FSA Headset Help

Related:
Create New Tag

4/2/2018 4:42 PM

So I’m currently building an older S&M and it doesn’t have an integrated headtube of course. I picked up a FSA The Pig Headset and I’m running “new” S&M Widemouth Pitchforks. The headset comes with a “crown race” that slips onto the fork for the bottom bearing to ride on and acts as a dust/dirt shield. My question is... the forks are made with a “crown race” of sorts but do not have the shield so should I run them with or without the crown race that came with the headset? My concerns are that with the “extra” race it sets the forks a little lower (or the headtube is set higher on the forks). I took some pictures for reference. Thanks in advance!

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

^^ without “crown race”

|

4/2/2018 4:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2018 4:53 PM

You don't put that crown race on; the one on the fork will be fine assuming the headset is 45x45 and not 45x30(I think that's the other size, not sure).

I really get what you're saying about the sealing/shielding though; it's my one gripe with integrated crown races and BMX headsets in general. I have to pull off and clean/regrease my lower bearing every 3 weeks or so, because of how wet it is here and all of the crap that gets thrown up into it.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/2/2018 4:53 PM

Almost all new forks have a built in race , you don’t need it on the fork .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/2/2018 6:52 PM

Gonna third that you don’t need it. I can’t remember exactly where (amazing citation powers, I know) that the race is only supplied if you’re using a fork without an integrated race.

Agree with P1P, too. That’s the ONE thing on my bike that seems like an engineering afterthought.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/2/2018 7:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2018 7:10 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

You don't put that crown race on; the one on the fork will be fine assuming the headset is 45x45 and not 45x30(I think that's ...more

You could try an old trick from back in the days before sealed headsets... Cut a small section of Inner tube (about 2") & slide it over the steerer tube. As you slide the fork into the frame, stretch the tube around the head tube and fork, creating a shield.

|

4/2/2018 7:19 PM

As already said, no need for that crown race, because your fork already has an integrated bearing race.

Also, your concerns are correct in that adding that crown race will increase your "axle to crown height" in a way that isn't recommended by S&M.

|

4/2/2018 8:15 PM

Nope you don't need it....

Having that dirt and crap build up on the bottom of the bottom headset bearing pisses me off alot as well, but whateverermm

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/3/2018 4:50 AM

Thank you everyone! I was worried about dirt and crap getting up there but seems to be par for the course. And the extra length will help with getting a spacer or two under the stem. Thanks again!

|