Everthin you need to know about the Mongoose Legion L100

Related:
Create New Tag

1/10/2018 11:47 PM

I figured Id put these videos I make about the Legion L100 all in one place so if anyone needs to reference them to a newer user, they are all here!

My newest about grinding:

2018 review:

2017 review:

Rear hub quality:

Photo

|

1/11/2018 12:36 AM

Kind of a dumb question, but is the compression cap on the left side of the crank reverse threaded? I'm trying to loosen it to free up the bearing, and its bending my multi tool from me putting almost all my weight on it.

|

1/11/2018 3:25 AM

Brendan44 wrote:

Kind of a dumb question, but is the compression cap on the left side of the crank reverse threaded? I'm trying to loosen it to ...more

Shouldn't be. That'd be quite strange.

Also do you have the 2017 or 2018 model? The '18 has 2pc cranks so only one crank arm comes off the spindle. If there's an Allen broach in the other side, trying to loosen it won't get ya anywhere.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/11/2018 4:36 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Also do you have the 2017 or 2018 model? The '18 has 2pc cranks so only one crank arm ...more

^^^ this ^^^ if you got the '18, I believe the left crank arm is combined with the spindle. Only the right crank arm comes off.

|

1/11/2018 6:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2018 7:23 AM

Brendan44 wrote:

Kind of a dumb question, but is the compression cap on the left side of the crank reverse threaded? I'm trying to loosen it to ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Also do you have the 2017 or 2018 model? The '18 has 2pc cranks so only one crank arm ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

^^^ this ^^^ if you got the '18, I believe the left crank arm is combined with the spindle. Only the right crank arm comes ...more

Yes, you need to loosen the pinch bolt on the right arm then the end bolt...should slide right off. Then push the axle out. If it takes a bit more effort use a rubber mallet.

If you cant get the last little bit of the axle out, screw the end bolt on a bit and use it to extend the axle. Tap gently with a mallet.

|

1/11/2018 11:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2018 11:09 PM

Thanks for the help,

On another note, just seen the legion up for $160 open box on amazon. Makes me wonder how much is costs to manufacture these things, since that was more than 40% off the retail price.

|

1/11/2018 11:32 PM

Brendan44 wrote:

Thanks for the help,

On another note, just seen the legion up for $160 open box on amazon. Makes me wonder how much is costs ...more

Next to nothing probably, just steel tubes and chunks of aluminum.

Ive been beating the shit out of my legion and its been taking it with ease.

I did bend the sprocket but it was due to my lack of ability not the bike. I also grind on the right so having the drivetrain on the right is not the greatest for me. Im going to attempt to learn grinds on my left. The cranks are taking the damage like champs. Bars havent moved an inch. Wheels straight as from the factory, frame straight as an arrow, even the pedals and stem are holding up.

Love these bikes.

Gotta video coming up showing the internals of the 2018 rear hub. Its impressive!

|

1/12/2018 12:50 AM

Can we sticky this or something ? I’m constantly seeing this bikes name in threads and posts and I feel it’s happening to the point where it clogs other good threads. No disrespect to the person who posts them , just wanting to make sure it’s scene in one thread .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/12/2018 5:00 AM

Perhaps there's a way to enter those videos (Bulletpup) into the bike review area? I'm not sure if that's a possibility but Vital shows up a lot when you look for bike reviews & maybe that would be a place where it would serve the most. Getting something "stickied" as it's own thread (rather than in a "stickied" sub folder.... like the intro yourself thread) seems near impossible. I think the recent "buyers guide" posts are REALLY solid & should be stickied on their own to help noobs but I don't know that they ever will. In the case of the Mongoose Legion threads, before long, nobody cares about them because the new models come out & the old info is irrelevant.

|

1/12/2018 2:12 PM

the grind video sort of looks like the crank spindle may have bent after you broke the chain? or maybe it just looked that way because the chain was a little wompis cause it was broke when you gave the cranks a spin lol. all and all it looks pretty good for the price. My first bmx bike was an 18" chrome mongoose frame with mongoose parts and skyway 5 spoke mags, I wish I kept it in nice shape for show instead of treating it like crap, but I was like 11 and didn't know any better.

|

1/12/2018 2:39 PM

Shredkink9 wrote:

the grind video sort of looks like the crank spindle may have bent after you broke the chain? or maybe it just looked that way ...more

I bent the hell out of yesterday. Hit it about 50 times trying a 2+ foot concrete ledge. Messed up a lot. Had to hammer the teeth with a rock to get the sprocket to work. Then I Broke another chain. I brought the bike home, took the sprocket off and ordered a new one. I have to wait about a week so I decided to try and fix the bent/smashed sprocket, got nothing to lose.

I put it in a vice hammered it straight (about a 1/2 inch over) then placed the teeth on the flat part of the vice and hammered them straight. Laid the sprocket flat and hammered it till i felt no high spots, flipped it around and did the same. Took a metal file and filed the teeth down smooth on the sides and we are back in business!

Sprockets Straight as an arrow, again! Fixed the chains, put my pegs on my left side. Figured Id use this as a great opportunity to learn grinds on my opposite side. wink

|

1/12/2018 3:12 PM

Shredkink9 wrote:

the grind video sort of looks like the crank spindle may have bent after you broke the chain? or maybe it just looked that way ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

I bent the hell out of yesterday. Hit it about 50 times trying a 2+ foot concrete ledge. Messed up a lot. Had to hammer the ...more

Way to go! At least you'll be able so ride it until you get the new one... or just wait for the new one lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/12/2018 4:28 PM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I bent the hell out of yesterday. Hit it about 50 times trying a 2+ foot concrete ledge. Messed up a lot. Had to hammer the ...more

lol, well if you say the sprocket is back to normal I would still maybe ride the chain a tad loose just incase it is still a little off, that could put double the wear and tare on the chains and cassette, If that was me I would use that sprocket as a wall hanger until the new one came. you could always go chainless until the new sprocket arrives, and just foot push your bike around. and yea without a sprocket guard grinding on the drive side of your bike is always a risk to the chain and sprockets, it's always funny when a newby rider comes up to me and says your pegs are on the wrong side... just because a lot of people around my area grind on the right they think since I grind left I have it wrong sided.. I would like to get a sprocket guard and run 4 pegs eventually, or just 2 in the back and one up front

|

1/18/2018 12:44 PM

Looks like mongoose is trying to build a reputation with the real riders again.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/30/2018 12:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2018 12:44 PM

In your video you mention they are using a non standard headset, are replacements hard to find? Isn't 1 1/8 standard these days?

|

4/30/2018 5:32 PM

Faulker wrote:

In your video you mention they are using a non standard headset, are replacements hard to find? Isn't 1 1/8 standard these ...more

If you check the description on the videos it has the headset type. They are not hard to find online. Probably very hard to find at a lbs though.

|

4/30/2018 11:03 PM

Faulker wrote:

In your video you mention they are using a non standard headset, are replacements hard to find? Isn't 1 1/8 standard these ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

If you check the description on the videos it has the headset type. They are not hard to find online. Probably very hard to ...more

The product description says 1 1/8th integrated? That's industry standard for bmx. And is used on plenty of other bikes. It was nicknamed "campy" as the design was stolen from campagnolo (a road bike parts company). So any half decent bike shop should keep them in stock. Although, there's an abundance of headset sizes now, so I guess they can't keep them all in stock. They'd be able to get one simply enough

|

5/1/2018 6:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/1/2018 6:50 AM

Faulker wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

If you check the description on the videos it has the headset type. They are not hard to find online. Probably very hard to ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

The product description says 1 1/8th integrated? That's industry standard for bmx. And is used on plenty of other bikes. It ...more

If we are talking the 2018, mine came with a headset that is undersized for every frame I have and headsets from al my ofher bikes will simply not fit in the 2018 l100 head tube.

You can find the specific odd sized headset easy enough but it is smaller than a standard sized headset youd find in any bmx currently.

The item number is listed in my review of the 2018 legion l100.

|

5/2/2018 12:22 PM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I am still gett8ng used to grinds on the left..i can feeble, pegs, and crook but smith is hard to relearn the other way. Learning feebles on my left helped me learn feeble easy 180 and feeble nollies so its worth learning

|

5/2/2018 12:39 PM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

I am still gett8ng used to grinds on the left..i can feeble, pegs, and crook but smith is hard to relearn the other way. ...more

Nice man! I havent got around to dedicating time to 180 out of any grinds yet. Perhaps one day! smile

|

5/2/2018 2:03 PM

LOL, they're 839.00 on Amazon.ca. Fucking Hell!!! That's ridiculous. Amazon.ca is pretty fucking terrible though. Even when something is a deal they have like 2000 dollar shipping or something.

|

5/2/2018 5:02 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

I am still gett8ng used to grinds on the left..i can feeble, pegs, and crook but smith is hard to relearn the other way. ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Nice man! I havent got around to dedicating time to 180 out of any grinds yet. Perhaps one day! smile

Next time your at a ledge just fuck with them..and nollies ..those are 2 tricks that are easy to not get hurt on

|

10/1/2018 9:47 AM

It looks like the 2019 Legions are now available!

|