/9/2014 3:55 PM

Z is out end of January priced at 350

That's even more than the Elite hub alone

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/9/2014 4:00 PM

That's fine with me I've never had a bad profile product

It'll still be cheaper then my 48 hole mini with the ti driver

|

12/9/2014 4:04 PM

so will the z coaster not require grease like all the other profiles

|

12/10/2014 12:20 AM

joshcooldude wrote:

so will the z coaster not require grease like all the other profiles

If youre spending 300+ on a hub, id greese that bitch up anyway.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

12/10/2014 1:03 AM

Yes it will make a kind of ticking sound like a cassette, but due to it only using 6 ratchet teeth it will be much slower and you will obviously only be able to hear it when you are pedalling and the pawls are engaged.

|

12/10/2014 6:30 AM

I got mine on Monday and built it up yesterday. Be careful because it comes with two springs two hold the pawls down, one that is in the hub and one is a spare and the one that was in my hub was faulty and had kinks in it and blew up before i even rode it. The spare went in perfectly fine and the hub rides really nice. I wouldn't call the sound that it makes a clicking sound though.

|

12/10/2014 6:53 AM

tcmore wrote:

I got mine on Monday and built it up yesterday. Be careful because it comes with two springs two hold the pawls down, one that ...more

What's it like when riding, if coasting forwards does it disengage when not pedaling and when containing to pedal after do you have to crank through the slack area before the pawls engag again?

|

REFS-

12/10/2014 7:04 AM

What's it like when riding, if coasting forwards does it disengage when not pedaling and when containing to pedal after do you ...more

When coasting forward it disengages but if you pedal forward a bit before it fully engages it makes a sound because the pawls raise and start to rub on the ratchet ring which is what the eclat guy was calling the clicking. You do have to pedal through some slack before it engages but the engagement is way more solid than that of a khe style freecoaster hub. I haven't got a chance to really put some riding in on it yet cause of exams and still nursing an ankle injury but I could definitely be back on here soon with more feedback on it.

|

12/10/2014 7:30 AM

Hi Thomas. The Spring has "kinks" in it and that is part of the designing. It's simply the coil gripping the driver. All the prototypes did this yet managed to work with no issue. This is the first time we have ever heard of the spring "blowing up" though which is strange. ALL hub come with a spare spring just in case you manage to accidentally stretch it whilst switching from RSD to LSD. We've spoken to Dan's Comp and are sending them spare springs in case there is any further issue. Thanks!

|

12/10/2014 7:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2014 7:36 AM

eclatbmxparts wrote:

Hi Thomas. The Spring has "kinks" in it and that is part of the designing. It's simply the coil gripping the driver. All the ...more

The spring that fell apart did not look like the spare spring that was included that is why i believe it was faulty. The things that I called kinks looked more like it was already stretched leading to its failure and not the coil gripping the driver. I hope they can send me a spare though. It is a pretty sweet design though I must admit.

|

12/10/2014 8:10 AM

Mine just arrived, I'd like to hear my reviews on it before I build it up as I'm very interested in the Z coaster as well, I have years of experience with the KHE as to why I purchased the blind in hopes of free coaster hub which may be more suitable as to what I want.

|

REFS-

12/10/2014 8:39 AM

eclatbmxparts wrote:

Hi Thomas. The Spring has "kinks" in it and that is part of the designing. It's simply the coil gripping the driver. All the ...more

Can i ask why you didnt go for a true 14mm female axle? Is it weight, limitations of the design or what? Just interested to know, seems like you could of done it with a few alterations maybe? Thanks.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

12/10/2014 8:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2014 8:59 AM

eclatbmxparts wrote:

EddiMundo wrote:

Can i ask why you didnt go for a true 14mm female axle? Is it weight, limitations of the design or what? Just interested to ...more

When we started work on the Blind hub we based it around a standard 14mm male axle, and that system took a good long amount of time to perfect. A 14mm female system makes the hub considerably heavier, and we never had any issues with the 14mm male hubs not holding up to Shane and the rest of the team. We would also need to rework and re-size the whole internals which is an insane amount of work. With that being said though, it is certainly something that isn't out of the question for the future.

|

12/10/2014 8:57 AM

eclatbmxparts wrote:

EddiMundo wrote:

Can i ask why you didnt go for a true 14mm female axle? Is it weight, limitations of the design or what? Just interested to ...more

This X1000

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/10/2014 9:32 AM

To Eclat, I'm under the impression the hub has a good amount of slack, like a khe set at max. When just pedaling forwards, then stopping, will the hub disengage and when I have to restart pedaling, do I have to do a half crank of rotation before it catches or does this hub catch/engage much quicker with less crank rotation but still giving me that large area of slack when in fakie? What I disliked about khe hubs when running full slack, after back pedaling to disengage you have that gap to pedal before it catches again when going forwards...sometimes you'd go to pedal quickly thinking it was engaged , when not and shit would end like snapping a chain pedaling full force. With the blind I take it as there is no longer a need for the back pedal disengagement..which I like. But what I'm hoping is that when riding from spot to spot, pedaling wherever, I don't have to deal with that large gap before engagement every time I stop pedaling , cruise then continue to do so. I ask because when pedaling pressure is stopped, the hub automatically disengages(not like the khevwhere back pedal is required)

|

REFS-

12/10/2014 9:50 AM

To Eclat, I'm under the impression the hub has a good amount of slack, like a khe set at max. When just pedaling forwards, ...more

My Primo disengages when i stop pedaling and catches almost immediately when i begin to pedal again. Only time i back pedal is before starting a line with a fakie in it, just to to ensure it doesn't engage during fakie. Maybe im misunderstanding you, but you shouldnt ever have to back pedal a KHE style coaster- its a good idea before going in reverse, but not necessary. And it stays almost-engaged when coasting forwards unless you do backpedal.

And my understanding of the Blind is it will ride just like a KHE coaster, but it functions differently.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/10/2014 12:51 PM

Pedal up a bank/quarter , 180 or anything..ride out fakie. If you don't back pedal, your hub wont disengage and it'll lock. It'll be just like a cassette. The Blind will automatically disengage once you stop pedaling, that's what I'm getting from this and holding it in my hands. Seems you have to back pedal though to get full slack or its very minimal when going to crank again. I could be wrong on the blind since I havent built it yet. My khe reverse is at full slack, when you back pedal to disengage, you have like half of a full crank of rotation to pedal before it'll engage again.

|

REFS-

12/13/2014 7:53 PM

Tcmore, please do me favor and let me know if your driver has a slight bit of play in it. Wanna make sure this is normal before lacing up

|

REFS-

12/13/2014 8:01 PM

Tcmore, please do me favor and let me know if your driver has a slight bit of play in it. Wanna make sure this is normal ...more

What do you mean by play? If you mean that it can somewhat move out of the shell then yes i believe that is normal because there is no cone nut that locks the non driveside into place but once you tighten it up on your bike its nice and solid. Had another go on it the other day and had no issues with it. Definitely feel safer with this type of engagement over the khe style coasters.

|

12/13/2014 8:07 PM

tcmore wrote:

What do you mean by play? If you mean that it can somewhat move out of the shell then yes i believe that is normal because ...more

About how much slack does it have? Like quarter crank, half crank, etc...

|

12/13/2014 8:12 PM

Tcmore, please do me favor and let me know if your driver has a slight bit of play in it. Wanna make sure this is normal ...more

tcmore wrote:

What do you mean by play? If you mean that it can somewhat move out of the shell then yes i believe that is normal because ...more

foraben wrote:

About how much slack does it have? Like quarter crank, half crank, etc...

I would say a bit more than a quarter but its kind of weird because it depends where the ratchet ring is located at the time of pedalling forward. Sometimes it feels like a little bit more but sometimes a little bit less. The cool thing is if you feel it engage you can give the slightest back pedal and it will disengage unlike on a normal coaster where you basically have to do a half crank to save your ass. Its a quite complex design and I can't really explain it without physically showing it. Hope that helps a little

|

12/13/2014 8:15 PM

I haven't switched mine to lsd drive yet but with the hub built straight out of the box, you can slightly wiggle the driver in and out between the drive side cone and when its in the shell. I've seen pics of their gong drive side guard being used so that cone may not even be need. The cone nut is gonna be a bitch to get off, shits on tight!

I don't like the khe, has to much flex. It doesn't feel solid(to me at least)

|

REFS-