Filing fork dropouts to change offset?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/3/2017 9:23 AM

Anyone ever tried this. I was just wondering if it would work. I'm only talking about a couple millimeters. I don't think I'll actually do it, but I was wondering if it would work. I know it will affect tire clearance, but I don't like fat tires anyway.

|

7/3/2017 9:29 AM

Depends on the angle you file it at? Because the slot is angled, filing it in the same direction would hardly affect the off set. It would also drop your whole front end and bb if you filed it enough to affect the offset. And your axle would sit closer to the welds, so peg clearance would be reduced, and would crack easier if you do a lot of front peg grinds

|

7/3/2017 9:52 AM

Ehh I wouldn't do it, just buy new forks. Plus all the reasons Steve listed

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

7/3/2017 11:31 AM

Yeah I wasn't actually planning on doing it. I'm really happy with my forks right now. Cult sect ic v2s. they feel perfect. I've played around with a lot of different offsets, and I've gone through 4 sets of forks, and several frames, and stems to find the perfect combo that works for me. Finally landed on 75 head tube 28 offset forks, and 48mm stem. Took me a while, but I'm so happy with my bike finally. Now I just need to sell all the stuff I don't really like lol. Just been wondering if anyone has actually tried this, because I noticed my 30mm offset forks seem to sit closer to my tire, than my 32mm offset forks, and I was thinking maybe the only difference is that the dropout slots are a little closer in. If that makes sense? Not sure how to word it exactly.

|

7/3/2017 12:10 PM

Don't do it. Honestly a couple millimeters would be minimal in noticing, BUT you would notice when/if your fork gave out.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura