Feels like grinding in my bottom bracket?!

Related:
Create New Tag

8/17/2017 12:56 PM

It only does it sometimes, it feels like my cranks get a little tighter and grinding is the only way I can describe but its not like severe. Time for a new bottom bracket? It's nearly brand new maybe only 6 months. Any feed back guys?

|

8/17/2017 1:03 PM

Does it sound like marbles in a glass jar? are you sure your chain line is straight and your wheel didn't slip a bit or something ? but it could be bearings if grinding... could also be something in there like sand or dirt or something, could need to re seat something. I would take her apart and have a look before continuing to ride, if something jams up while your riding , you could eat shit bad. Open it up and check man. keep us posted.

|

8/17/2017 1:48 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Does it sound like marbles in a glass jar? are you sure your chain line is straight and your wheel didn't slip a bit or something ? but it could be bearings if grinding... could also be something in there like sand or dirt or something, could need to re seat something. I would take her apart and have a look before continuing to ride, if something jams up while your riding , you could eat shit bad. Open it up and check man. keep us posted.

That's a good way to describe what my bb sounds like right now. Marbles in a glass jar lol. It's so annoying, but it still spins fine, so I've kind of been putting off getting a new one.

|

8/17/2017 1:51 PM

CamStaySteezin wrote:

It only does it sometimes, it feels like my cranks get a little tighter and grinding is the only way I can describe but its not like severe. Time for a new bottom bracket? It's nearly brand new maybe only 6 months. Any feed back guys?

Take the chain off and spin it to see if it's the same

|

8/17/2017 1:52 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Dude you might be spot on! I was riding the boardwalk in San Diego a few weeks ago and that around when it started! What do you think, pull it out clean and re grease? I've never taken a bottom bracket out

|

8/17/2017 1:52 PM

CamStaySteezin wrote:

am-shaegar wrote:

This. It could be a lot of different thingd

|

8/17/2017 1:53 PM

CamStaySteezin wrote:

am-shaegar wrote:

Will do but what does it mean if it doesn't do it with the chain off?

|

8/17/2017 1:53 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

That's a good way to describe what my bb sounds like right now. Marbles in a glass jar lol. It's so annoying, but it still spins fine, so I've kind of been putting off getting a new one.

I have the exact opposite situation!
I got a new frame with the BB already installed, from KHE
The thing is that even though the bearings are new ... they spin like shit, even though there is no weird sound or feel
And they are not over-tightened

|

8/17/2017 2:32 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

am-shaegar wrote:

I have the exact opposite situation!
I got a new frame with the BB already installed, from KHE
The thing is that even though the bearings are new ... they spin like shit, even though there is no weird sound or feel
And they are not over-tightened

Could be they didn't install the spacer that goes in the middle of the bearings, or it could be that they just need to be broken in.

|

8/17/2017 2:54 PM

CamStaySteezin wrote:

Will do but what does it mean if it doesn't do it with the chain off?

Then the chain is the issue.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/18/2017 1:12 AM

I had a grinding going on that I thought was coming from my bottom bracket but ended up being in my back wheel, the driver was all crunchy because i was running a too tight chain for a week or so (beginner and had read that it was ok to install a chain super tight as they will stretch out and be fine, that is not true do not run a tight chain) and it put all kinds of pressure on I guess the bearings. I ended up sorting it out by running a different back wheel set up with appropriate chain slack so I'm not sure if that wheel I messed up with a tight chain (very tight) is actually busted or not. Point is I was sure it was the bottom bracket but it wasn't at all. Drive train issues suck hope you get it worked out without too much nausea.

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

8/18/2017 6:09 AM

It could be the bb, chain, driver, or hub bearings, could even be a warped or worn sprocket, or pedal bearings.
I've even had bikes booked in for a bb replacement because it creaks only to find out it was the bars/stem/hesdset

|

8/18/2017 2:05 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

It could be the bb, chain, driver, or hub bearings, could even be a warped or worn sprocket, or pedal bearings.
I've even had bikes booked in for a bb replacement because it creaks only to find out it was the bars/stem/hesdset

Nuts! Looks like I'm gonna have to put some work in this weekend to get this stuff figured out

|

8/18/2017 2:06 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I got a long road ahead of me sounds like! I'll keep you guys posted thanks for the info

|

8/22/2017 2:43 PM

Okay guys we are all clear! It was dirt and sand inside the bottom bracket. Thanks for all the help dudes!

|

8/24/2017 2:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/24/2017 2:19 PM

CamStaySteezin wrote:

Okay guys we are all clear! It was dirt and sand inside the bottom bracket. Thanks for all the help dudes!

Glad you cleared it up bud. Thought I'd add my .02 to help anyone in a similar spot.

My mid Stolen bottom bracket bearings went from new to shredded in about a year and a half. They may have gone before I figured out they were bad. I took my drivetrain apart for cleaning and inspection the other day, and I could feel the flatspots on the bearings and races. Felt like they were full of sand. They were still crankflipping like butter though, and made no noise. I also did not choose to run the little tube spacer between the bearings, which definitely shortened their life. It's almost exactly like wearing that thick leather belt when lifting heavy weight. The belt gives your muscles and intestines something to push against when under pressure so you don't pop a hernia. Same for the bike. When you tighten your cranks down, you'll preload the shit out of the bearings and they will wear out much faster than they should if you skip the spacer. It braces the inner bearing races.

I put in new bearings and a new chain, and now I have noise because the teeth on my driver are starting to deform and look wavy. A new Cro-Mo one is 65 %$^&@# dollars. What the hell, it's one part and half the cost of a new complete hub.

|