First Bike any good?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/2/2017 5:26 PM

|

10/2/2017 6:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2017 6:44 PM

Who's riding it? Age, height, weight, skill?

Not knowing all that, I'd still refer you to the Mongoose Legion L100 instead. Much better beginner bike.

|

10/2/2017 7:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2017 7:12 PM

When it says chromoly mainframe that means top tube downtube and headtube most likely. Seat tube, chainstays, seat stays, bottom bracket and dropouts are most likely the inferior (for this application) 1020 Hi-tensile blend of steel. And ya a little bit more mony and you got yourself a nice bike. I will soon be an owner of the legion 100 in 2 days! I will tell all about it, in detail.

|

10/3/2017 5:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2017 5:45 AM

Okay, Just right off the bat when I get the Mongoose will I need to get a new stem and pedals and stuff to do any tricks or stuff like that if so I just don't want to spend extra $40 so yeah. 2. The Hoffman Aves is only $191 and it has a chromoly mainframe chromoly cranks and other stuff even a seal mid bb for $191. I heard also that Hoffman makes very nice completes. Also I'm 5.4 138 pounds.

|

10/3/2017 5:19 AM

AllanBMX wrote:

Okay, Just right off the bat when I get the Mongoose will I need to get a new stem and pedals and stuff to do any tricks or ...more

I wasnt comparing brands just bikes. The one you listed originally is made with chromoly and hi-ten.

The mongoose legion l100 is full chromoly everything. With Sealed everything, good geo, fully aftermarket compatible, etc.

The main difference is just the amount of chromoly steel. Basic rule of thumb is: more chromoly parts=better.

|

10/3/2017 5:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2017 5:22 AM

AllanBMX wrote:

Okay, Just right off the bat when I get the Mongoose will I need to get a new stem and pedals and stuff to do any tricks or ...more

Hoffman is a good company too though, I would recommend the condor if you are set on hoffman. I was just letting you know for a bit more money you could have full chromoly instead of a half and half deal.

The hoffman condor is about 50 dollars more than the l100.

|

10/3/2017 5:47 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Not knowing all that, I'd still refer you to the Mongoose Legion L100 instead. ...more

Okay, Just right off the bat when I get the Mongoose will I need to get a new stem and pedals and stuff to do any tricks or stuff like that if so I just don't want to spend extra $40 so yeah. 2. The Hoffman Aves is only $191 and it has a chromoly mainframe chromoly cranks and other stuff even a seal mid bb for $191. I heard also that Hoffman makes very nice completes. Also I'm 5.4 138 pounds another thing I have no skill and I'm 10 I know it's hard to believe but anyways that does't matter.

|

10/3/2017 6:08 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Not knowing all that, I'd still refer you to the Mongoose Legion L100 instead. ...more

AllanBMX wrote:

So you know that implies the rear triangle is hi-ten?

Dont do too many 180's lol

Thats a real thing btw, im not just repeating what ive heard. Backends are more likely to bend and twist when companies choose to use hi-ten in place of chromoly for rear triangles.

If youre looking purely for lowest dollar bike that will be rideable there are probably even cheaper options than the hoffman.

Either way, im happy that you are getting a first bike. I Just wish I personally had listened more when I bought my first complete. I would have been happier and not had to pay so much to replace every part on my bike that I wasnt happy with or broke prematurely due to poor quality materials used.

Im not saying the mongoose will be vastly superior but for the price it sure beats the hoffman on paper. As I said earlier, I will provide a detailed rundown on the bike tomorrow. I did buy a "return unit" for 150 dollars less (plus free ship!) than full retail but it should be decent enough for me to get a grasp on quality of parts and such.

Again, go with your heart but dont be afraid to take others opinions and experience into account. smile

|

10/3/2017 6:19 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

AllanBMX wrote:

You'd be alright on the Hoffman at your level of skill, weight, etc... But the Mongoose IS a better bike. The parts on the Hoffman & Mongoose will be nearly identical (stem, pedals, etc...). If you were to bend the pedals on the Mongoose, you would probably have bent them on the Hoffman as well. Overall, the Mongoose will be a longer lasting bike than the Hoffman, at least, when considering these two particular models.

|

10/3/2017 6:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2017 6:31 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

AllanBMX wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

So you know that implies the rear triangle is hi-ten?

Dont do too many 180's lol

Thats a real thing btw, im not just ...more

Okay, I do understand all this but for this price range what would be the best bike possible? Also I found this: https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bid/d/new-bmx-se-heavy-hitter-2015/6327250191.html the guy said he can do $299.99 still that's a bit more than I would like to spend also with that I have a 12% off albes coupon.

|

10/3/2017 6:31 AM

AllanBMX wrote:

Okay, I do understand all this but for this price range what would be the best bike possible? Also I found this: ...more

What price range exactly... $200-$300?

|

10/3/2017 6:36 AM

$200-$300 new Mongoose, Legion L100. Period.

Used, there's a lot out there to be had. & it's harder due to having to research everything. The SE Hitman is a solid bike. Full Chromo frame, forks, cranks, etc..;

|

10/3/2017 6:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2017 8:51 AM

Hoffman condor is full chromoly as I said and on amazon.com it is around your price range.

But as most will say if you want the best bike for your money. Look for a used bike. Just like cars, they lose their value quickly bit that doesnt mean they lose their quality.

Do a shit ton of research on parts, brands, materials, manufacturing processes etc. And look around for a used bike.

Im sure you could just post here and we can give you valuable info but your best bet is to truly do the footwork of researching so you dont get taken advantage of when you are on your own purchasing something from an individual that will most likely not accept returns lol

|

10/3/2017 6:30 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Used, there's a lot out there to be had. & it's harder due to having to ...more

IMO the Goose L100 is too big for a young person who is 5.4.

|

10/3/2017 6:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2017 6:57 PM

Unless he is planning on doing some crazy tricks, I dont think bike size makes a huge difference. My 4'10" son will be riding a 19.5" frame it looks pretty normal suprisingly.

My wife is 5'2" and she rides my 21" frame comfortably.

|

10/4/2017 4:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2017 4:53 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Used, there's a lot out there to be had. & it's harder due to having to ...more

Wayne S wrote:

Hell, I am 6'1" & I rode an 18.5" old school Mongoose Decade Pro without an issue. When I stared riding BMX, there's weren't any 18" BMX bikes (dating myself horribly). If you wanted to ride BMX, you rode a 20". In fact, I don't recall a single person EVER looking at TT length before buying a new frame or bike. It just wasn't done. For this kid, at 5'4" * 138#. he's not going to be at that height/weight for long & will shoot up at least 4" in the (probably) near future (next couple years). If he got an 18". he'd be spending money for nothing & have a donation bike on his hands. Then we'd all be at this point again in a couple years when he needs a full-size 20". IMHO.

|

10/4/2017 5:25 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Unless he is planning on doing some crazy tricks, I dont think bike size makes a huge difference. My 4'10" son will be riding ...more

Bike size matters a lot with just simple ground tricks, things where body leverage and pure muscle is needed.

|

10/4/2017 5:47 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Hell, I am 6'1" & I rode an 18.5" old school Mongoose Decade Pro without an issue. When I stared riding BMX, there's ...more

I pretty much always looked at frame/ bikes geometry even in the early 80s.

I am not writing the kid should not get a 20 inch bmx. What I am writing is the kid should not get a 21 TT bike especially with it having a long chainstay by today's standards, which I believe is 13.75 slammed?

Not directed at you here, tho the "grow into" things is a very old mentality that kids these days want no part of.

|

10/5/2017 5:55 AM

Wayne S wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Hell, I am 6'1" & I rode an 18.5" old school Mongoose Decade Pro without an issue. When I stared riding BMX, there's ...more

Wayne S wrote:

I am not writing the kid should not get a 20 ...more

Yeah, I get it that kids may not want to "grow into" a bike but I still think it's worthwhile considering everything he's probably going to go thru soon. But, hey, it isn't my money, LOL. I'm guessing he'll get a Hoffman part hi-tens bike anyway. He seems to be stuck on a name. On another note, I didn't even realize the Mongoose is a 21" TT. For some reason I thought it was 20.5 or something close to that.

|

10/5/2017 9:18 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Wayne S wrote:

I am not writing the kid should not get a 20 ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, I get it that kids may not want to "grow into" a bike but I still think it's worthwhile considering everything he's ...more

Everyone gets it confused. Mainly because on the frame itself it says "20.75" I measured it myself and it is 21" center of head tube to center of seat post! It feels good btw!

Heres what it looks like now that I stole the frame and front wheel and built it up with aftermarket everything else!

I left the mongoose stickers on so people will give me shit when I go to skateparks! LolPhoto

|

10/5/2017 9:20 AM

Get a Mafia haha haha haha haha..
But seriously.. Don't!

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT