Exposure good or bad

Related:
Create New Tag

8/27/2019 1:36 PM

Seen many people mention exposure of Bmx. Generally it seems to be assumed that exposure is a good thing and can only benefit bmx. However I also have some doubts on that. I have learned through other sports earlier on in my life that exposure brings lots of wanna be pros, like all of a sudden everyone seems to know something about it. Or buy a top of the line custom bike and not really ride it, hey man I’m a fucking great rider I’ve been to that famous park once. But they’re not really in to it. Thoughts

|

8/27/2019 1:48 PM

puts more money into bmx.
good thing.
brings a lot of kids who aren’t very good at bmx but have a lot of opiniona?
sounds like vital to me.

|

13 years old

8/28/2019 12:59 PM

BMX is pretty exposed as is, it will never be skateboarding though, because it's more expensive, harder to pick up, less community around it, etc.

BMX just has a higher buy-in to get started. Most people don't do research when buying a first bike, so they see their only option as a 300+ complete from a company (or they buy a Walmart bike and find that the geos are wack and it makes learning a lot harder).

I'd also say that BMX is a harder thing for younger kids to start, given the need for technique and some body strength, so a skateboard and scooter is way more approachable. Hell, even when I was growing up, my mom didn't even let me buy a legit skateboard, it was always the shitty Walmart ones, she would have laughed her ass off if I said I wanted a $300+ trick bike. lol

I also think a large portion of people starting get super discouraged on a bike, because things generally look a lot less cooler on a bike if you aren't hauling ass, hopping high, airing, etc.

|

8/28/2019 2:40 PM

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

BMX is pretty exposed as is, it will never be skateboarding though, because it's more expensive, harder to pick up, less community around it, etc.

BMX just has a higher buy-in to get started. Most people don't do research when buying a first bike, so they see their only option as a 300+ complete from a company (or they buy a Walmart bike and find that the geos are wack and it makes learning a lot harder).

I'd also say that BMX is a harder thing for younger kids to start, given the need for technique and some body strength, so a skateboard and scooter is way more approachable. Hell, even when I was growing up, my mom didn't even let me buy a legit skateboard, it was always the shitty Walmart ones, she would have laughed her ass off if I said I wanted a $300+ trick bike. lol

I also think a large portion of people starting get super discouraged on a bike, because things generally look a lot less cooler on a bike if you aren't hauling ass, hopping high, airing, etc.

I agree with the price thing...bikes, even "cheap" bikes are pretty expensive when compared to a peice of plywood with sandpaper glued on and some wheels underneathe lol.

I dont think it is more difficult to start than a skateboard though. I think it is easier until you get to more advanced tricks, especially with an appropriately sized bike.

|

8/29/2019 1:08 AM

I don't get the point of this thread exactly, but that's always a given on any forum really.

Anyway the comparison to skateboarding is kinda odd to say that BMX will 'never' be as big, when really skateboarding just evolved in an earlier era. What skateboarding is today is pretty much the same thing it was 20 years ago, where as BMX has certainly still been in the evolution phase through that same period.

Don't come at me with skaters are throwing down way harder today either, I don't fucking care. Rodney Mullen and others back in the day pretty much had the evolution of tech covered even by todays standards.

|

8/29/2019 5:30 AM

If some guy with money goes into his local bmx shop and buys 1500 worth of a custom build, whether he rides that bike and loves bmx or not. I can’t see how that’s a bad thing for bmx. And especially for that shop.

There’s always been posers in bmx and skateboarding. That’s never going to change.

Is it good for the “sport” in general? It depends. I grew up riding when bmx was very punk and diy. But times have changed as it’s grown in popularity. It’s become one of those things that your average kid gets into at some point. The only bad thing really, in my opinion, is that the new cool brands are the ones most kids decide to support. Not the brands that have been around over 20 years. A lot of the old brands struggled while bmx was dead, and are struggling now because they’re not as cool. Even though they’re the ones that supported bmx as a whole from their beginnings. Bmx is a cash cow again for certain brands, and there’s not that much cash in bmx as it is. Some kid will see a flair whip on an oilslick bike in a purpose built training facility, and think that’s what bmx is. And that’s what they’ll aspire to be. It’s becoming a mainstream sport, not just friends pissing about on bikes.

But it’s what you want it to be really. The underground scene won’t die off. Punk kids will still huck stuff, the east coast style won’t die out. Just like skateboarding, it’s almost become 2 different things. Gold medal chasing athletes, and guys that just do it because they enjoy it.

|

8/29/2019 6:09 AM

It's way more diverse than just two modes of riders. There's racing, trails, street, flatland, park, and there's always gonna be different cats with varied styles in all of the above.

And as for brands I think people will gravitate to whatever suits them stylistically. I love FBM for the history and Crandall is a rad individual, but I wouldn't buy any of their shelf frames cause there's nothing with the geo I would want.

Times change and shit evolves, you either move with it or you stay in the place you already are.

|

8/29/2019 6:21 AM

streethack wrote:

It's way more diverse than just two modes of riders. There's racing, trails, street, flatland, park, and there's always gonna be different cats with varied styles in all of the above.

And as for brands I think people will gravitate to whatever suits them stylistically. I love FBM for the history and Crandall is a rad individual, but I wouldn't buy any of their shelf frames cause there's nothing with the geo I would want.

Times change and shit evolves, you either move with it or you stay in the place you already are.

I think you misunderstood me. There’s riders from all disciplines that ride because they love it, and riders from all disciplines that want to be the best, win the medals, and make the money. Some guy who enjoys getting laps in the woods has the same mentality as the guy who like to cruise the street at night, or the guy that spins around in a tennis court on the weekend. And that’s a different mentality to the guys that train and constantly push themselves to get better and better, and plan competitions into their diary

|

8/29/2019 6:43 AM

Definitely. That's always going to be the case, but it's crazy to think how diverse the sport really is.

Why it will exceed skateboarding in the future IMO. I don't get it when people think it'll never be as big as skating, when skateboarding only grows by default (stupid population growth) no doubt.

|

8/29/2019 10:18 AM

streethack wrote:

Definitely. That's always going to be the case, but it's crazy to think how diverse the sport really is.

Why it will exceed skateboarding in the future IMO. I don't get it when people think it'll never be as big as skating, when skateboarding only grows by default (stupid population growth) no doubt.

I don't think it will exceed skateboarding because too many parents are unwilling to let their kids do things that might get them hurt, access to parks etc is less for BMX (due to ignorance), and it is more expensive to start. Parents are more willing to toss out 125 bucks on a complete board than they are 300-500 for a decent entry level bike. The image of BMX these days has a huge "drugs/drinking/being a partier/not caring what anyone thinks/doing whatever you want" influence that turns parents away. Skateboarding has this too, but it seems to be less of an influence on whether a parent is ok with the sport or not.

They see a skateboard and typically see guys less than 3 feet off the ground. They see that kids can shred curbs and sidewalks, and rails are a foot tall. They see ramps that are knee high. That tells them skinned knees and maybe a rolled ankle for common injuries.

Those same parents see (mainstream) bmx stuff on TV and assume all riding is 20+ feet up, 30+ foot gaps, flips and spins (The very same thing happened when they built a local skatepark-the PARKS AND REC people even thought BMX was too risky, despite being sent videos and pictures of dudes like 2 feet up on a ledge).They imagine their kid flying through the air, hitting the ground like a bag of potatoes and then hospital stays, broken bones and teeth, and a trashed bike that will be 300+ bucks to replace.

They see trashed/tagged skateparks, and the skaters immediately blame BMX (at least locally), which instantly puts a bad taste in those ill-informed parents mouths about us. I've got a lot of experience on this one. Blamed for all kinds of stuff, prove them wrong and tell them off in a polite way that proves their ignorance.

Granted, all "action" sports have grown over the years a TON, exposure online etc and easy to access content is a huge part of it (kid sees a rad video and says "I wanna do that" much more commonly now), but I don't think we will get to that level...at least not with some work which includes a little more "positive imagery" making it out there in content.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/29/2019 12:42 PM

Yeah I can agree on the image part. To be honest I was surprised to see how fucked some of that is these days on social media, and with the likes of Cult selling weed grinders recently I gotta say that shit is a bad look.

I don't know what the fuck they're thinking, if they even have the capability.

|

8/29/2019 4:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/29/2019 5:00 PM

.pegless. wrote:

If some guy with money goes into his local bmx shop and buys 1500 worth of a custom build, whether he rides that bike and loves bmx or not. I can’t see how that’s a bad thing for bmx. And especially for that shop.

There’s always been posers in bmx and skateboarding. That’s never going to change.

Is it good for the “sport” in general? It depends. I grew up riding when bmx was very punk and diy. But times have changed as it’s grown in popularity. It’s become one of those things that your average kid gets into at some point. The only bad thing really, in my opinion, is that the new cool brands are the ones most kids decide to support. Not the brands that have been around over 20 years. A lot of the old brands struggled while bmx was dead, and are struggling now because they’re not as cool. Even though they’re the ones that supported bmx as a whole from their beginnings. Bmx is a cash cow again for certain brands, and there’s not that much cash in bmx as it is. Some kid will see a flair whip on an oilslick bike in a purpose built training facility, and think that’s what bmx is. And that’s what they’ll aspire to be. It’s becoming a mainstream sport, not just friends pissing about on bikes.

But it’s what you want it to be really. The underground scene won’t die off. Punk kids will still huck stuff, the east coast style won’t die out. Just like skateboarding, it’s almost become 2 different things. Gold medal chasing athletes, and guys that just do it because they enjoy it.

This is me.. my son wanted to get into bmx and I was all for it. When i was a kid you couldnt get me off of a bike and i absolutely loved it. I built my son a custom and decided when i was done i was going to build myself something. 1300.00 later I'm no better than I was the day I built it but I'm proud of it and I'd be content snapping one of my old bones trying to land what ever trick I'm going after. To me, BMX is in your blood if you're old... or a passion when youre young and that cant be a bad thing.

|

8/29/2019 7:59 PM

.pegless. wrote:

If some guy with money goes into his local bmx shop and buys 1500 worth of a custom build, whether he rides that bike and loves bmx or not. I can’t see how that’s a bad thing for bmx. And especially for that shop.

There’s always been posers in bmx and skateboarding. That’s never going to change.

Is it good for the “sport” in general? It depends. I grew up riding when bmx was very punk and diy. But times have changed as it’s grown in popularity. It’s become one of those things that your average kid gets into at some point. The only bad thing really, in my opinion, is that the new cool brands are the ones most kids decide to support. Not the brands that have been around over 20 years. A lot of the old brands struggled while bmx was dead, and are struggling now because they’re not as cool. Even though they’re the ones that supported bmx as a whole from their beginnings. Bmx is a cash cow again for certain brands, and there’s not that much cash in bmx as it is. Some kid will see a flair whip on an oilslick bike in a purpose built training facility, and think that’s what bmx is. And that’s what they’ll aspire to be. It’s becoming a mainstream sport, not just friends pissing about on bikes.

But it’s what you want it to be really. The underground scene won’t die off. Punk kids will still huck stuff, the east coast style won’t die out. Just like skateboarding, it’s almost become 2 different things. Gold medal chasing athletes, and guys that just do it because they enjoy it.

ESKEW77 wrote:

This is me.. my son wanted to get into bmx and I was all for it. When i was a kid you couldnt get me off of a bike and i absolutely loved it. I built my son a custom and decided when i was done i was going to build myself something. 1300.00 later I'm no better than I was the day I built it but I'm proud of it and I'd be content snapping one of my old bones trying to land what ever trick I'm going after. To me, BMX is in your blood if you're old... or a passion when youre young and that cant be a bad thing.

That’s definitely better for bmx than the other old guys that spend silly money on carpet queen midschool and oldschool bikes. Their money is going to some guy who’s probably flipping and doesn’t really care about bmx.

Unfortunately, a lot of young riders can’t afford to buy new. So the second hand market is saturated. Which in turn means shops don’t sell as much. And a lot of kids have no brand or product knowledge. They’ll buy a shitty second hand part just because it’s the right colour.

I think the reason bmx will never be as big as skateboarding is massively down to price. Bmx parts are pretty cheap compared to other disciplines of cycling, but still a lot more than a skateboard. When I used to skate I’d buy a new deck every month, and shoes every 2 months, just because I preferred the feeling of fresh gear. Over the course of a year that’s still less than it costs to run a bike. Maybe the skateboard industry is doing well because a deck will only last a couple of months if you skate a lot, and who really buys a second hand deck? The market seems saturated, but think how many decks a shop with a decent scene will shift. I used to go to slam city in London, and they always had a steady flow of customers. It wouldn’t surprise me if they shifted a few hundred decks a week.

|

8/29/2019 10:35 PM

.pegless. wrote:

If some guy with money goes into his local bmx shop and buys 1500 worth of a custom build, whether he rides that bike and loves bmx or not. I can’t see how that’s a bad thing for bmx. And especially for that shop.

There’s always been posers in bmx and skateboarding. That’s never going to change.

Is it good for the “sport” in general? It depends. I grew up riding when bmx was very punk and diy. But times have changed as it’s grown in popularity. It’s become one of those things that your average kid gets into at some point. The only bad thing really, in my opinion, is that the new cool brands are the ones most kids decide to support. Not the brands that have been around over 20 years. A lot of the old brands struggled while bmx was dead, and are struggling now because they’re not as cool. Even though they’re the ones that supported bmx as a whole from their beginnings. Bmx is a cash cow again for certain brands, and there’s not that much cash in bmx as it is. Some kid will see a flair whip on an oilslick bike in a purpose built training facility, and think that’s what bmx is. And that’s what they’ll aspire to be. It’s becoming a mainstream sport, not just friends pissing about on bikes.

But it’s what you want it to be really. The underground scene won’t die off. Punk kids will still huck stuff, the east coast style won’t die out. Just like skateboarding, it’s almost become 2 different things. Gold medal chasing athletes, and guys that just do it because they enjoy it.

ESKEW77 wrote:

This is me.. my son wanted to get into bmx and I was all for it. When i was a kid you couldnt get me off of a bike and i absolutely loved it. I built my son a custom and decided when i was done i was going to build myself something. 1300.00 later I'm no better than I was the day I built it but I'm proud of it and I'd be content snapping one of my old bones trying to land what ever trick I'm going after. To me, BMX is in your blood if you're old... or a passion when youre young and that cant be a bad thing.

.pegless. wrote:

That’s definitely better for bmx than the other old guys that spend silly money on carpet queen midschool and oldschool bikes. Their money is going to some guy who’s probably flipping and doesn’t really care about bmx.

Unfortunately, a lot of young riders can’t afford to buy new. So the second hand market is saturated. Which in turn means shops don’t sell as much. And a lot of kids have no brand or product knowledge. They’ll buy a shitty second hand part just because it’s the right colour.

I think the reason bmx will never be as big as skateboarding is massively down to price. Bmx parts are pretty cheap compared to other disciplines of cycling, but still a lot more than a skateboard. When I used to skate I’d buy a new deck every month, and shoes every 2 months, just because I preferred the feeling of fresh gear. Over the course of a year that’s still less than it costs to run a bike. Maybe the skateboard industry is doing well because a deck will only last a couple of months if you skate a lot, and who really buys a second hand deck? The market seems saturated, but think how many decks a shop with a decent scene will shift. I used to go to slam city in London, and they always had a steady flow of customers. It wouldn’t surprise me if they shifted a few hundred decks a week.

I agree with this whole heartedly! I also don’t get the spending loads of money on old school/mid school bikes, but to each their own!

Its most certainly down to cost, if you look at BMX and compare it to other disciplines of cycling, BMX is a lot cheaper. Which is why you’ll see a lot more kids down the skatepark on a BMX than you see kids at the mountain bike park or trails where you’re looking at 2-3X the cost of a high end complete BMX just to get you a mountain bike that’s half decent. I honestly think that if BMX bikes were the same cost as a scooter, you’d see more riders than scooter kids. Or at the very least, a more even spread.

|

8/30/2019 2:56 AM

Despite all that, second hand bmx bikes have never been more worthless to resell.

I remember selling a WTP custom roughly 15 years ago for probably more than what you would get today for the equivalent level of second hand bike. Not to mention the depreciation of the dollar in that time, a bike can be had for next to nothing in comparison to back in those days.

|