Egotistical riders (long post, read on if you wish)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/11/2017 9:15 AM

Nothing puts me off riding more than someone who's got their head up their a**. You must know the type of rider I mean; the one who before doing a trick will look at you to make sure you're looking, and once the trick has been landed, look back at you again to make sure you looked? I'm sure we all know someone like this.

My friend does this all the time; he will one up on almost every trick I do / try. It effected my riding & progression to the point that I had to be honest with him and tell him that I no longer wished to ride with him, for now at least..

He's been riding for 3 years and just learnt tailwhips (flyout), I've been riding for one year and I've just started learning them (I can get one foot on, man they're difficult!) and when I ask for help he's as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Anyone ridden with someone like this before? Personally, I can't stand it and now much prefer riding solo! I get so much more down, and actually prefer it!

|

7/11/2017 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2017 10:29 AM

There's a huge difference between the kind of douche rider you described who wants to show he's the best rider in the park and a friend stoked to show you his new trick.

I think it's stupid to not ride with your friend because he's better and 1up all you do, it's not supposed to demoralize you, it's even the opposite, personnaly when I see someone shredding a park, or doing the same stuff than me with more height or a trick more, it motivates me to ride more than anything.

Also if your friend is shitty to give you advices, well... most of people are fully incompetent to learn stuffs to others, don't blame him.

I rode alone for most of the sessions I did in my years of bmx, it's enjoyable but it gets boring when you ride the same spots everyday alone...
When I ride with people, I'm stoked about it, seeing some riders, all with different styles, getting some mutual motivation to do something new, and playing game of bikes, not to win, we often play without any letter at all, but just to show and try each other tricks and find new weird ideas, or doing the line game (add on), or going to cruise the street with ab army of bike riders, to resume, riding is fun.

|

7/11/2017 11:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2017 11:18 AM

I probably come off as that guy a lot of the time at my local park I'm just riding doing my thing , don't care much for mellow sessions if I'm going to ride I want to ride hard and pull good stuff , I don't don't care what other people are doing and they shouldn't care what I'm doing , but i notice other riders in my town who aren't in my regular riding crew usually end up leaving the park like their intimidated to ride with us when we show up or something , it's weird

|

7/11/2017 12:28 PM

I'd rather ride with nice people who are better than me then people who are assholes

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/11/2017 12:41 PM

Francky wrote:

There's a huge difference between the kind of douche rider you described who wants to show he's the best rider in the park and ...more

The only problem is he is a douche, he's extremely cocky and thinks he's the best rider in the park. When someone new shows up to the park, he'll start whizzing round pulling his best tricks to try and show off. If I was the other guy I'd find that quite intimidating ... don't get me wrong, when I see somebody shredding it does motivate me however my friend is an asshole who thinks he can beat anyone at a game of pig.. and when he does play he's always making excuses to try and win. Does my nut, honestly haha

|

7/11/2017 1:59 PM

Where's Ben lorson when you need him

|

7/11/2017 2:07 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Maybe he's working on the greatest edit of his career

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

7/11/2017 4:19 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

He's probably filming his welcome to mafia bikes edit as we speak

|

7/11/2017 6:49 PM

there was a kid who used to ride who would do 180 to long fakies and he'd look at you the entire time he's back pedaling just to make sure you're still watching, then come over and ask if you saw how long he fakied.

I hate egotistical riders. there was another guy who used to ride, thought he was the literal shit on the bike. He was good, I'll give him that. But he had an ego and knew he was good and was super cocky. He'd bitch about my style and how it's shitty, yet he wasn't exactly the smoothest rider in the world either. I'm glad he doesn't ride anymore.

|

7/11/2017 7:12 PM

Oh I love those guys. Even if I saw what they did Ill say something like "nah it was barely off the ground" or "What did you do? I wasnt paying attention" and still not pay attention. Basically fuck with their "look at me" mentality.

I let their egos backfire on them.

|

7/11/2017 8:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2017 8:52 PM

Yeah, I know a guy that calls out a trick before he does it (98% of the time he won't land it). If he sees someone trying something he'll try to do it before them, right in front of them, and he thinks he's better than he is (plus he's 30 odd years old). He goes on about tailwhips as if he's got them dialled but I've never seen him land one, then makes up excuses, like "I've got the wrong shoe's on".
Although, most locals at my local park are constantly trying to one up everyone, especially if a new person shows up. I remember a few of them literally following me around to see what I could do, so I just done weird stuff. I done a Smith on a ledge, and another guy tried it immediately after me on the same ledge, didn't pull it, realised I was pegless, then rode away?

Just do you, learn different tricks that he can't do, ride street, just do whatever you need to keep yourself happy. People in general are douches. Anyone that rides just to be good is doing it for the wrong reasons

|

7/11/2017 9:50 PM

I'm the last local on a bike at my home park, so luckily I don't have to deal with this, haha. Downside of this, though, I'm the only one and it gets boring... heh.

Even when others did ride, we all supported each other and it was more of a "one up to help motivate one another learn something" mindset. Even when someone couldn't land a trick and then a buddy rolled around and did the said trick easy, it was all for laughs as we never had a moment of hatred. I miss those days, man. Everyone has either quit or simply moved on, yet our ages remain in the same ballpark, give or take a year.

It's funny, though, a lot of little kids come in on scooters or Walmart bikes and have a seriously competitive contest like, "Dude watch me you can't do this!" Then proceed to lift he front tire over a hip or bank then another kid would have a furious retaliation, but do it worse. It's only playful manner and they're young, so it's totally understandable, but to see how much older folk somewhat mirror this attitude is definitely something to think about...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/12/2017 1:59 AM

I lowkey throw some hop b's when a rider shows up to see if he's on the same level and if so I'll usually chat and fuck around with the dudes trickbag haha

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/12/2017 5:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2017 5:44 AM

I don't like when someone is trying a trick for a while, and then someone else hits the exact same line, with the same trick. I'm pretty sure that against skatepark etiquette, at least it's frowned upon where I grew up. If it's your buddy, and he's trying to help, that's one thing, but if it's a stranger, and he's doing it, as if to say I'm better than you, that's not cool.

|

7/12/2017 8:27 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

I don't like when someone is trying a trick for a while, and then someone else hits the exact same line, with the same trick. ...more

This pretty much , that's lowkey lame .

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/12/2017 10:13 AM

I do that shit all the time lol

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/12/2017 1:06 PM

It's natural to be competitive. GET GUD.

|

7/12/2017 4:53 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

It is action sports , watch on Netflix the documentary unchained on freestyle motocross , it explains it pretty well the sports progress by guys wanting to outdo each other

|

7/12/2017 7:17 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

It is action sports , watch on Netflix the documentary unchained on freestyle motocross , it explains it pretty well the ...more

Makes me think of the queen mary story. How Josh Heino got one upped by a half assed x up.

Especially with big spots people tend to get really butthurt.

|

7/13/2017 12:05 AM

It's a metal game. He knows he is better and he wants to show you up. He might not even know he is doing it. BMX is highly competitive just because you see a team (pro riders) cruising around together, ever notice that one of them will have to pull a banger out?

You can either go with the flow, not ride with them or up your game. If they aren't talking crap then it's probably just natural.

|

7/13/2017 12:14 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

True, and it's a healthy competitive, but it's another thing to be cocky about it.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/13/2017 12:16 AM

Nah, it's a pissing contest. Who cares who's the "best"? Especially when there's so many contributing factors. One person could do one trick with loads of style, but not be able to do any others, one person might be original and do cool weird stuff that no one else thought of. And another might have loads of tricks but makes them look horrible. Who's the best? Personal perception is what judges these things, and everyone has different tastes.
I don't see bmx as competitive, I see it as a way of expressing yourself. Cliché but it's more of an art form than a sport. If you don't believe me, watch Ian schwartz or Steve Hamilton.

|

7/13/2017 9:40 AM

I'm not even competitive or care if someones better than me i just like people seeing me shred lmao thats the point of riding with other people if youre just trying to progress and dont care what your friends are doing, ride alone. if it bothers you so much man up and get that back foot on g lmao

yall take the bike shit so serious

|

45 refs and counting check profile.