Exclusive: Tree Bike Co Rear Cassette Hub Review

Related:
Create New Tag

7/16/2010 7:39 AM

Sam from Tree Bike Co offered me a pre release Tree rear cassette hub for a sweet price about a year ago and this shit is hot!

Heres some specs:

Ceramic plain bearing (same as Proper hub driver)
Hub weighs 14oz
Straight pull spokes
Snap on non drive side hub guard available separately
Snap on cog guard available separately
-Female 17mm 4140 heatreated axle.
-the hub will be available in 36hole only
-Very special bearing system that allows no looseness in the hub while at the same time allowing no resistance to rolling from side loads. The bolts can be tightened as tight as you want and it will never make the wheel roll slower.

Photo

Check the review for more info.

Group Home Bikes - Tree Bike Co rear cassette hub review

|

Shredding the shit since 2001. Staten Island's finest.

Group Home Bikes

7/16/2010 7:41 AM

I had one of these hubs a month ago, great hub.

|

kobe bryant ready

7/16/2010 7:44 AM

Yea it's been kicking ass since day 1. I recently got the front hub also and it is smoooooth. Tree has always been killing it with their shit.

|

Group Home Bikes

7/16/2010 7:46 AM

GHBNYC wrote:

Yea it's been kicking ass since day 1. I recently got the front hub also and it is smoooooth. Tree has always been killing it with their shit.

I didnt like the hub guard tho, wasnt much help in the end.

|

kobe bryant ready

7/16/2010 7:50 AM

I agree, it's something I brought up in the review. The plastic hub guard works while it lasts but isn't so great overall. I double pegged up a ledge and that metal ring that holds it on snapped right off and went missing. After that the guard was dangling and just got destroyed over time. Probably the only real downer about these hubs.

|

Group Home Bikes

7/16/2010 8:04 AM

Yeah, true. and i just realized your group home bikes haha.

|

kobe bryant ready

7/16/2010 8:23 AM

holy shit they look good.
they are like the flybikes of hubs

|

7/16/2010 8:27 AM

Speaking of flybikes hubs. I replaced my front fly hub with a tree not too long ago. That thing sucked ass, it completely locked up on me after only a few months.

|

Group Home Bikes

7/16/2010 10:45 AM

GHBNYC wrote:

Speaking of flybikes hubs. I replaced my front fly hub with a tree not too long ago. That thing sucked ass, it completely locked up on me after only a few months.

Product is designed by the people who ride it, and when you look at who rides for fly bikes they are mainly pegless. I wouldn't expect anything more from a pegless hub being used with pegs. On the other hand my éclat front hub is probably my favorite hub and I would rate it up there with profile aswell.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

7/16/2010 4:01 PM

looks nice

|

7/16/2010 4:37 PM

can you run pegs wit it?

|

7/16/2010 6:56 PM

cupovjoe wrote:

Product is designed by the people who ride it, and when you look at who rides for fly bikes they are mainly pegless. I wouldn't expect anything more from a pegless hub being used with pegs. On the other hand my éclat front hub is probably my favorite hub and I would rate it up there with profile aswell.

Stop apologizing for Fly. They do make some good stuff but there is no reason for a hub to completely crunch up after under 1 year of use. The hub was shit from the day I got it, pegs or no pegs that hub blows.

|

Group Home Bikes

7/16/2010 6:57 PM

yes they are sexy.
But they'll prolly cost a fortune sad

|

7/16/2010 6:58 PM

AndySubrosa8 wrote:

can you run pegs wit it?

I've been running pegs with it for just over a year now and it's as smooth as ever. At first I was afraid of the female axle, but it's held up just fine. This has replaced Profile as my preferred cassette.

|

Group Home Bikes

7/16/2010 7:04 PM

bmx_is_rad wrote:

yes they are sexy.

Can't speak for the price. The deal I got at the time was pretty good, but again, this is a pre production hub so things may change. My guess is that it's probably gunna be around the same or a little more than a profile mini SS cassette. Either way it is definitely worth it.

|

Group Home Bikes

7/16/2010 7:07 PM

bmx_is_rad wrote:

yes they are sexy.

GHBNYC wrote:

Can't speak for the price. The deal I got at the time was pretty good, but again, this is a pre production hub so things may change. My guess is that it's probably gunna be around the same or a little more than a profile mini SS cassette. Either way it is definitely worth it.

yeah i guess..it does sound like one of the best hubs though...looks very tech too..

|

7/17/2010 1:22 PM

wow that design is crazy!!! haha it looks tight! i looked at it and thought it was a front hub tongue

|

you can call me Paulo...
Flickr
*Vital's official Filipino!*

7/17/2010 1:36 PM

bmx_is_rad wrote:

yes they are sexy.

They costed em $165 used but i got mine complete.

|

kobe bryant ready

2/19/2011 8:30 PM

bmx_is_rad wrote:

yes they are sexy.

hey jarrod you were right, and IMO i think they're ugly as fuck!

|

jarrod

2/19/2011 8:57 PM

do you know if there gonna bring gold back?

|

3/2/2011 12:33 PM

own both front/rear hubs and they are the standard!

|

7/26/2011 7:32 AM

front hub $100 https://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS-HUBSFRONT/427116/Tree_Front_Hub.html

rear hub $230 https://www.danscomp.com/426020.php

they are one of the lightest but make the strongest stiffest wheels ever and they are easy to lace

i dont have them but i getting them when i have the money

|