Female-V.S-Male

Related:
Create New Tag

10/21/2013 9:57 AM

Someone hit me with a link or explain the strength differences in them.
Ik 3/8 female is stronger than male 3/8 and almost the same as a male 14mm.
And female 14mm is way stronger than male 14's.
But WHY? It makes no fucking sense too me!!??

|

10/21/2013 10:53 AM

Shorter axle inside the hub, less sticking out of the hub = less leverage to bend/break.

Basically, take a pencil, break it in half. Pretty easy, right? Now take one of those half pieces and break it. Takes a bit more effort doesn't it? Same goes for axles. The more distance you get away from supported areas or the middle, the less force it takes to bend or break. The closer you are, the harder it is to bend or break it.

Plus internal axles are typically a lot larger (a 3/8ths female axle is actually close to 14mm outer diameter) which is why they are so durable. A 14mm female is quite a bit bigger outer diameter as well.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/21/2013 12:06 PM

I Know what your sayin. Exactly how i figured it. But which would you say is more hassle free?

|

10/21/2013 12:15 PM

Honestly it depends on the hub, a some "female" axles actually extend into the dropouts slightly making the bolts just fasteners, yet still an advantage over traditional male axles as the bolts will bend rather than having to replace an entire axle.

A true female axle is stronger than a male simply by having less leverage against it with peg use, not to mention if we look at G-Sport products, the axle used in all of the hubs used a 20mm OD axle (except the marmose which uses a 17mm OD) yet when comparing the weights, the 20mm axle weighs the same as a profile 14mm so the advantages are very apparent.

|

10/21/2013 12:46 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Honestly it depends on the hub, a some "female" axles actually extend into the dropouts slightly making the bolts just fasteners, yet still an advantage over traditional male axles as the bolts will bend rather than having to replace an entire axle.

A true female axle is stronger than a male simply by having less leverage against it with peg use, not to mention if we look at G-Sport products, the axle used in all of the hubs used a 20mm OD axle (except the marmose which uses a 17mm OD) yet when comparing the weights, the 20mm axle weighs the same as a profile 14mm so the advantages are very apparent.

Makes sense. Thanks for the input! :D

|

10/21/2013 4:32 PM

Basically a hollow male 14mm will be stronger than a solid 14mm because it has more than one axis to bend on. A female will be stronger than any 14mm male axle because the inner axle is shorter, has a larger OD and still has the two axis's to bend on but very rarely will it bend. Usually it is the bolt that will bend but still that is unlikely because of the shorter length. Take G-SPORT hubs for instant. They use a 20mm inner axle with either 14mm or 10mm bolts which make it strong as hell.

Another plus with female is that the threads wont get damaged from landing on them and if your bolt does get overly damaged you can just go down to your local bearing services and pick up a new one because they usually stock anything. Also is a cleaner look and allows you to apply more torque on the bolts before they strip.

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

10/21/2013 4:57 PM

Noob question, but can you run pegs on a female hub?

|

10/21/2013 5:07 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Noob question, but can you run pegs on a female hub?

Yes

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

10/21/2013 5:12 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Noob question, but can you run pegs on a female hub?

Hell yeah mate. I'd prefure to ride pegs on a female any day. harder to strip and you can tighten the fuck out of them so you wont be slipping if you land hard

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

10/21/2013 5:21 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

Basically a hollow male 14mm will be stronger than a solid 14mm because it has more than one axis to bend on. A female will be stronger than any 14mm male axle because the inner axle is shorter, has a larger OD and still has the two axis's to bend on but very rarely will it bend. Usually it is the bolt that will bend but still that is unlikely because of the shorter length. Take G-SPORT hubs for instant. They use a 20mm inner axle with either 14mm or 10mm bolts which make it strong as hell.

Another plus with female is that the threads wont get damaged from landing on them and if your bolt does get overly damaged you can just go down to your local bearing services and pick up a new one because they usually stock anything. Also is a cleaner look and allows you to apply more torque on the bolts before they strip.

Ok. So would you say a 3/8 female is just good. You don't really need a 14mm fmale.

|

10/21/2013 5:26 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Noob question, but can you run pegs on a female hub?

jamiespadina wrote:

Hell yeah mate. I'd prefure to ride pegs on a female any day. harder to strip and you can tighten the fuck out of them so you wont be slipping if you land hard

Im buying a mongoose, getting quartet hubs, and primo pegs. Oh, amd.a bandit sprocket with a kmc kool chain.

|

10/21/2013 5:43 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

Basically a hollow male 14mm will be stronger than a solid 14mm because it has more than one axis to bend on. A female will be stronger than any 14mm male axle because the inner axle is shorter, has a larger OD and still has the two axis's to bend on but very rarely will it bend. Usually it is the bolt that will bend but still that is unlikely because of the shorter length. Take G-SPORT hubs for instant. They use a 20mm inner axle with either 14mm or 10mm bolts which make it strong as hell.

Another plus with female is that the threads wont get damaged from landing on them and if your bolt does get overly damaged you can just go down to your local bearing services and pick up a new one because they usually stock anything. Also is a cleaner look and allows you to apply more torque on the bolts before they strip.

BRANDON_90 wrote:

Ok. So would you say a 3/8 female is just good. You don't really need a 14mm fmale.

If you are running it on the front or if you don't use pegs a 3/8th female is still good. If i could i would run 14mm any day.
If you can always run 14mm in the back for the extra strength for grinds and hard drops and the inner axle wont bend but the 3/8th bolt might if you run pegs. Get what i'm saying?

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

10/21/2013 5:46 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

Basically a hollow male 14mm will be stronger than a solid 14mm because it has more than one axis to bend on. A female will be stronger than any 14mm male axle because the inner axle is shorter, has a larger OD and still has the two axis's to bend on but very rarely will it bend. Usually it is the bolt that will bend but still that is unlikely because of the shorter length. Take G-SPORT hubs for instant. They use a 20mm inner axle with either 14mm or 10mm bolts which make it strong as hell.

Another plus with female is that the threads wont get damaged from landing on them and if your bolt does get overly damaged you can just go down to your local bearing services and pick up a new one because they usually stock anything. Also is a cleaner look and allows you to apply more torque on the bolts before they strip.

BRANDON_90 wrote:

Ok. So would you say a 3/8 female is just good. You don't really need a 14mm fmale.

jamiespadina wrote:

If you are running it on the front or if you don't use pegs a 3/8th female is still good. If i could i would run 14mm any day.
If you can always run 14mm in the back for the extra strength for grinds and hard drops and the inner axle wont bend but the 3/8th bolt might if you run pegs. Get what i'm saying?

but yes a 3/8th female is almost as strong as a 14mm male, the 3/8th bolt being the down side

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

10/21/2013 6:47 PM

when you run pegs on a female hub, when you grind it puts most of the pressure into the frame

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

10/21/2013 7:29 PM

Just run male back and female front....

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/21/2013 7:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2013 7:51 PM

jj0996 wrote:

when you run pegs on a female hub, when you grind it puts most of the pressure into the frame

Not really, it goes into the bolt which is supported by the inner axle. Shouldn't put any more stress on a frame than male, maybe even less.

|

10/21/2013 7:57 PM

I just received a rear wheel with a bent axle today. It was a 8mm hollow 14mm axle, the one on the Shadow Raptor rear cassette. You guys think it being hollow may have led to that?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update





Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

10/21/2013 8:37 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I just received a rear wheel with a bent axle today. It was a 8mm hollow 14mm axle, the one on the Shadow Raptor rear cassette. You guys think it being hollow may have led to that?

no man being hollow usually means that it should be stronger but that being said ive seen quite alot of axles bent on the raptor lately.

|

The first breath is the beginning of death