Expanding My Horizon.

Related:
Create New Tag

6/7/2014 6:48 PM

Today I am sort of in one of those "Fuck that. Fuck you, Fuck this." kinda moods and I have been getting in minor arguments with my homies about riding trails and hitting this one dirt jump. I hate trails. I really really really dislike them. I used to like them but then I started learning tricks on flat ground and then I learned how to grind and I became married to the streets. I LOVE riding street. Riding street is like my favorite thing to do. It's so fun to me. My friends that I ride with almost on a daily basis, like hitting this dirt jump and they plan to go to some real trails soon. I tried hitting dirt jumps and I can't successfully do it. I either overshoot the jump, case, nose dive, loop out, or just lose control in mid air and bail. I can't seem to hit jumps correctly. My friends tell me that I should try to learn how to ride trails and I think I shouldn't. I've tried plenty of times and I just can't do it. I get hurt trying to learn how to hit jumps too much.

Really my problem is, I don't ENJOY hitting dirt jumps at all. Like at all! My friends say that I should try to learn because with practice I can learn to love it (I think that's bullshit but whatever.) BMX is all about having fun so why would I try to do something that I don't enjoy doing?

What do you guys think? Sorry for the long read.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/7/2014 6:58 PM

If Street is Your thing & You don't like Dirt. DON'T BOTHER! Use Your time to perfect, excel & evolve Your Skills as a Street Rider!

|

6/7/2014 7:09 PM

Topsey wrote:

If Street is Your thing & You don't like Dirt. DON'T BOTHER! Use Your time to perfect, excel & evolve Your Skills as a Street Rider!

Most of me is saying that, but part of me wants to want to ride trails because that's what all of my friends want to do this summer.

|

YouTube

6/7/2014 7:18 PM

Well, being a well rounded rider is a good thing. But if you don't like it, don't do it. I'm that way with smiths and double pegs on ledges. Why should i do these grinds when they cause to much friction and aren't fun? I did a few of each just to say i could do them, but i never do them now. I think you should try trails, like real trails. Find a beginner line and go for it. If it doesn't work out, oh well. At least land it once!

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

6/7/2014 7:35 PM

If you don't like trails, you've probably never ridden trails.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

6/7/2014 7:43 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

If you don't like trails, you've probably never ridden trails.

You're sort of correct. I've hit large transitions though and didn't enjoy doing so.

|

YouTube

6/7/2014 7:50 PM

I mean, from what you've written it seems like you've rode trails enough to know you don't like it. Maybe go a few times with them just to be sure. But if after that you don't like it, don't bother. Ride what you like and fuck everyone else

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

6/7/2014 8:22 PM

bmxfromma wrote:

I mean, from what you've written it seems like you've rode trails enough to know you don't like it. Maybe go a few times with them just to be sure. But if after that you don't like it, don't bother. Ride what you like and fuck everyone else

Right. The big thing is that I am really scared of dirt jumps and stuff even more than before because I was injured. I was pushing it. I thought maybe I just wasn't doing it right because I wasn't having fun so I went fast, nose dove, went from like 5 feet straight to my shoulder. I severely strained my bicep tendon and had a deep tissue contusion in my shoulder. I did almost nothing because of extreme pain for 3 weeks, got back on my bike taking baby steps afterwards. That happened in April and my arm will still act up every once in a while to this day.

|

YouTube

6/7/2014 8:37 PM

bmxfromma wrote:

Stocksy wrote:

Right. The big thing is that I am really scared of dirt jumps and stuff even more than before because I was injured. I was pushing it. I thought maybe I just wasn't doing it right because I wasn't having fun so I went fast, nose dove, went from like 5 feet straight to my shoulder. I severely strained my bicep tendon and had a deep tissue contusion in my shoulder. I did almost nothing because of extreme pain for 3 weeks, got back on my bike taking baby steps afterwards. That happened in April and my arm will still act up every once in a while to this day.

So then really ask yourself do you dislike the jumps because they arent your thing or do you dislike them because you are scared... If its really because you are scared then you need to try and ride them and get over your fear of them.

|

6/7/2014 8:59 PM

I know how you feel, im the same way but the exact opposite i lve trails and hate riding street and park (mostly park though). Which makes no sense considering i live in the middle of los Angeles and the nearest trails are about an hour and a half away. I've been trying to get more into street just to expand my trick list and especially now that i have almost no time to go down to the trails with work and school taking up pretty much all my time. But i just cant get into it im use to the speed and air you can get in trails and i know if i try stuff like that in street it wont end up well for me lol so i end up just jumping smallish stair sets and i cant grind so thats out of the question...i knoe i should try and learn but im just not motivated to ride street enough to get me to really push myself

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

6/8/2014 10:06 AM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

So then really ask yourself do you dislike the jumps because they arent your thing or do you dislike them because you are scared... If its really because you are scared then you need to try and ride them and get over your fear of them.

I thought about that but then I realized that I didn't have much fun riding them before I hurt myself. Once I learned how to grind and do tricks on flat ground and stuff, every time I'd be hitting a dirt jump. I'd think "Man, I'd much rather be try to do lines at the grind ledge right now."

|

YouTube

6/8/2014 10:10 AM

@handlebar-to-face On one hand, I think everyone should try to have skills in everything. Everyone should try to be a well-rounded rider and have at least a little skills in every kind of riding. But on the other hand, if you aren't having fun on your bike, you're sort of wasting your time! I'll be 15 next month so that means next year, I'll be looking for a real job and that will mean less time on my bike. So I feel like I really need to take advantage of the time that I have where nothing is really holding me back.

|

YouTube

6/8/2014 10:46 AM

You have to enjoy speed and air. And digging. If you show up to my trails, ride, and leave without even helping dig, you're not coming back. It's a different atmosphere too.

|

6/8/2014 10:50 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

You have to enjoy speed and air. And digging. If you show up to my trails, ride, and leave without even helping dig, you're not coming back. It's a different atmosphere too.

My friends and I are cool. I like going fast and being in the air. I love doing big drops! I've jumped off of a roof! I'm not one of those street riders that just do 180s (even though I do that a lot lol) I do bigger scale stuff!

|

YouTube

6/8/2014 12:57 PM

Do what you want to do. If they wanna ride trails, maybe get a little charcoal grill and cook up some brats while you're there hanging with the homies, and use it for your downtime to dial in your setup (assuming you go with on occasion).

Or give it a go once in a while?

BMX is about fun, and it is good that you tried. Don't necessarily rule it out, just maybe take a break from dirt for a bit, and give it a go at the end of summer to see if things change for you.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/8/2014 1:08 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Stocksy wrote:

My friends and I are cool. I like going fast and being in the air. I love doing big drops! I've jumped off of a roof! I'm not one of those street riders that just do 180s (even though I do that a lot lol) I do bigger scale stuff!

I think you'd like big, fast trails. Big air and lots of ballsy stuff. Tips for not eating shit: go slower than you think you need to. That's how I got it. And brakes. I can't ride trails without brakes.

|

6/8/2014 2:09 PM

I think you should learn, the feeling of riding trails is awesome. I don't think you can say you don't like something unless you can actually do it either, go along and ride till you can fully ride the trails from start to finish, if its still not for you then fair enough but you can't judge unless you have actually done it imo.

|

6/8/2014 7:21 PM

You havent ridden actual trails dude. You just dont like my jump because you are scared because you fell and got hurt once, when in reality it isnt bad and you gotta get back up and try again.

And ill say it again, you are being contrary. (Like a hipster since i know you dont know what that word means haha) And because most others that use the jump (Chaz and me and Nathan and Walker, even though he is a nut) you like to be on the otherside of the argument, therefore creating the argument to seem different, when in reality, you are missing out on a lot of fun if you just went for it and tried.

You are probably saying "Oh BMX is for fun though, so i do what i like!" And you HATED Adam22 a little while ago and now like him. You HATED riding park and now you enjoy it (Dont lie, you said you did). BMX is for fun, but nothing comes automatically. I didn't like salad and nowadays after i GAVE IT A CHANCE i actually kinda like it. It has to grow on you dude and once you understand why me and Chaz enjoy it you will too. You pedal real fast down the road, pump the little thing and go off the jump (usually kinda high) and land on the transition and have a whole field to slow down in, which i wish i could put a whole set of jumps in but everyone is lazy and refuses to help sad

So what i am saying is, FUN isnt FREE. You have to try to have fun and getting back up after the crash you took will eventually lead to fun. Come on man, ride with us. And WHEN have i given you bad advice? Every bit of advice i have given you has been right and you know it. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/8/2014 7:45 PM

try front brakes....dirt ron status!!!

|

It’s all bmx

6/8/2014 7:47 PM

I started learning tricks on flat ground and then I learned how to grind and I became married to the streets. I LOVE riding street. Riding street is like my favorite thing to do.

^^^^^^^^^^
realest shit I've ever heard i totally agree

|

Rails not Trails

6/9/2014 2:48 PM

I know exactly what you mean. no matter what I fuck up trails, I can maybe do a jump. packs ruin my day. ive destroyed my knee and shoulder trying trails, I used to be okay on dirt, but now its just a no. lolol

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/9/2014 3:40 PM

If you don't like it and don't want to ride trails, then you'll never develop the ability to do so. You don't want to make learning trails a chore; you'll end up hurtning yourself again. I started on trails by having a "bail friendly" jump with a soft landing, which is a great way to dial in bike control, speed and confidence, gradually learning how to flow a pack. If you're able to build your own jumps then you can easily make a "bail friendly" jump and progress from there, learning with a reduced chance of getting hurt. Also, if you really hate trails so much then you wouldn't care or be posting about them; it's obviously something you're considering getting better at. Good luck.

|

6/9/2014 4:47 PM

I'm the same way. just go and chill. If you hit something then fine. Try to do something uncomfortable but if not then enjoy the vibe.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/10/2014 7:02 PM

RapandBMX wrote:

I started learning tricks on flat ground and then I learned how to grind and I became married to the streets. I LOVE riding street. Riding street is like my favorite thing to do.

^^^^^^^^^^
realest shit I've ever heard i totally agree

I like you.

|

YouTube

6/11/2014 6:57 AM

I say don't if you don't wanna? I'm not a big fan of riding dirt, it is fun but i get bored fast and pretty much always come home with a head injury

|

6/11/2014 4:37 PM

Rails not trails

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy