Entry Level With Questions

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2017 7:05 PM

My 10 year old is interested in getting a BMX bike and learning some tricks. I'd like to stay away from Walmart, Target and Toys'r'us. I feel like they are never put together well (brakes seem to always be screwed) and they are heavy. I don't want to start him out with immediate unnecessary challenges.

Any suggestions on a decent entry level bike? I don't really have a lot of money to throw at this. I'd like to be around $150, but that doesn't seem possible unless I get a Mongoose at Walmart/Toys'r'us (38 pounds and brakes don't work).

One option that I read about was the Framed Impact, which would be about $150 shipped.
http://www.the-house.com/qfrimp20bkra16zz-framed-bmx-bikess.html

Any info is appreciated...

Also, why is it that many bikes advertised as "freestyle" only have a rear brake and no detangler at the handle bars? Is he missing out on anything if he doesn't have a front brake and/or cannot spin the bars?

Thanks!!!

|

10/17/2017 7:22 PM

If youre looking at spending that much money, i havent seen a better geo-wise bike. Used would be your only other option.

|

10/18/2017 12:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. These probably aren't exciting posts for those that frequent these forums often. He is interested in the sport so I figured this would be a good place to go for some guidance.

I did see a DK Siklon on Craigslist for $110 that seemed to be in good shape that I was considering as well.

|

10/18/2017 2:38 AM

Finding anything light at the price would be a challenge my advice would be keep your eye out on used bikes, let go is actually pretty good, I snared a wtp trust bike for 80 bucks last year and sold it for 300 couple months after I got my kink outfit back up

|

Ride till you die

10/18/2017 3:59 AM

At 10 he's honestly probably a bit small to be on a 20" and be able to learn tricks. Bmx's are supposed to be small. My sons just turned 9 and fits an 18" pretty well.

But, no bike in that price range will be light. Trying to lighten it up will cost a bit. It's a catch 22 really

|

10/18/2017 4:39 AM

If you are planning on getting him a 20 to "grow into" as money is a bit tight & a 16 or 18 is not in the cards, for the 150, your best bet is to find a used bike on CL. It won't be super light, however. Most street bikes run around 25# with your cheaper versions running around 30#. I'd venture to guess you'd be looking in the 30# range on CL or FB marketplace. If you want, take a look & post here what you find for opinions on what you find.

|

10/18/2017 4:46 AM

Mongoose l100 is the best bike in your price range, maybe slightly over, but it will last him a long time.

|

10/18/2017 5:36 AM

Thank you for all of the replies. I agree he is not going to be tearing it up with lots of tricks. I figure if he gets real into this I can spend some ore money a few years from now.

The Mongoose L100 looks to be about $230. Would this be a much better option than the Framed Impact?

|

10/18/2017 5:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2017 5:45 AM

rhank wrote:

Thank you for all of the replies. I agree he is not going to be tearing it up with lots of tricks. I figure if he gets real ...more

The Mongoose Legion L100 is probably the absolute best (budget) bang for your buck. It comes with a full Chromoly frame, fork, bars, cranks. Has sealed hubs (although, I believe the front is NOT sealed) & BB. It's definitely the best beginner for the price (new). So, yeah, it's better than the Framed Impact.

|

10/18/2017 8:35 AM

rhank wrote:

Thank you for all of the replies. I agree he is not going to be tearing it up with lots of tricks. I figure if he gets real ...more

I dunno, they learn pretty quick. I have an 8 and 10 year old, and within a week of getting their new bikes they were riding on the axle nuts so I tossed some of my old pegs on.

FWIW - I got my 8yo a Haro 118, and my 10yo a Kink Curb off craigslist. paid less than $100 for each of them.

|

10/18/2017 10:04 AM

You definitely want to check on Letgo. there is an 18" haro in my area for around $100 that I know is brand new. You can always find deals. I bought my Eastern Shovelhead on Letgo for $165. Just my .02

|

10/18/2017 10:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2017 10:08 AM

Helijames wrote:

You definitely want to check on Letgo. there is an 18" haro in my area for around $100 that I know is brand new. You can ...more

What year Shovel?! That's a great deal you got!

Along these lines, FB Marketplace and Craigslist are great places to look as well. You can find some great deals. I found a full chromoly bike on Craigslist for under $70 recently. Honestly, I think used is your best bet at this point.

|

10/18/2017 10:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2017 10:19 AM

Deleted - not what I thought it was.

|

10/18/2017 10:27 AM

rhank wrote:

On the bottom of your posts, to the left bottom is a "Delete Post" button.

|

10/18/2017 12:31 PM

rhank wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I dont have that option on mobile or desktop...do you have version 2 of this website installed?

|

10/18/2017 12:50 PM

rhank wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I dont have that option on mobile or desktop...do you have version 2 of this website installed?

I think you'd to switch over to "Full Site" to get that option. On the mobile "site", you can only edit.

|

10/18/2017 12:57 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I think you'd to switch over to "Full Site" to get that option. On the mobile "site", you can only edit.

Is that an option on the website? Because I can force desktop mode but still see no delete option...

|

10/18/2017 12:58 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Oh shit! I found it! Thanks

|

10/18/2017 5:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2017 6:24 PM

I was on my phone and did not see delete, only edit. I'll know for next time!

|

10/18/2017 7:11 PM

|

10/18/2017 8:57 PM

Both of those are mid school & probably fairly heavy. I have no doubt they'd both hold up for the 10 year old. Hard to say which would be better. The Haro looks more "normal" by today's standards. Just from a looks perspective. Personally, I'd think you could talk them down to $70-$80.

|

10/19/2017 5:00 PM

|

10/19/2017 5:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2017 6:57 PM

You'd be better off with that GT or Haro you posted earlier. The Diamondback is only a hi ten frame.

|