Eclat Blind Spring Fix

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2015 5:03 PM

Got my Eclat Blind coaster in the mail yesterday, and had the same problem that alot of other people are having, with both the defective springs breaking. I messaged Shane Weston on Instagram and he told me to use a tiny rubber band in place of the spring. Been working perfect so far, until I can get a replacement spring from Danscomp. Just wanted to post this fix up here in case anyone was having the same problem.Photo

Photo

|

1/11/2015 5:10 PM

Shane is a good professional for being like that with people. It makes me happy when pro's stand behind their signature stuff.

But yeah, thats kind of an obvious fix, and should work pretty well i bet, But when it breaks it wont be too fun.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/11/2015 5:25 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Shane is a good professional for being like that with people. It makes me happy when pro's stand behind their signature stuff. ...more

Yea its awesome that he took the time to reply haha, and I'm glad eclat was quick to get some new springs out.

It's not really that bad when the spring breaks actually, the hub just starts engaging every time u fakie, but still works basically like a cassette. I was still able to ride home from the park both times it broke. And its a pretty easy fix, this is the third time I've had to take this hub apart today so im really used to it now. I'm just gonna start carrying rubber bands around when I ride in case it breaks

|

1/11/2015 5:28 PM

i followed you on instagram and that's so cool what you've done how do you do it?

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

1/11/2015 5:32 PM

aussiebmxer wrote:

i followed you on instagram and that's so cool what you've done how do you do it?

Thanks haha its an app for android called Giant Square

|

1/11/2015 5:39 PM

Yeah I was one of the first to receive the blind hub and the springs failed but Shane got back to me and got eclat to get back to me and they got me all set up with new springs. It is now running amazing and really can't see why there would be any point to going back to the khe style coasters.

|

1/11/2015 5:45 PM

tcmore wrote:

Yeah I was one of the first to receive the blind hub and the springs failed but Shane got back to me and got eclat to get back ...more

Yeah the hub is amazing, I've ridden a few khe coasters and an Ezra but this hub blows them away.

|

1/11/2015 5:53 PM

foraben wrote:

Yeah the hub is amazing, I've ridden a few khe coasters and an Ezra but this hub blows them away.

Yeah man! I've ridden all three of federals coasters and never had a problem with any of them other than a driver bearing in the first version but the blind hub definitely feels a lot more solid.

|

1/11/2015 5:58 PM

tcmore wrote:

Yeah I was one of the first to receive the blind hub and the springs failed but Shane got back to me and got eclat to get back ...more

foraben wrote:

tcmore wrote:

Yeah man! I've ridden all three of federals coasters and never had a problem with any of them other than a driver bearing in ...more

Yea at first I was a little worried about it having no adjustable slack but the slack that it comes with is perfect! Super impressed with this hub

|

1/11/2015 6:00 PM

foraben wrote:

Yea at first I was a little worried about it having no adjustable slack but the slack that it comes with is perfect! Super ...more

Best part is that even if the hub engages you just need to give it the slightest back crank and its coasting again

|

1/11/2015 6:05 PM

tcmore wrote:

Yeah man! I've ridden all three of federals coasters and never had a problem with any of them other than a driver bearing in ...more

foraben wrote:

Yea at first I was a little worried about it having no adjustable slack but the slack that it comes with is perfect! Super ...more

tcmore wrote:

Best part is that even if the hub engages you just need to give it the slightest back crank and its coasting again

Yea for sure, everything about it just seems perfect so far except for the spring defect. Seems easy to maintain too since apparently u don't need to grease it often.

|

1/11/2015 6:07 PM

You know how I fixed all the issues the eclat blind had?

I didn't buy the piece of junk.

Just commit to a real coaster.

|

1/11/2015 6:12 PM

BLVCK wrote:

Define a real freecoaster? I've been on the khe style for the last 3 years. None of us were bashing the other coasters so don't see why we needed your input on anything.

|

1/11/2015 6:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2015 6:31 PM

BLVCK wrote:

tcmore wrote:

Define a real freecoaster? I've been on the khe style for the last 3 years. None of us were bashing the other coasters so ...more

I was just fucking around lmfao, I just don't see the point in a coaster with minimal slack, just because it switches to cassette...

I like running 1/4 crank slack because I HATE engaging because it feels and looks sloppy imo..

You were learning/doing/idrk crankarms with my friend at Joyride150 on new years day aha, recognized the username from instagram.

If the eclat blind actually has a half decent amount of slack (1/4 crank is all I accept) I will buy it straight up on the 24th..

I love eclat and everything about them, and the support I seen Shane and Eclat give is insanely amazing! But I mean, I just don't like the idea, I HATED the ezra coaster/cassette with a passion because it's slack was basically just a shitty cassette engagement.

|

1/11/2015 6:30 PM

BLVCK wrote:

tcmore wrote:

Define a real freecoaster? I've been on the khe style for the last 3 years. None of us were bashing the other coasters so ...more

BLVCK wrote:

I was just fucking around lmfao, I just don't see the point in a coaster with minimal slack, just because it switches to ...more

The blind actually has at least 1/4 crank of slack btw. It doesn't have minimal slack because it has a specific driver for it to be a freecoaster which was designed to have similar to the amount of slack as most coasters on the market and a separate driver and ratchet ring to convert it to a cassette. The only issue with the blind was the spring and that has been solved.

|

1/11/2015 6:46 PM

tcmore wrote:

BLVCK wrote:

I was just fucking around lmfao, I just don't see the point in a coaster with minimal slack, just because it switches to ...more

tcmore wrote:

The blind actually has at least 1/4 crank of slack btw. It doesn't have minimal slack because it has a specific driver for it ...more

Idk, I look at shanes videos and it looks like hes got the same amount of slack my primo mix with missing pawls did, and that just turns me off of it, otherwise I'd buy it because this cult coaster is a piece of junk.

|

1/11/2015 6:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2015 2:36 PM

Reposted as a quote

|

1/11/2015 8:51 PM

I'd buy the Eclat if they continue to show improvement and the quality customer service shown. I was upset about how they took forever , and it's kinda shady seeing years worth of prototyping to see springs getting blown , but I want to try it . Maybe if this next batch or 2 decreases in problems , I'll highly consider it. But until then , Primo has my money. KHE = proven.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/11/2015 10:40 PM

I love mine so far. Been riding it for about 2 days now and it's perfect. it in my opinion feels a lot more solid than any khe coaster I've ridden. I'd recommend it to anyone!

|

1/12/2015 2:35 PM

BLVCK wrote:

Idk, I look at shanes videos and it looks like hes got the same amount of slack my primo mix with missing pawls did, and that ...more

Shane Weston just has a lot of experience with it and knows how to be able to use pedal pressure with it. I've been riding it and it feels way better slack wise than the other coasters I've ridden.

|

1/12/2015 2:41 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'd buy the Eclat if they continue to show improvement and the quality customer service shown. I was upset about how they took ...more

That is probably a smart thing to do and wait and see how it goes with these new springs and I probably should have waited to see how everything went before I bought it but now that I have the new springs I have no regrets. There was no way for eclat to know that they had got a shitty batch of the springs from the taiwan manufacturer unless they tested each and every coaster that was being sent out which just isn't logical. KHE may be proven but no one can deny that KHE is also proven to have issues of their own. Either way a coaster is a coaster as long as it works for the rider, I just happen to like to try new technology.

|

1/12/2015 3:20 PM

tcmore wrote:

That is probably a smart thing to do and wait and see how it goes with these new springs and I probably should have waited to ...more

I had a Demolition Rotator and it wasnt anything special , how's the axle on the Blind ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/12/2015 4:00 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I had a Demolition Rotator and it wasnt anything special , how's the axle on the Blind ?

Seems solid enough! I'd recommend to anyone buying this hub to get at least the non drive side hub guard or you will really have to stretch your frame to fit universal style guards.

|

8/30/2015 4:02 PM

looking on buying an eclat blind freecoaster but looking on the problems people are having is kind of putting me off.. Whats the slack like ?? Ilike a big slack so it dosent lock mid cab

?????

|

8/30/2015 4:24 PM

theherb123 wrote:

looking on buying an eclat blind freecoaster but looking on the problems people are having is kind of putting me off.. Whats ...more

I don't have it anymore, i could never fully fix the spring snapping issue, and ended up with a Merritt final drive coaster instead. Im pretty sure they have all the issues fixed now though with the recent batches, so u shouldnt have any problems... but you could get the Odyssey Clutch instead for the same price.
The slacks a little less than a quarter crank on the blind, so shouldn't have any problems accidentally engaging

|

8/30/2015 4:56 PM

A problem with the Blind hub was everyone was replacing just the spring when it broke,.the pawls needed to be switched as well. Ive had my Blind hub since the first batch was released, had new pawls and springs sent to me before riding and to this day, not one issue. Ive had times where it seems to engage in fakie when it shouldn't... In my experience the Blind hub works better for people who ride fast. When I rode slow I had that catching issue . ride faster and nothing . Its a solid hub, you really dont even have to back pedal to disengage it as well like on other coasters from how its designed. Despite all who had problems I stand behind the product. I prefer it over the khe clones.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/30/2015 5:19 PM

The Horror Contact wrote:

A problem with the Blind hub was everyone was replacing just the spring when it broke,.the pawls needed to be switched as ...more

Yea I also got the warranty kit with the new pawls, etc. but it didn't fix mine because I had already broken so many springs (I think 6 actual springs and 2 makeshift rubber band springs) that the whole hub was just too torn up to be fixed. Ended up sending it back to Danscomp after 5 months of trying to fix the fucking thing and they hooked up a new Merritt final drive coaster for free. Pretty awesome of them considering it had been 5 months since I first purchased it, and the issues not their fault in the first place.
It was a great hub though when it worked, and now that the issues are fixed it seems like a great option

|

8/30/2015 8:28 PM

theherb123 wrote:

looking on buying an eclat blind freecoaster but looking on the problems people are having is kind of putting me off.. Whats ...more

I would get the clutch hub. My friend just got it not that that matters in any way. But it has needle bearings which are the same ones used in dirt bike wheels apparently. So it should be able to take a beating, and it has adjustable slack (externally) with the twist of an Allen key

|