First Bike Advice.

Related:
Create New Tag

9/18/2017 6:09 AM

Hi guys, so I would like to get a first BMX for myself I have been looking for a few weeks now and so far the best option I found is the Mongoose Legion L100 it's cheap chromoly and the parts look good I'm 5.4 and yeah but I was wondering is there anything better than the Legion in the $200-$300 range? Used Suggestions welcome local craigslist chicago

|

9/18/2017 6:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2017 7:22 AM

Do a search on this subject here, on this site. This question is answered (nearly) daily. New, you won't find a better deal than the Legion for that money. Used, you can find stuff but you have to be patient & do your research on the bike listed for sale (i.e. "2015 Sunday Blueprint....$100 full Chromo, great bike...") If you were to do your research on this bike, you'd quickly find that it is NOT a full Chromoly frame.

On another note, with it getting late in "the season" for the Midwest, I'd suggest saving up a little more money (maybe drop some heavy hints at Christmas?) & get the Eastern Shovelhead or the Hoffman Bama. Both can be had for about $400 delivered & since the snow will be flying soon anyway & you won't be ab;e to ride outside of a park scene, you could have a much better bike at the start of next spring.

|

9/18/2017 6:56 AM

Nothing better unless you get lucky on something used. Id venture to say youd probably get ripped off though considering you most likely dont know what parts or types of parts to look for.

Id say go new and once things start falling apart research the part a ton and replace it with something that will hold up better than the last part.

Consider materials used, construction, design, features, etc.

Then once you get to the point where you are aftermarket 99% and the only stock thing on your bike is your frame. Switch your new aftermarket parts over to a top quality frame.

It will cost more than just buying a top tier complete right away, but it will teach you about what parts to look for what parts you prefer geometry-wise AND you will end up with a bike NOBODY else has part for part.

Keep your old frame and build it back up with as many of the lld parts that ard still usable and build a backup bike or a bike to sell cheap to fhnd your main bike.

Thats my suggestion. It worked well for me and its like a credit card. Pay more in the end but its pocket friendly on the day to day...Except at the end of this journey you got a bad ass Ferrari Tank!

|

9/18/2017 6:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2017 6:59 AM

Nothing better unless you get lucky on something used. Id venture to say youd probably get ripped off though considering you most likely dont know what parts or types of parts to look for.

Id say go new and once things start falling apart research the part a ton and replace it with something that will hold up better than the last part.

Consider materials used, construction, design, features, etc.

Then once you get to the point where you are aftermarket 99% and the only stock thing on your bike is your frame. Switch your new aftermarket parts over to a top quality frame.

It will cost more than just buying a top tier complete right away, but it will teach you about what parts to look for what parts you prefer geometry-wise AND you will end up with a bike NOBODY else has part for part.

Keep your old frame and build it back up with as many of the old parts that are still usable and build a backup bike or a bike to sell cheap to fund your main bike.

Thats my suggestion. It worked well for me and its like a credit card. Pay more in the end but its pocket friendly on the day to day...Except at the end of this journey you got a bad ass Ferrari Tank of a bike!

|

9/18/2017 4:24 PM

https://offerup.com/item/detail/337177738/?ref=Search found this looks good? guy said can do it for $120

|

9/18/2017 4:49 PM

AllanBMX wrote:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/337177738/?ref=Search found this looks good? guy said can do it for $120

Idk... it looks kinda sketchy...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/18/2017 5:35 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Idk... it looks kinda sketchy...

Yeah... Be sure it is what it's supposed to be. Otherwise it's no great deal no matter what the price.

|

9/19/2017 5:57 AM

|

9/19/2017 6:06 AM

AllanBMX wrote:

Okay, so I got a plan so I wanna buy a bike right now it's either gunna be this: ...more

I dont know about those.... they don't look the best and none of them have parts lists so they may be stolen.... i wouldn't buy any of those bikes unless they can give you a FULL parts list....

|

9/19/2017 6:44 AM

AllanBMX wrote:

Okay, so I got a plan so I wanna buy a bike right now it's either gunna be this: ...more

The 2nd and 3rd ones are older bikes...

Especially avoid that blue one with the chicago bars...

|

9/19/2017 6:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 6:53 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I dont know about those.... they don't look the best and none of them have parts lists so they may be stolen.... i wouldn't ...more

^^^THIS^^^

The Milwaukee bike is a GT & at that price is Hi-Tens.... if you are lucky (i.e. junk). The others you can't even tell what parts or if the frame is any particular model by the shitty pics posted. Hell, one is "freshly painted" (i.e. "Recently stolen" or "recent coverup for a beat bike"). C'mon man. I mean, I get it, you want a bike. But you can't just buy anything if you are actually looking for something decent. It's tough but be patient. Ask around with people who ride in your area. Check indoor parks, etc... they usually have a posting board with used bikes. Ask the people riding there if they know of anyone looking to sell something.

My prediction... you buy one of these bikes, get bored of riding because it was a passing fancy, you can't instantly do hop spins, grinds, & backflips & you hate your bike, then you end up trying to sell the bike on CL for what you bought it for to some other sucker.

Hope I'm wrong.

|

9/19/2017 9:46 AM

Look through here Pink Bike Buy and Sell 300 bucks and under Judging from the crap you're posting you don't have much of budget so I picked 300 bucks you can change that but I would check some bikes out and make an offer it's more than you have. Especially if the bike has been there for a while.

|

9/19/2017 2:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 2:28 PM

I live in illinois and yeah so if you guys can help me find a good bike on craigslist offerup anything like that I would be very thankful also dosen't need to be in illinois I can drive 1 to 1 and a half hours

|

9/19/2017 2:35 PM

|

9/19/2017 3:07 PM

|

9/19/2017 3:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 3:25 PM

These people will ship:

Fly

GT

Gap

Mac3

There's probably a few more there. I just skimmed through.

|

9/19/2017 6:27 PM

|

9/20/2017 5:54 AM

|

9/20/2017 6:43 AM

|

9/20/2017 6:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2017 3:41 PM

Hate to be the one to tell you this but I'm just trying to help... I think you might be over obsessing with getting a bike.... all the ones you find are just super sketchy looking and have little to no parts listed about the bike. They just say "freshly repainted" and stuff like that.... just look for a good bike with a person who can give a FULL parts list....

|

9/20/2017 6:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2017 7:28 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Hate to be the one to tell you this but I'm just trying to help... I think you might be over obsessing with getting a bike.... ...more

AND.... all the info you need is on the internet. IF you find a bike you like, google it. Does it have a full chromo frame, fork, bars? No? Move on.

You said you have $300 on the top end of your budget, that's great. For that money you can find a good used bike. But you need to know what you are looking for & what you are looking at to get that good deal. OR.... just get this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW44X4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_ZzgPzbKMRYWNX

We are more than willing to help but we shouldn't be your only stop for info. We aren't here to tell you what to buy. It doesn't matter to us what you ride & spend your money on. If you have a legit question, fire away. If you just post "should I buy this?", "should I buy this?", "how about this?", "should I buy this?".... over & over again, people are going to tire of your posts & begin ignoring you. Sorry. Just trying to help & being honest.

|

9/20/2017 10:09 AM

If you have a budget of 300 look at the higher end of your budget. There's a Gap I posted for 230 obo and he ships. It's not full Chromo but it's a nice beginner bike. Offer him 200 bucks. That Fly bike is really nice and is 300 plus shipping. I'd go for that. The GT says it's full Chromo but GT is not the brand it once was and I don't know how good it is.

|

9/20/2017 3:47 PM

I really like this and if I had the money I'd probably pick it up... it looks like its been taken care of and it has multiple QUALITY pictures... it's a 2014 Fitbikeco WIFI complete and so it had the aftermarket WIFI frame and it has the Fit Blade V.2 forks I believe and double wall rims laced to sealed hubs and it also has aftermarket Fit Inman bars and also the 19mm Fit Indent aftermarket cranks....
https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1778584/

And here is the promo video for it...
http://fitbikeco.com/10846/

|

9/21/2017 3:29 PM

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1996781460541611

Here... Tell him you'll give him 280 & see if he bites

|