FREECOASTERS

Related:
Create New Tag

2/10/2014 12:08 PM

Been debating on getting a Freecoaster. Are they actually worth trying out? Ive heard alot of poepl say that there to much of a pain to deal with and break alot easier than Cassette Hubs

If I were to get one, what is a good one to get?

|

2/10/2014 12:42 PM

Ride chainless for atleast a month before making your decision. Its basically EXACTLY like that when it comes to fakies... No pedal pressure to gauge speed or get out of the fakie and you eat shit if you try. Engagement is generally poor aswell but you get used to it fairly fast and it doesn't change much unless you ride trails frequently.

Or get a Salt Trapez coaster. Try it out and if you dont like it, flip it back to cassette mode.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/10/2014 12:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2014 12:44 PM

From my experience (which I've ran one for probably 4 years or something like that), people that say they break easy are the guys that mistreat them.

As for maintenance, the maintenance is fairly straight forward and only has to be done MAYBE once a month if you ride a lot. Some people may disagree with that but that's just my opinion.

I would only recommend a freecoaster to people who have their fakies dialed in and enjoy doing lots of fakie tricks.
I would never recommend a freecoaster to someone who is in the process of learning how to fakie or just learned how, but again that's just my opinion.

I've ran a KHE for nearly the whole time that I have had a freecoaster. I also experimented with another kind for a few months or so but in all honesty I hated it so I put my KHE back on.

|

2/10/2014 12:46 PM

I would go chainless as tim said. I think that the cult freecoaster fixed some of the general coaster problems.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/10/2014 1:08 PM

I've been on a coaster for nearly 8 years now and I'll never go back... Yes, older freecoaster used to require more maintenance, but things have definitely been modernized and I really haven't had any problems with my last few coasters. Been on the same one for at least 2-3 years now. as for maintenance there really is none, besides greasing the shit out of the hub every 6 months-year or so (just to avoid an annoying clicking noise that happens when the hub gets dry inside). There are also plenty of coasters out now that can be converted from coaster to cassette, so maybe go for one of those! In my opinion there's really no reason to not try out / run a coaster, unless you rely on pedal pressure a lot to do tricks like brakeless tire-taps, then you might have a problem.

|

2/10/2014 1:22 PM

Most are KHE clones, so you don't really lose or gain with many of them. Look for a solid axle. External slack adjust is nice, but can be problematic from what I have heard.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/10/2014 2:56 PM

Yes, i basically started on one. I loved riding a coaster, i really hope to get another when i get money for it. They are so much fun. At first you will hate it. Once you lose your virginity to it, you will be hooked. It is so much fun to go fast backwards!! I think manuals and hops feel 100 times better

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

2/10/2014 3:03 PM

I would miss back pedaling as weird as that sounds.

Free coasters just feel weird to me, def try one out before buying.

|

2/10/2014 3:26 PM

buy my coaster, number in sig

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

2/10/2014 3:37 PM

I have one . Besides the non drive side cone nut being tighten to c*nt , it was pretty easy to maintain. Just hammer it out and grease it and you should be good. I had a guy who rides a coaster from 4-5 years and he tought me alot , I'd ask around here or find someone local to give you tips.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/25/2014 10:06 PM

T-rider wrote:

I would go chainless as tim said. I think that the cult freecoaster fixed some of the general coaster problems.

I would not recommend the cult I rode it for a season it had some strange issues

|

12/25/2014 10:07 PM

T-rider wrote:

PaulBystrican wrote:

I would not recommend the cult I rode it for a season it had some strange issues

in the future, please dont respond to 10 month old threads

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/26/2014 1:25 AM

T-rider wrote:

PaulBystrican wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

in the future, please dont respond to 10 month old threads

And theres nothing wrong with the cult, been on mine for over a year without a single problem.

But yeah what he said, dont bump old shit

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

12/26/2014 8:36 AM

Bumping old shit is better then making a new thread of you have a good question To ask

|