First BMX in 20+ years!

Related:
Create New Tag

10/3/2018 4:09 AM

Hi All,

I recently started my son at the local BMX club and have got the bug to get back into racing. I used to own a Redline 440 back in the 90s, but there are so many options available now, I don't even know where to start.

Should I go back to a 20" or go to a 24" like most of the other Dads? Is that like the standard option for old dudes now?

I am 38, approx 5'7" and around 160 pounds.

I am mainly looking to get a race bike, also not a massive air freak, but will likely ride some trails occasionally as well.

I welcome any recommendations!

|

10/3/2018 4:50 AM

To be honest, this is really more of a street/trails/park sort of forum but to answer your question.... for racing there are a ton of options. At 5'7" you can (and should, IMHO) get a 20'. Unless you want to race the other "dads" & they are only on 24's, I'd get the 20". I'm 6' & ride street on a 20" & there are a ton of others, taller than me, that ride 20" street bikes here on the forum. No reason you should look at a 24 unless you want to cruise/race with the other dads.

|

10/3/2018 5:42 AM

Great response dude, I was leaning that way. I think you have nailed it right there. I will go back to my roots and stick to a 20". Any recommendations on a dirt/trails bike that doesn't weigh as much as 20 cinder blocks?

|

10/3/2018 6:23 AM

If you're thinking of doing anything non race, go for a trails set up. Race bikes are in their own realm now, and won't really stand up to much abuse.
It depends what your budget it is, but something like the Eastern shovelhead, or even the mongoose L100 would be a good starter bike. Both are fairly long (by todays standards) so should be stable enough for some laps. Plus you'll be confident taking it to a skatepark and throwing it about a bit

|

10/3/2018 7:07 AM

Standard Trailboss.

|

10/3/2018 7:27 AM

Redline440 wrote:

Great response dude, I was leaning that way. I think you have nailed it right there. I will go back to my roots and stick to a ...more

Check out the chromo race frames from S&M and Standard. They’re plenty strong for screwing around and not too heavy to race.

|

10/3/2018 10:31 AM

Keep your eyes peeled in the used market as well. Granted, if you are looking at a BMX specific site for a bike (like a FB page), you might have a hard time getting a deal as a lot of BMX people, especially those who have race rigs, feel as though their bikes are made of gold. But there are deals to be had.

|