Fear

Related:
Create New Tag

1/26/2018 4:26 AM

So, in terms of trying stuff I'm a huge puss. I've had my bike for a year and haven't learned much at all. Im just now getting close to 180ing consistently. But I wanna learn how to barspin (pull up bar) and drop in... And every time, I'm like "I'm gonna do it this time" and chicken out... I have a helmet and shin pads but it doesn't hell me at all... But I guess I have to swear on doing something before I'll do it.. Thats how it worked on a stair set. I did like 10 bitch runs and my friend said he was gonna leave and I swore I'd do it, did it and perfectly fine... Any got other methods of getting over fear or just doing a trick?

|

1/26/2018 4:41 AM

Just tell yourself that your feet are glued to your pedals. You just have to do it. Even better if you're brakeless. Like there is no other option than doing it. Don't think about it, act like it's your 100th run.

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

1/26/2018 4:55 AM

My #1 bit of advice is to just send it.

You are going to eat shit, that is a given & a part of learning. & I'll be the first to tell you that 9 times out of 10, it's not even going to be while trying new or cool stuff. It's always the small stuff.

I used to be very cautious about riding like you are, always thinking about "what if.." & then one day I fell 12ft flat to my face when I blacked-out while dropping in to a quarter (imagine Brandon Begin vs. El Toro but in a skatepark.)

For whatever reason, in the seconds after the impact, I couldn't feel my face. I had a gut instinct that I had snapped my jaw or ruined my face permanently.

Snap back to reality, I was up and walking within the minute with nothing more than a minor concussion and some face bruises.

It ended my session, but it taught me the most valuable thing I've ever learned as far as BMX riding goes.. The worst that could happen really isn't that bad, & all the scary images in my head of "what could be" are really nothing more than scary images in my head.

That fall made an incredibly positive impact on my confidence and ability on my bike. Despite it hurting like hell, it set the bar for me for what I know I can handle. It's hard to explain, but it truly made me a better bike rider.

Just focus on learning tricks at a rate that only you are comfortable with, & learn how to fall.
Once you are comfortable bailing and falling off the bike, tricks stop seeming so scary.

Hope that all makes sense, I've just woke up & am a bit out of it lol

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/26/2018 5:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2018 5:26 AM

Flatwoodzmafia wrote:

So, in terms of trying stuff I'm a huge puss. I've had my bike for a year and haven't learned much at all. Im just now getting ...more

That's natural, man. I mean, think about it.... you weren't born (unfortunately) with a bike underneath you. I'm sure you don't remember but I'm sure you were afraid when you were learning how to ride a bike! As for barspins, etc... that's REALLY unnatural. It goes against everything that you learned WAS safe when you learned to ride. You are relinquishing control.... to some extent. You'll probably hear quite a bit of "you have to nut up". etc... & that is true. If you want the glory, you have to take the chance. However, you don't have to Evel Kneivel it. You can try stuff in increments to make it easier to swallow. Like you said, doing a pull up barspin, is a whole lot less risky than a hop spin. Likewise, jumping out of a small bowl & doing a bar spin is easier than a hop spin. However, both have the same "fear factor". So try to ease into it. a pull up barspin is less scary. To make it even safer, you could build yourself a "manual machine" like this one here. Not only can it help you learn manuals, you can also practice pull up bar spins without an real danger of crashing. Lastly, you are going to crash. Not necessarily on the "manual machine" but out & about, it will happen. There isn't a pro out there who hasn't bitten it. When you are at your level, the crash is probably a lot bigger in your head than it will actually be. I'm sure you've sorta bit it while learning 180's. You are still here to tell the story. Take your time & do things at your own pace. THEN, when needed, just make yourself try stuff that is just outside of your comfort zone. Take precautions but test yourself.

|

1/26/2018 5:23 AM

I relate to this so much, every session I plan on learning new, bigger things (barspin, 180 spine etc.) and then every single time I tell myself "next time" and end up learning something easier instead. It's super frustrating but I think it's just building yourself up more. I wish I could turn off the fear in my head and send it but I just don't seem to be able to haha

|

1/26/2018 5:31 AM

RumHam wrote:

I relate to this so much, every session I plan on learning new, bigger things (barspin, 180 spine etc.) and then every single ...more

That ability is earned wink

Every rider has their fall that changes it all. Just keep having fun and enjoying the ride. If you stick around and decide to take riding really seriously, it'll catch up to ya.

I hate to put it that way, but there's a lot of truth in it. It's all about learning & trial and error in a sense.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/26/2018 6:10 AM

I am not the best to comment on this because I broke my arm last year and since then my riding has been pretty restrained as I have that fear.

But what I would say, is that the worst thing you can do is go half assed into a trick, that is always when you hurt yourself, if you are gonna go for trick then make sure you 100% commit.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

1/26/2018 6:46 AM

I relate as well. Fear is pretty much your only obstacle in BMX. I'm pretty much almost consistently 180'ing as well, and it's a great feeling.

I dropped in on a quarter for the first time in 15 years a couple months ago. It was such an insanely satisfying feeling getting over that fear.

I hate Nike, but...JUST DO IT!

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/26/2018 8:19 AM

I was the same way for a very long time, what helped me was music to get my adrenaline up to push past that fear
Now in my head I have learned to push back that fear factor by thinking "If I don't commit, I'm going to get hurt worse" and I use music to focus, since I've learned how to do that I learned how to hit park handrails and get extremely casual and confident with the tricks I know because I try it finally and realize it isn't so bad
Takes trial and error, everyone is different just listen to your gut, there's a difference between fear and knowing you shouldn't be doing something. If that makes sense lol

|

1/26/2018 8:44 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

That ability is earned wink

Every rider has their fall that changes it all. Just keep having fun and enjoying the ride. If you ...more

Rolled out on landing a Flat 360 after I Just learned how to 360 higher; straight to my tailbone, my back was messed up for days. All my 360s end in pivots now. . .

|

1/26/2018 8:47 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

Rolled out on landing a Flat 360 after I Just learned how to 360 higher; straight to my tailbone, my back was messed up for ...more

Not quite the change I was referring to haha.

|

1/26/2018 9:57 AM

funny thing for me...I will "send it" on my MTB 9 times out of 10 with no fear...but not on BMX. I don't know if it is b/c my brain feels that falling on cement is worse than falling in the woods?

Like with dropping in...at the skate park, I always hesitate to do a straight drop in into any bowl...i usually come in at an angle and ride the bowl down along the curve, like on the sides of my tires....but on the trail, I will bomb a 30 foot drop no problem nose first...even into trees and with the ground being covered in roots and rocks/boulders

on the other hand, I try to manual all the time on my BMX, usually with no fear of looping out, but won't try it on my MTB unless it is in mid line to get over a trail feature...I think then, it is more "instinct", and on my BMX I am actually focusing on executing it...

so weird how the mind perceives fear

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/26/2018 10:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2018 10:26 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

You're talking like injuring ankles or something and all of a sudden you go from being Right foot forward to Left Foot Forward? Or guys that can no longer extend there feet because of scar tissue? That's Probably too far on the other end of the spectrum.

|

1/26/2018 10:30 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

Rolled out on landing a Flat 360 after I Just learned how to 360 higher; straight to my tailbone, my back was messed up for ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Phunny93 wrote:

You're talking like injuring ankles or something and all of a sudden you go from being Right foot forward to Left Foot ...more

I think he means that one day you have a crash and realise that you can't get as hurt doing these things as you have been building up in your head

|

1/26/2018 10:34 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Phunny93 wrote:

You're talking like injuring ankles or something and all of a sudden you go from being Right foot forward to Left Foot ...more

Nope, read my first comment.

I'm talking along the lines of crashing so hard that you feel lucky to be alive, and walking away with only minor injuries, if any.

Once you've had a crash like that, it will teach you a whole lot about how the worst that could happen isn't all that bad (obviously not applicable to everything, there are certainly some do-or-die set ups and tricks.)

It also boosts your confidence a whole lot knowing first-hand that your body can handle a crash like that.

& I can sit here and blab about it all day, but you'll never truly understand the difference it makes until you've had "your crash."

I will never forget my crash that I referred to in my first comment. It completely changed my life and riding career for the better. I am honestly grateful that I had that crash that day.

|

1/26/2018 10:38 AM

RumHam wrote:

I think he means that one day you have a crash and realise that you can't get as hurt doing these things as you have been ...more

Oh I get it. I say just pay attention to Sean Burns, "it's okay the worst thing that can happen is my penis gets pulled in-between my tire and my frame and I break my dick muscle", that's like worst case scenario, Right? But yeah, Learn early that pain fades I guess

|

1/26/2018 10:48 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

Oh I get it. I say just pay attention to Sean Burns, "it's okay the worst thing that can happen is my penis gets pulled ...more

Sounds about right haha.

Also I'll add a piece of advice;
If you are doing something big, whether it be riding off of a roof or soaring over a giant dirt jump, stay on your bike even if your instincts tell you that you're not going to land the trick/gap.

Often times, at least with big set ups/tricks, injuries are caused from your body smacking the ground really hard.

Your bike absorbs a whole lot more impact than you probably realize, and can certainly make the difference between breaking an ankle and getting up to give it another go.

And of course, if you do decide to or have to bail the bike, throw it as far as possible! The only thing worse than smacking the ground is smacking your bike on the ground.

Think smart, your general instincts don't mean shit on a BMX.

|

1/26/2018 10:49 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Nope, read my first comment.

I'm talking along the lines of crashing so hard that you feel lucky to be alive, and walking ...more

I hear that. I actually sometimes like bailing because most of the time its not that bad. I get up, I get a rush of adrenaline and think about what I did or didn't do.

For instance I'm trying to learn wall rides on a 60º at the skatepark. The bank is like 25 feet long and I think it'd look badass to really pedal fast up to it, hop, and ride the top bit for as long as I can.

Sometimes I won't commit 100% and I'll end up riding without leaning the bike or myself. Inevitably I end up sliding off, and tumbling. I get back up, dust myself off and try to remember what I did wrong.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/26/2018 11:00 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I hear that. I actually sometimes like bailing because most of the time its not that bad. I get up, I get a rush of adrenaline ...more

Word to that!

Since I'm pretty experienced with bailing out of most tricks I do, often times I'll bail out of a trick simply because I know it's not going to be as clean or stylish as I want it to be, and I don't want to be stuck using a clip of a trick that I didn't put my all in to.

At the same time, I hate myself for that haha. It's always a split second decision that I make mid-trick, because I'm stubborn and would rather try the trick another thousand times than do it wrong that one time.blush

|

1/26/2018 11:43 AM

Wait till your first knock out or hospital visit , fun stuff

|

1/26/2018 11:48 AM

RumHam wrote:

I relate to this so much, every session I plan on learning new, bigger things (barspin, 180 spine etc.) and then every single ...more

Honestly learning all the little stuff first helps a lot it gives you time to learn control and feel more comfortable on your bike like learning wall rides and setting a board up against a wall and making it steeper every time you feel like it feels comfortable next thing you know your doing it. Dropping in and airs are scary at first but just start on the smallest ramps possible and work your way up. The little things always lead to more control and less fear going bigger . I still get scared doing a 180 over big gaps or down drops but I always tell myself what's the worst that could happen. I know how to bail on 180s from tons of experience doing so on smaller things. Nose manuals are scary but learning to bail is the biggest trick to be honest and that goes for almost every trick. Getting to the point were you are uncomfortable but not getting hurt. Eventually you just learn to follow through and then your landing tricks you thought were hard. I had a hard time with barspins used to smack my knee with the bars all the time but the more I pushed through and dealt with the pain and bruises the more I got the motions down.

|

1/26/2018 11:49 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Wait till your first knock out or hospital visit , fun stuff

Yeah or busting your teeth out haha. If you love it enough nothing will stop you except maybe a spinal injury like Scotty or Brett

|

1/26/2018 12:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2018 12:32 PM

I always just pull a Paul attredis and go with this:Photo

|

1/26/2018 12:37 PM

Thank you guys for commenting and not just saying grow some balls or man up, I also thank you all for the stories and the advice! I will heed all advice and just learn tricks at my own pace.

|

1/26/2018 12:39 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

You are going to eat shit, that is a given & a part of learning. & I'll be ...more

Brandon begin at el toro but a skate park

|

1/26/2018 1:01 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

You are going to eat shit, that is a given & a part of learning. & I'll be ...more

Flatwoodzmafia wrote:

Brandon begin at el toro but a skate park

Yup. Dove straight off the quarter of a deck, all the way past transition, and straight to the concrete with the whole side of my face and my bike on top of me.

Long story short, I hadn't eaten all day and was really worked up trying 540s (when I told you guys I have really bad luck with 540s, I meant it.. lol), dropping into the quarter for speed. I guess I hadn't thought anything of it, and sure enough i blacked out while cranking into the quarter on that attempt.

The worst part was that I wasn't all the way out, so I was kind of aware of what was going down but physically couldn't do anything to stop it. Ironically enough, the impact brought me back to & then fear & shock took over.

I remember holding my jaw, assuming it was broke (couldn't feel anything yet) & an older local rider came flying down the ramp. He asked me, "are you alright?"
Out of shock i replied with "how do I look?"
He told me that I looked ugly haha. I had never been so glad in my life to be called ugly.

We ended up chatting for a bit while I was a bit out of it and waiting for my ride to the hospital. He basically congratulated me on earning my man card & told me that it will either make me or break me. Little did I know how right he was.

I literally felt indestructible on my bike after that. The time between that crash and my 2nd wrist injury were the most fearless years of my riding career. Unfortunately I've had a bum wrist for quite some time now from crashing into my friend while fakie'ing(its always the simple stuff, man,) which has effected how big I'd wish to go.

|

1/26/2018 1:24 PM

I broke my jaw. Twice. And it wasn't even on anything ballsy the first time and the second time was a pure accident. So IMO, it doesnt matter what the fuck you do because even the smallest shit can cripple you. So go big

|

1/26/2018 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2018 1:55 PM

My advice is to do things when you are ready. Dont force it. The more you ride the more natural it becomes and the more you will try things a bit out of your comfort zones. Dont be your own worst enemy and force yourself to do something because you think you are wimping out. There is no such thing. That is peer pressure stuff.

Injury will come when you least expect it but you can bet it will come even sooner if you are doing things your mind and body are not quite ready for. Everyone has their own pace.

I usually work on small things that relate.

For instance, before I started grinding i did a bunch of ghost feebles to prepare my mind for the motion and body positioning.

If im working on hopping up a 2ft ledge, i will hop up a 1ft ledge until im comfortable then find a slightly larger one till i gradually am ready for a 2ft and beyond.

Take your time, there is no hurry. smile

Its not about commitment or confidence either.

Those are things that come after ability.

You cant be a brand new rider and commit to double pegging a 20 stair and expect it to work out.

Convincing yourself to do something can be dangerous. Youll know when you have the ability to do something. Thats the point where commitment can be a make or break situation.

|

1/26/2018 1:54 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I broke my jaw. Twice. And it wasn't even on anything ballsy the first time and the second time was a pure accident. So IMO, ...more

That's soo true. Seems like the small shit you don't think about being risky after a while becomes risky. I broke 3 teeth just on an up slant over a ledge. My shoes were wet and didn't even think about it then my back wheel hit the ledge and my feet didn't stay on so otb I went haha I just got up and rode home to asses the damage ..tore a muscle in my shoulder doing a manual on a 4ft long ledge when I hoped out I went nose heavy and went otb straight to the shoulder. Long story short learn to not go otb and your fine haha or learn how to do it gracefully

|

1/26/2018 2:11 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

My advice is to do things when you are ready. Dont force it. The more you ride the more natural it becomes and the more you ...more

I still feel weird grinding anything. I know I can but I feel like I have to hop into a few before I hop into any going down anything haha

|