Filed Dropouts / Warranty

Related:
Create New Tag

5/29/2017 2:30 PM

Photo

Photo

Photo

So if anyone remembers about a year ago I pinched / bent the dropouts on my S&M Bonesaw frame . I ended up being bored and finally ended up filing down the dropouts a tad so I can get my axle in without beating it to fuck with a mallet . It takes a tap to get that one side in the dropouts , but once it's in I can move it and adjust my chain tension while before it was a pain moving that one side . Feels good now !

I was curious if anyone else has every had this happen , I'm not super crazy but it think the design of the frame was the main factor of it bending . Also , I had an email from 1664 a long time ago giving me the OK to cut and file the dropouts because of this issue , it was with my local bike shop and done by a sponsored rider who works there . I ended up losing the email as I think gmail deleted it after an extended time even if highlighted . Should I contact them and ask to see if they can resend it or forward it ? Or just double check and see that I keep my warranty ? I don't want to ask and have them say no , but I want some assurance again that I'll be fine if I ever break the frame and want to rebuy another S&M frame . Or should I contact them directly ?
|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/29/2017 3:08 PM

Where did you buy the frame

|

I once walked into a gay bar it did not end well

5/29/2017 3:13 PM

Surely the frame has less than a years warranty on it anyway? 30 day manufacturer defect warranty is pretty standard. A year against breakages at most

|

5/29/2017 3:58 PM

The mistake was 1664, if it's an S&M frame you call S&M. They will tell you what to do. Anyone including myself that have done anything past small dents and stuff from use called them. Of 5 of us, 3 got sent new frames and free shipping to return the damaged one for "inspection and find the flaw". The other 2 where told what needed done to fix it.

|

5/29/2017 4:40 PM

To clear it up , I'm not trying to get a new frame at all . I just filed the dropouts down and remembered i had confirmation from 1664 to file it down and cut them . I recall that S&M has a "break a frame and get half off a new one" or something so I'm asking that if I contacted them that they'd still honour that . It's just a nice little touch on a 600$ frame . I love the Bonesaw , I'm not looking to try and get a new one a year later lol .

Maybe I'll contact S&M and ask . But ya it was definitely bent , it still is partially . The pictures don't do justice but in person it's super noticeable .

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/29/2017 5:31 PM

I wouldn't email them unless i wanted them to replace it. My soundwave dropout bent and i dremmeled it down. They still sent me a new one when it broke.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/29/2017 5:52 PM

You won't break that frame.

|

5/29/2017 8:05 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Surely the frame has less than a years warranty on it anyway? 30 day manufacturer defect warranty is pretty standard. A year ...more

last I knew, S&M had a year warranty on bending/breaking, then after that they only offer crash replacement. so yeah pretty much.

my previous Sunday's dropouts were messed up from grinds and I couldn't even get the axle in or out of there without beating it in or out, I took a file to it and they still warrantied it. But probably cause the cracks were nowhere near the dropouts. It also depends on S&M's warranty and if they wanna make an argument that your frame broke due to the dropouts if they wanna be dicks, but I don't see that happening so I'd assume you'll be fine

|

5/29/2017 8:51 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

To clear it up , I'm not trying to get a new frame at all . I just filed the dropouts down and remembered i had confirmation ...more

Call S&M no email

No you're not trying to get a free or 1/2 piece frame. But, it did bend so you probably will get a new one because bending a 41 thermal dropout/chainstay in a very small time is no question a high chance of a frame defect. And S&M will no question take care of you.

Here is the number (yes I have it in my phone lol)
714-835-3400
Ask for someone who deals with frame defects or warranty.

|

5/29/2017 8:57 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Surely the frame has less than a years warranty on it anyway? 30 day manufacturer defect warranty is pretty standard. A year ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

last I knew, S&M had a year warranty on bending/breaking, then after that they only offer crash replacement. so yeah ...more

S&M is not as amazing as Sunday but yes, they will be happy to get him hooked up with no issues.

By the way for anyone who wonders why I said S&M is a 41 thermal frame. Odyssey came up with the idea and started doing it. S&M was about to do similar and call it... thermal something. The guys at Odyssey contracted Chris at S&M and he tossed the thermal idea out (he had stickers and stuff ready too) and switched it to 4Q. It's all the same basic thing, but he was cool with Odyssey and changed it. Class move really

|

5/29/2017 8:59 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

To clear it up , I'm not trying to get a new frame at all . I just filed the dropouts down and remembered i had confirmation ...more

Gack2000 wrote:

Call S&M no email

No you're not trying to get a free or 1/2 piece frame. But, it did bend so you probably will get a new ...more

It's not a defected frame , my bonesaws dropouts bent inward as well , the frames designed with an older style longer dropout so riders who don't want to run a slammed wheel and have a longer rear end can from what I've heard , I just filed mine down too not a big issue , I'm used to doing that from riding old frames years ago

|

5/29/2017 9:41 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

S&M is not as amazing as Sunday but yes, they will be happy to get him hooked up with no issues.

By the way for anyone ...more

true, Sunday's warranty has always been excellent to me, just one more reason I'll continue riding them & Odyssey parts.

if the S&M 41 thermal thing is true, that's a really neat & fun fact. Did not know that. I know a lot of heat treatments are basically the same thing just with different names but still.

Also off topic but just wanted to say thanks again for the little workout/stretching program you typed out for me in a previous thread I made about my lower back. I've been following it (minus a few things that irritated it like the sitting toe touches) and it's only been about 2 weeks but my back's already doing better, hopefully it continues!

|

5/29/2017 11:40 PM

4Q baked and 41 thermal are just what they call pre weld heat treated. Most brands give it their own name to make it sound more special. It's supplied already heat treated from the tube manufacturer

|

6/1/2017 1:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2017 1:39 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

4Q baked and 41 thermal are just what they call pre weld heat treated. Most brands give it their own name to make it sound ...more

Odyssey states on their website (and many other places) it is a treatment they "pioneered" which would tell me either they work VERY CLOSELY with their suppliers of metals, OR they are full of it.

BUT if they developed "their version of it", then it is not just heat treated materials they get from a supplier and then they just have it welded into a part.

Also it is POST weld heat treating, not pre weld heat treating.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/1/2017 7:21 PM

Lol, your still on here asking dumb questions.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

6/1/2017 11:03 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Lol, your still on here asking dumb questions.

An idiot who replies to an idiot is a bigger idiot . smile))

Go make some wheels bud

|

My Cult 2 Short

6/2/2017 1:00 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

4Q baked and 41 thermal are just what they call pre weld heat treated. Most brands give it their own name to make it sound ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Odyssey states on their website (and many other places) it is a treatment they "pioneered" which would tell me either they ...more

Yeah you're right. I was thinking of the generic pre weld heat treating that most brands use

|