Ezra/Salt Trapez freecoaster female axle alternative

Related:
Create New Tag

4/1/2016 12:32 PM

I've been looking for an option for a female axle for my Ezra freecoaster for a bit now. Various old topics and links led me to find that Animal, Season, Cinema VX2, Colony Clone, Premium Stinger, Proper & BSD axles are viable alternatives,female included. Score!! Or so I thought...see below. I purchased a Colony axle (bottom)and I'm not quite sure I want to run it. The smooth section of the axle isn't quite long enough(right side of Colony female axle), and that's where the driver rests. I'm afraid to run it and eventually blow out my drivers side bearing(maybe repeatedly). My thought is that without enough support underneath the bearing, the side to side load could cause the bearing to fail prematurely. Am I over-thinking this?

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

Free thinkers are dangerous

4/1/2016 1:19 PM

I'm not aware of the ezra set up. I'm thinking the bush would sit on the smooth part of the axle on your current hub? Which would account for it being slightly longer? And on the new axle it would sit after the smooth part, but the driver would sit on perfectly? I could be completely wrong, but without seeing how your current axle was set up with the hub, and the new axle with its correct hub, I can't tell.

But you're right that if it doesn't fit nice and snug, you will go through bearings like a hooker goes through antiseptic cream

|

4/1/2016 10:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2016 3:51 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm not aware of the ezra set up. I'm thinking the bush would sit on the smooth part of the axle on your current hub? Which ...more

Exactly! And it's a moot point anyway, i assembled the hub with the female axle and it sticks through the drop-out on one side and the other it's flush with the lock-nut. I work beside a machine shop,guess that's my next choice. i'll find out if they can customize the stock axle to female.

|

4/3/2016 6:10 AM

When I saw your thread I thought it would be possible. What colony axle is that? is that from the wasp cassette?

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

4/3/2016 10:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2016 10:41 AM

neophyte16 wrote:

When I saw your thread I thought it would be possible. What colony axle is that? is that from the wasp cassette?

It is the Wasp axle, I thought I ordered the Clone like I listed above. Are they interchangeable? I don't know. I e-mailed Patrick from Flatlandfuel.com where I bought the axle, to see if he knows. Maybe I received the wrong axle.

Edit:I e-mailed Colony too

|

4/3/2016 4:02 PM

dikdiamond wrote:

It is the Wasp axle, I thought I ordered the Clone like I listed above. Are they interchangeable? I don't know. I e-mailed ...more

I don't think they're interchangeable just from Danscomp's description here. If they were interchangeable I would imagine they'd just list both the Wasp & Clone under the same thing like "14mm male axle for Wasp & Clone cassette hubs" but instead they have them listed separately.

Of course that's just a guess, only way to know for sure is wait for a reply. Maybe you did receive the wrong axle. I know in an old thread it was confirmed that the post-2008 Proper axles fit them but good luck finding one of those, I couldn't find any when I Googled but I also didn't dig too deep.

|

4/4/2016 6:58 AM

Turns out I did receive the wrong axle, and Clint from Colony responded back and confirmed that they are different. I e-mailed Patrick@Flatlandfuel and he's going to ship me a BSD axle free of charge. So, all is not lost, hope to get the replacement axle by the end of the week. Hope this is it! Worst case is I have to order a Colony Clone axle from Ebay Australia lol

|

4/4/2016 11:38 AM

dikdiamond wrote:

Turns out I did receive the wrong axle, and Clint from Colony responded back and confirmed that they are different. I e-mailed ...more

Or email Clint back (if it is Clint Millar he OWNS it) and see if there is a dealer in the US that can get it to you.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/4/2016 11:49 AM

dikdiamond wrote:

Turns out I did receive the wrong axle, and Clint from Colony responded back and confirmed that they are different. I e-mailed ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Or email Clint back (if it is Clint Millar he OWNS it) and see if there is a dealer in the US that can get it to you.

True, that probably would be the best route if the BSD axle doesn't work out. I was impressed that he responded back himself. But hopefully the free axle is the match.

|

4/5/2016 2:10 AM

dikdiamond wrote:

True, that probably would be the best route if the BSD axle doesn't work out. I was impressed that he responded back himself. ...more

Post an update. If it works I would buy one for me.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

4/5/2016 9:07 AM

I will keep this updated, Patrick@ flatlandfuel said it should be shipped out by Wednesday.

|

4/9/2016 4:28 PM

Got the BSD axle today, it's not going to work either. The center spacing is off, plus it needs press-on jam nuts and collars. I had no idea it was like that, bummer. I emailed Colony again to see if I can buy a Clone axle directly from them.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

4/13/2016 12:02 PM

Emailed Clint@Colony, he said my only option was to buy the one remaining Clone hub and get the axle that way. No go there, I have no use for the hub. Instead, I ordered a Clone axle from a dealer in Australia, luxbmx.com. More updates when the axle arrives.

|

4/13/2016 9:44 PM

I don't usually insult people, and I AM TRULY SORRY for what I will say, but man, geez. I can't control myself anymore.

I can't believe how much carbon dioxide you are going to put into the atmosphere just because you want a cosmetic change from a male axle to a female axle. Are your testosterone levels that high? Whats the problem with a male axle? You're afraid we'll call you gay?

That's going to be three axles you ordered, two came by car/truck, and one that surely will have to get to the states by plane. We'll thank people like you in a hundred years when the world will have turned into a desert. What does measure twice, cut once say to you?

You said you lived near a machine shop.

Now, what is a machine shop for? I think it's to make the city look nice, I guess?

Funny thing is that you paid more for those 3 axles (+shipping, tax, whatever) than to have made a quick mod on a lathe and mill.

Ciao, hope you don't want to kill me now.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

4/14/2016 2:54 PM

Don't know who you think you are, don't really care. Go troll somewhere else. You're entitled to your opinion, you've said that, now move along.

|

4/14/2016 10:54 PM

I would suggest trying bsd hardware, but there's no point with the spacing out by that much. It seems a bit shitty colony can't help you with an axle and tried to sell you a new hub instead!

Problem solving is fun. And I'm pretty sure the delivery vans aren't driving across the country just to deliver an axle......

|

4/14/2016 11:59 PM

dikdiamond wrote:

Don't know who you think you are, don't really care. Go troll somewhere else. You're entitled to your opinion, you've said ...more

I don't care who I think I am-I care about what I do and what other people do. As for you, you are just a no-name person that I will never see in my life-so don't think I care about you-I'm caring about what everyone should care about: the world we are living in.

As for my opinion, it's the opinion of people who are sane.

Someone had to do it. I'm just doing everyone's job and respecting the condition of the planet. Why do you think it's going past 122 F in places like India to make the road tarmac melt? What about the africans eating grass like cattle just because there is no food left? Does anyone give a shit about the polar bear anymore? What about all those terrorist acts in the past months? Don't close yourself into a BMX bubble-think about the world we live in and all the small acts that can make a change.

Don't count on Trump or the government with the panama papers.

Just take a moment to see my point of view- understand that you are wasting real energy just to change an axle to a female version.

For what? Looks? Form after function-not the other way around.

It's fine to change the axle-if it happens like it should (if it was properly planned-aka one try).

It has taken you three attempts just to change an axle. The axle was probably made in Taiwan, sent to the dock by truck, loaded onto a diesel cargo ship to Australia, then will take the truck to the airport, then sent to the states burning kerosene, then again a stint in a truck before arriving at your door.

If you were pro at a reputable brand for a few 10 years already, then, okay, I'll take the fact that you want more performance.

One question and I'll shut up:

Why do you need to switch to female axles???

If the last one does not work, whisk yourself away to the machine shop and it'll be done in a blink.

I'm just doing my job.

|

4/15/2016 12:01 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I would suggest trying bsd hardware, but there's no point with the spacing out by that much. It seems a bit shitty colony ...more

I was surprised at first that Colony didn't have any axles until Clint said that they hadn't made them in 4 yrs I think he said. BSD probably changed their axles as well. The info I based this on is old, and not much to support it in the way of pictures or discussion.

You're right problem solving is fun! I like to explore and dig and find out what works off the shelf, sometimes you get surprised and the idea works.

|

4/15/2016 12:31 PM

dikdiamond wrote:

Don't know who you think you are, don't really care. Go troll somewhere else. You're entitled to your opinion, you've said ...more

Skylight wrote:

I don't care who I think I am-I care about what I do and what other people do. As for you, you are just a no-name person that ...more

his opinion doesn't change facts that the delivery service will run the same routes regardless of whether you order multiple parts or not. there's not a 747 flying from australia exclusively shipping your axle. the UPS truck that delivers it doesn't make separate trips back and forth from the distribution center for each parcel.

this is a bmx forum, take the al gore shit elsewhere

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

4/15/2016 1:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2016 1:40 PM

Part of the issue is hearing conflicting information from people with minimal legitimate sources, and going with it to get the hub going again. The best answer is ALWAYS CONTACT THE MAKER OF THE PARTS-in this case Salt (WTP) OR Eastern (Ezra). The hubs are the same from the same place, and labelled for the respective brands. Perhaps those places would have some access to sources of the parts needed.

At this point you have 3 choices.

Contact Salt/WTP or Eastern/Ezra and see if they can source if for you.

Say screw it and buy a new hub/wheel.

Take it to the machine shop to MAKE THE AXLE WORK.

As to Skylights comment, yes, we do need to be mindful of our planet-things are changing and we could very easily input things to work to change them back or slow down the issues, but at the same time ordering an axle and finding out it is not correct happens. We cannot flip out on the kid who didn't get the correct part due to misinformation. If anything you should be flipping out on the companies that use the HUGE fuel burning, smog emitting machines etc. You should also be after BATTERY companies, as the making of batteries is about as harmful to the Earth as you can get. Also, even though Colony is based in Australia, chances are good the parts went from the shop that made them to a truck to a boat or plane to the US distribution centers-not to Colony HQ and then out and around the world. That would be a huge waste of money.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/15/2016 1:43 PM

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Ezra-freecoaster-custom-axle,1300477

Hit up this dude and see if he can figure it out for ya.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/17/2016 5:48 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Part of the issue is hearing conflicting information from people with minimal legitimate sources, and going with it to get the ...more

Thanks for the comment, Dave, I was starting to wonder if nobody saw what I truly wanted to say. I was starting to get desperate to see all the "take your shit elsewhere, we don't want to see this, we don't care about this" behavior. Thanks again to not swish me aside.

I do unleash my energy on energy consuming stuff and all the horrible things going on (batteries for ex and the open lithium mines in Africa) elsewhere, but I couldn't stop myself from trying to make some sense in some guys. Living in a country with a lot of smog (being a ultralight pilot makes it worst-my flying is limited to a few months of clear weather-and no, ultralights dontpollute that much-like a well used harley in fact).

I'm just overheating due to the fact that there were no interesting drawings, blueprints on ideas to make the axle work (with the machine shop) XD

Thanks again Dave, now I can breathe...

|

8/20/2016 6:48 AM

Did this ever work? I'm ordering an ezra hub soon as it's cheap and I think the best design (odyssey and profile are good obviously, but cost far too much, and are more over built and complicated than I need/think they need to be). The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a male axle.

|

8/20/2016 6:59 PM

Your post motivated me to finish this. I used the Colony axle in my first post. I don't believe that the lack of land where the driver rests will cause the bearings to fail but I could be wrong. I don't do many spins or airs or put a ton of force on the driveside plus I barely grind opposite. I'll find out after a few sessions although for now I took off my right peg (driveside) to re-learn pedal grinds.

I had to cut a piece of the non-driveside axle off to make it flush, which wasn't too difficult. Finding 3/8 adapters was the hardest part I think, found some in my parts bin.

Photo

Photo

I got in a hurry and didn't take a photo of the axle cut off but included a pic showing the adapter in the dropout. I'm riding in the morning so I'll test it out a bit and report back.

|