Feels like my cranks give in at top of pedal rotation

Related:
Create New Tag

1/30/2017 12:05 PM

I had this problem since I put new sprocket on, I tried to remove a chain link but link was too tight and one of the pins is pushing out ever so slightly, could this be the reason why?(keep in mind it is a very small amount of pin pushed out)

|

1/30/2017 12:20 PM

Sounds like the chain link is out of alignment where that pin is slightly out

|

1/30/2017 1:56 PM

I bet the chain is completely stiff in that spot causing it to skip teeth. You kind of answered your own question. Why don't you try fixing that problem and see what happens.

|

1/30/2017 3:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/30/2017 3:40 PM

Its not your chain, but I would check it anyway. Having a link explode does not seem fun at all. Your crank bolts might be loose, check those.

|

1/31/2017 12:59 AM

^
That, or you're missing the tophat washer from your sprocket, so your sprocket is moving as you pedal

|

1/31/2017 2:21 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Its not your chain, but I would check it anyway. Having a link explode does not seem fun at all. Your crank bolts might be ...more

What is it?

|

1/31/2017 4:10 AM

If it was the chain, it wouldn't happen at the same point with each rotation, unless by coincidence the chain was the perfect length that it would. If it happens at the same spot on each rotation, it suggests it's either the crank arm, or sprocket

|

1/31/2017 7:13 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

If it was the chain, it wouldn't happen at the same point with each rotation, unless by coincidence the chain was the perfect ...more

That's very true! I didn't think about that

|

1/31/2017 7:42 AM

Either way if I just leave it and get on with it will any of the possibilities end up ruining my bike, because to be honest I don't really care unless in the long run my bike will get ruined

|

1/31/2017 7:42 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

^
That, or you're missing the tophat washer from your sprocket, so your sprocket is moving as you pedal

I have a washer over my sprocket so that should be fine

|

1/31/2017 10:25 AM

Why don't you fix it? That is a major weak spot in your chain. that will break eventually. Broken chains can hurt you pretty bad. I guess we all need to learn things the hard way sometimes. Are you really saying your too lazy to put a washer on your cranks? Don't come here asking questions if your not going to do anything. Stop wasting our time!

|

1/31/2017 10:43 AM

ryan&lloydy wrote:

What does "over my sprocket" mean? I'm not sure what you mean there, so I'll just clarify, out loud, in no one's particular direction, that the tophat will actually sit in the sprocket's center hole. Tophat washers and spacers are not the same thing.

|

1/31/2017 12:14 PM

Yeah check ur pinch bolts. Mine come loose every so often and it feels similar to what you're describing.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

1/31/2017 1:03 PM

If you don't fix it, something will break. If it's your chain, you'll wear everything quicker and your chain will snap. If it's your tophat washer you'll ruin your sprocket. If it's the crank arm itself everything will start to wear down (splines etc) meaning it won't be fixable and you'll have to replace them. Either way, everything will work itself loose until it either breaks or falls apart

|

2/1/2017 12:07 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Why don't you fix it? That is a major weak spot in your chain. that will break eventually. Broken chains can hurt you pretty ...more

I already said the washer is on my cranks

|

2/1/2017 12:40 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

^

ryan&lloydy wrote:

GMGuinn wrote:

What does "over my sprocket" mean? I'm not sure what you mean there, so I'll just clarify, out loud, in no one's particular ...more

Yh I understand your confusion and I did the mean the one that fits in the centre hole

|

2/1/2017 12:41 PM

But is it the correct one? The correct way round? We don't even know what cranks you've got. We're trying to help

|