Eclat Blind freecoaster problem

Related:
Create New Tag

1/15/2016 9:22 AM

I've been riding the coaster for about a month now, and up until now it's been completely fine, But now when I turn the cranks and engage the hub, then move the cranks a tiny bit (Not enough to engage the hub again), the hub makes a very loud clicking noise. Kinda similar to a trains wheels, but obviously more of a click noise. I have no idea what is causing this and I'm hoping I don't have to pay bucket loads of money for a new coaster.

|

1/15/2016 9:46 AM

NO idea on this problem but if it rides without problems just ignore it. You may just have the pawls slightly engaged which is mimicking how a cassette works...if thats the case, you are fine. , Youre gonna hear a lot of reoccurring issues with this hub as it has failed many.. Eclat stated they have made a new updated driver with individual springs..and its supposed to be really solid from what The Merged has mention however, I havent seen any new info or received any emails back about it. It was also said that this new driver and internals are free to every person who purchased a Blind hub.

ECLAT, PLEASE LET US KNOW THE STATUS ON THIS NEW DRIVER / INTERNALS

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

1/15/2016 11:37 AM

It is a pawl based coaster, you probably have the pawls engaged JUST enough to click, as the internals are somewhat similar to a cassette (in that there are pawls and a spring that engage the hub in a ratchet ring)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/15/2016 8:38 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

It is a pawl based coaster, you probably have the pawls engaged JUST enough to click, as the internals are somewhat similar to ...more

You are exactly right, and that is what's making the noise m. I've had mine for a year and just decided to switch to a khe. I broke the spring in the blind a few times but it's decent other than that.

|

1/15/2016 8:39 PM

But yeah that noise is o k

|

1/16/2016 1:34 AM

Thanks for the replies but I know what sort of sound you mean, and I can tell between the noise of a coaster and cassette but this sound is more of a chopping kind of sound, I believe someone else had the same hub problem under the thread 'bike problem' or something. But I will look at the bearings and pawls and such in the meantime

|

1/16/2016 6:32 AM

Take the driver out and check the spring. The spring is basically the only problem this hub has. I don't use it anymore, I just put a rubber band instead in there and it works great.

|