Few Questions/New at BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

6/11/2015 8:40 AM

1.)How often should I grease bottom bracket and front/rear hubs?

2.)Any recommended lubricant for bottom bracket and grease for hubs?

|

6/11/2015 10:44 AM

Depending on your bike, they may be sealed. If they are sealed, don't grease them (you can't). The only excpetion would be if you install new bearings, put a little grease on the metal to metal contact areas.

If they are not sealed, grease them whenever they feel shitty. Take them apart, clean everything really well with brake cleaner or alcohol, and regrease them.

I use Park grease, but you can get away with any lithium grease. Avoid high temp grease because it's not very good at low temps.

|

6/11/2015 5:53 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

Depending on your bike, they may be sealed. If they are sealed, don't grease them (you can't). The only excpetion would be if ...more

You certainly can grease sealed bearings, just they don't often need regreased and more often than not, it's better to just replace them anyway. I've regreased countless ones. Just pop the seal off, clean it out, then put a bit of grease in there and pop the seal back on

If they're sealed bearings, you really shouldn't have to touch them unless they start feeling sluggish or making noises. If they're unsealed, I'd probably regrease them like twice a year or when they start feeling sluggish, making noises, etc. It's always good to adjust them every now and then, helps them last much longer that way.

Most any grease will do, Park Tools is commonly used by a lot of shops. I just use random all purpose grease from Wal-Mart

|

6/12/2015 5:57 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You certainly can grease sealed bearings, just they don't often need regreased and more often than not, it's better to just ...more

Yeah, you're right. They would never let me do that at work, and I get stuck in that mindset sometimes.

But, I do think it would be pretty difficult to remove and replace the seal without damaging it, and new BB bearings are pretty cheap. Realistically, if you did damage the seal, you could flip the bearing around so the damaged seal is toward the inside of the BB, but than I've also had issues removing BB bearings without damaging the seal.

|

6/12/2015 6:52 AM

tecnic1 wrote:

Yeah, you're right. They would never let me do that at work, and I get stuck in that mindset sometimes.

But, I do think it ...more

You need a good set of picks usually to do it well. I've been running the same BB for around 7 years now because I do that around every year or so.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/12/2015 1:03 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

But, I do think it ...more

Yeah removing hub bearing ones are a pain in the ass. I usually use a razor or a dental pick we have at the shop but even then it's risky so I only do it if it seems necessary. Bottom brackets are a lot easier and like you said you can just flip em around sometimes haha

|

6/12/2015 8:10 PM

Thanks guys i appreciate, thankd!smile!

|