Fat Guy - Seeking Strong Cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

10/19/2020 4:51 PM

So I gained some weight and want to upgrade my cranks. Want some stronger ones. Currently riding some old Primo Hollowbite. These cranks have been noisy for a long time, no matter how much I grease the spindle. Have lost confidence in them. I want some strong cranks without pinch bolts, and don't care about weight. What can you recommend for me?

|

10/19/2020 5:02 PM

Primo POwer-BItes strongest cranks.
Never seen anyone snap one.
The hollow bites can break and they only weigh a couple oz. lighter. Not worth it.
Also get a chain that is strong af. Shadow half-link is legit.

|

10/19/2020 5:45 PM

I'm about 245 right now (it fluctuates). I've only used 3 pairs of cranks over the last decade & some change. Never broke any of them. I always just give them away. Animal Akimbos, Merritt Battle Cranks, & Pr1mo Powerbites.

|

10/19/2020 7:13 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

Primo POwer-BItes strongest cranks.
Never seen anyone snap one.
The hollow bites can break and they only weigh a couple oz. ...more

Yeah I have also been looking at chains and sprocket. My chain is super old and worries me.

I wanted to avoid aluminum pinch bolt style cranks. My HollowBite have always creaked a little, is this normal for that type?

|

10/19/2020 7:15 PM

Can’t ever go wrong with profile cranks. That said odyssey caliber cranks are really great.

|

It’s all bmx

10/19/2020 7:15 PM

elytron wrote:

Yeah I have also been looking at chains and sprocket. My chain is super old and worries me.

I wanted to avoid aluminum pinch ...more

In addition to the spindle, are you also greasing the BB bolts and pinch bolts? If not, that should solve the noise issue.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/19/2020 7:21 PM

WiteMic wrote:

I'm about 245 right now (it fluctuates). I've only used 3 pairs of cranks over the last decade & some change. Never broke ...more

I have heard of those three. Many other's to consider though. Think I want chromoly- 22mm spindle and 175mm length.

|

10/19/2020 7:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2020 7:26 PM

Profile racing column or Odyssey, both lifetime warranty as well.

|

10/19/2020 8:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2020 8:17 PM

readybmxer wrote:

In addition to the spindle, are you also greasing the BB bolts and pinch bolts? If not, that should solve the noise issue.

Maybe I over tightened those areas? I did use grease. Also re-greased a couple times. Even tried different types.

|

10/19/2020 8:20 PM

You positive it’s crank noise and not bb/ chain?


I’d look into odyssey/profile/animal if you’re gonna go for new cranks. Anything 48 spline and brand new from a reputable company should be pretty good

|

10/19/2020 8:22 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Profile racing column or Odyssey, both lifetime warranty as well.

A Warranty would be nice. I will take a look at the Odyssey Calibur V2. As suggested above.

|

10/19/2020 8:26 PM

cky199 wrote:

You positive it’s crank noise and not bb/ chain?


I’d look into odyssey/profile/animal if you’re gonna go for new cranks. ...more

Not sure, could be the chain. Is really old, and so is my sprocket.

|

10/19/2020 8:29 PM

elytron wrote:

A Warranty would be nice. I will take a look at the Odyssey Calibur V2. As suggested above.

The Caliburs are not 41 Thermal and don’t carry the lifetime warranty other 41 Thermal parts do, so if you’re buying for the warranty get the Thunderbolts instead

|

10/20/2020 6:38 AM

Im a Hefty dude... in the same range as you.
I have been using Cult OS Cranks for the last 5 years and they have held up to my abuse very well.
Go with a shadow conspiracy half link chain. Best chain on the market.
That will give you a solid setup.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/20/2020 8:24 AM

Odyssey thunderbolts, profile columns, eclat tibias, all strong af

|

10/20/2020 1:53 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Profile racing column or Odyssey, both lifetime warranty as well.

elytron wrote:

A Warranty would be nice. I will take a look at the Odyssey Calibur V2. As suggested above.

The calibur 2s don’t have warranty but they’re super strong and heavy since they’re thicker/solid metal

|

smile

10/20/2020 2:00 PM

odyssey thunderbolts.

|

10/20/2020 2:24 PM

Thunderbolts or Akimbos

|

11/1/2020 6:56 PM

I'm a pretty hefty dude and have Odyssey Thunderbolts on 2 of my bikes since the spring. No issues so far.

|

11/1/2020 9:51 PM

Thunderbolts are great cranks. I have them on one of my setups...but I don’t like how they are RHD or LHD cranks. I prefer cranks that have a sprocket boss on both arms.

The other crankset I have are the Eclat Spire. I really like them.

|

11/2/2020 3:09 AM

The Odyssey Thunderbolts are popular and look strong. Have an interesting design.

Tempted to go Titanium. Anyone heard of RNC BMX? They also machine sprockets.

|

11/2/2020 4:07 AM

I'm on a used set of Twombolts without much issue-needed to rig up some spacers to make them not wobble.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/2/2020 7:48 AM

these have been recommended to me before. solid info!

|

11/2/2020 9:09 AM

elytron wrote:

The Odyssey Thunderbolts are popular and look strong. Have an interesting design.

Tempted to go Titanium. Anyone heard of RNC ...more

If you don't care about weight (which you said you didn't) I wouldn't pay 250% more for Ti cranks. You aren't gaining strength, just saving weight.

In the design process they decide how much material they can remove to have comparable strength to current market cranks.

The extra price is purely for weight savings, not for added strength.

I'd agree with what has already been stated here...
Eclat Tibia's, Twombolts, Profile.... are all good choices.

|

11/2/2020 9:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/2/2020 9:44 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Can’t ever go wrong with profile cranks. That said odyssey caliber cranks are really great.

I can back this up I’ve been riding calibur 2s since they came out and they’re solid as hell. No creaking, cracking, or other noises and they slide like any other decent crank would

|

smile

11/2/2020 11:18 AM

SoCalShreds wrote:

If you don't care about weight (which you said you didn't) I wouldn't pay 250% more for Ti cranks. You aren't gaining ...more

Thought the Titanium was stronger. Will stick with chromoly then, probably Odyssey. Also an odyssey sprocket, the Fang looks thick.

Now I need to find them in stock some place. Thanks everyone.

|

11/2/2020 12:21 PM

elytron wrote:

Thought the Titanium was stronger. Will stick with chromoly then, probably Odyssey. Also an odyssey sprocket, the Fang looks ...more

The fang isn’t that thick I used to have one. The utility guard has the removable guard and is 8mm thick as opposed to 4 or 5

|

smile

11/2/2020 9:31 PM

i used to have a set of stock DK cranks and bent the spindle and drive side arm so i got a set of colony ventor cranks and they are amazing! they have a 22mm spindle, no pinch bolts and make them in sizes from 160- 175mm so most things you said you would want.

|

11/2/2020 9:34 PM

jesse07bmx wrote:

i used to have a set of stock DK cranks and bent the spindle and drive side arm so i got a set of colony ventor cranks and ...more

oh yeh and as well I've got a colony blaster sprocket which is really good as well plus a heavy duty e bike chain
. and odyssey make good sprockets as well forgot the name but it has a guard for the chain as well

|

11/3/2020 3:40 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

Primo POwer-BItes strongest cranks.
Never seen anyone snap one.
The hollow bites can break and they only weigh a couple oz. ...more

elytron wrote:

Yeah I have also been looking at chains and sprocket. My chain is super old and worries me.

I wanted to avoid aluminum pinch ...more

Ya know mine used to make a creaking sound, but since I just built new bike it hasn't been an issue for some reason. My gripe with tubular chromoly cranks is the flexing factor. I had profiles, and they flexed like a taiwanese hooker.

|