Female Coasters

Related:
Create New Tag

4/28/2016 12:14 AM

With the addition of a spare bike with a cassette , and my dumbass blowing bearings left and right ( my hub moves maybe for 3 seconds then stops at the moment lol ) I might get a coaster again , not necessarily my favourite but for fun . My friend just got one , it would be cool learning shit with him .

I was looking at the BSD combo with guards and an Eclat Cortex , but I realized both are male . I'm not super into those type of hubs , multiple reasons but because my Demolition V1 Rotator was a pain in the ass , and came factory seized plus the thread on guard was a joke ( fuck you Steve , I told you what happened , fuck yourself saying I did it ) so that kinda stirred me away from that .

I run both female hubs now and they never give me problems , my friend says male are stronger but he's still pretty fresh into the scene again and honestly I could give a fuck less , I don't have any issues with any female hubs so far.

I was thinking about the Cult Coaster from Transition , the purple one I wanted is only available in Male I believe from the distribution site unless I missed it , so I'd end up getting a V2 female in black . Any ups and downs to female coasters ? Why isn't there that much. I know the V1 had issues but maybe they sorted it out ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/28/2016 2:59 AM

I thought a coaster was something you put your beer glass on...

|

4/28/2016 3:22 AM

Odyssey Clutch?

|

4/28/2016 3:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/28/2016 3:22 AM

If you really want a female coaster go for an odyssey clutch (press fit)
But other than this one a female coaster with KHE style internals seems dumb, first to work on it because 10mm female bolts means no allen hole at the end of the axle (maybe one hidden in the middle) and second, because it's just weaker than a regular 14mm male !

|

4/28/2016 6:33 AM

There's not much of a difference between male and shemale. The shemale still uses the same threaded hardware and axle as the male (which was what you don't want, correct?) Just uses a weaker bolt and a shorter axle. Only nice thing about it is that it looks clean without pegs, while offering the same strength (without pegs, again.)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/28/2016 7:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/28/2016 7:52 AM

Odyssey Clutch is the best imo. Feels better than my cult and eclat blind coaster hubs did, not to mention stronger. So if you want a female coaster get a Clutch. Te only bad thing I have to say about it is that it doesnt come in polished so I had to do that myself haha

Photo

|

4/28/2016 8:29 AM

Merritt coaster looks good lifetime warranty on the driver , or the clutch , those would be the 2 I'd go with if I wasn't going to go to a z coaster after my demolition shits the bed

|

4/28/2016 12:01 PM

The Clutch is almost 300$ a pop but for an extra 20$ I can get a whole BSD Coaster wheel with both side guards . Its still an option but not really feeling the price tag . And the Merritt coaster needs a fuckin torque wrench to open up and maintain so fuck that haha .

I run female now in the back , I'm sure I'll be fine with a female coaster too ... not sure yet about what to buy if I end up doing so .

|

My Cult 2 Short

4/28/2016 3:56 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

The Clutch is almost 300$ a pop but for an extra 20$ I can get a whole BSD Coaster wheel with both side guards . Its still an option but not really feeling the price tag . And the Merritt coaster needs a fuckin torque wrench to open up and maintain so fuck that haha .

I run female now in the back , I'm sure I'll be fine with a female coaster too ... not sure yet about what to buy if I end up doing so .

Torque wrenches are for tightening to certain specs...not for loosening.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/28/2016 4:36 PM

Mis-read and thought "torque wrench" for "cone wrench" but ya . Idk .

|

My Cult 2 Short

4/28/2016 6:25 PM

Female coasters only come in 3/8" female/shemale with the exception of the Clutch which uses 14mm female on the non-drive side, 3/8" on the drive side. That would be my pick especially if you're grinding. If no grinding or light grinding only, then the 3/8" versions would be fine, but I wouldn't trust them for heavy grinding.

I would say just get a 14mm male axle one since you don't want to spend the money for the Odyssey one.

|

4/28/2016 11:26 PM

I'm not a hub expert , not gonna lie . 14 and 3/8th confuse me at times ... like now .

I realized the Clutch has the bolt design that I want , what is it called ? I thought they were 3/8th bolts into a female axle and the male is a 14mm thread on axle ? Eitherway maybe I'll buy one for that reason , I guess it's pretty good too. My buddy has one and he wanted to try and fuck it and it's still holding up for him .

|

My Cult 2 Short

4/29/2016 12:06 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'm not a hub expert , not gonna lie . 14 and 3/8th confuse me at times ... like now .

I realized the Clutch has the bolt design that I want , what is it called ? I thought they were 3/8th bolts into a female axle and the male is a 14mm thread on axle ? Eitherway maybe I'll buy one for that reason , I guess it's pretty good too. My buddy has one and he wanted to try and fuck it and it's still holding up for him .

The Clutch only comes in female, with a 14mm bolt on the non-drive side and 3/8" bolt on the drive side(With a 14mm shoulder on what appears to be the drive side cone nut/spacer)

Photo

you can see it here, I couldn't find a good enough pic of just the axle setup. the reason they did that is because they weren't able to make the center axle large enough to accommodate a 14mm bolt on the drive side as well, so they compromised and just made it 3/8" while using 14mm on the non-drive side (The side you'd normally be abusing with pegs) for strength.

|