First Time Riding Street

Related:
Create New Tag

7/10/2018 7:58 AM

I'm looking for advise on riding street spots. Do you ride a spot if people are around? Are spots in view of busy streets ok? Should I be concerned with security cameras? Dealing with people/cops, etc. Any insight would be very welcomed.

I have recently started riding BMX and I've only been messing around in parking lots and a little bit of park. I've been working on my hops and grinds. I really want to ride street and I have found a really cool spot that has a couple nice ledges and a couple banks.

I am nervous about riding this spot though, because I've never ridden street before. This spot is on a busy street. It looks like it'll be lit enough at night when there is little traffic.

Thanks!

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

7/10/2018 8:04 AM

You'll be fine, if cops come and tell you to leave, just RESPECTFULLY leave, don't be an ssshole to them (I'm not saying you are an asshole I'm just saying lol)

You shouldn't be scared to ride street, but if you are that's cool, but do what I said above and you'll be good dude!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/10/2018 8:08 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

You'll be fine, if cops come and tell you to leave, just RESPECTFULLY leave, don't be an ssshole to them (I'm not saying you ...more

Thanks!

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

7/10/2018 8:33 AM

Yeah, in general, if someone asks you to leave, just leave. Usually that's all that will happen. Sometimes you run into a Barney Fife type (look it up) & If a security guard tries getting physical, etc... for no reason, get out of there. Just better to avoid the conflict. but most times, if you aren't destroying things (a great ledge for grinds that's getting chewed up or there are telltale rubber marks being left behind can be construed as "damage) you usually don't have any issues. Just keep in mind that you aren't the owner. A owner or the owners agent (i.e. security guard, etc...) have the right to ask you to leave. Sometimes they just don't want to have the liability of you getting hurt on their property. With that said, if you DO hurt yourself riding on someone else's property, don't be a dick & sue. You knew what you were doing when you did what you did.

|

7/10/2018 8:35 AM

Keep an eye on everything and everybody and then you will get a feeling for the timing and for the possibilities.

|

7/10/2018 8:57 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

I'm looking for advise on riding street spots. Do you ride a spot if people are around? Are spots in view of busy streets ok? ...more

As others have said, 9 times out of 10 if someone asks you to leave and you leave, that's the end of it. It's usually when people get indignant about their rights to mess up public/private property that problems happen.

Also, you're in Buffalo and I'm pretty sure there's a fairly good street scene up there. Check out instagram and see if people are posting clips at certain spots. Usually spots become spots because there isn't much security and nobody really bothers you. Good luck! Street is probably my favorite discipline to ride even though its so hard on the body.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/10/2018 8:59 AM

I would always pic a time and place that doesn't have a lot of people about, unless it's a big well known street spot and you're with a crew.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

7/10/2018 9:00 AM

vie4130 wrote:

Keep an eye on everything and everybody and then you will get a feeling for the timing and for the possibilities.

This is a really good point too. Spend some time in that area to get a feel for if people sit/work around there, if people take their lunchbreaks there and how often security rolls around. There are a lot of spots in NYC that are empty in the morning but are filled to capacity from like noon til midnight.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/10/2018 9:06 AM

You gotta learn your spots. Some are fine during the day in front of everyone and some aren’t. Give it a go and if you get kicked out, come back at night or on a weekend and try again. Security cameras only matter if someone is on the other side watching you, most the time they aren’t. Don’t worry about people thretening you with the classic “we have you on our security cameras, we can find you.” They can’t and won’t unless you did something really serious like kill sombody.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

7/10/2018 9:10 AM

No rules, ride what looks fun-just try not to hurt anybody or get hit by a car.

|

7/10/2018 9:15 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

You gotta learn your spots. Some are fine during the day in front of everyone and some aren’t. Give it a go and if you get ...more

Thanks! I'm just nervous about that first encounter. I see you're in Richmond, I'm actually going to be in Richmond the end of this month. I do competitive improv comedy and ComedySportz Richmond is having their Sweat T Tournament the 27-28th and I'm going with the Buffalo Team to compete. I'm planning on bringing my bike with me. I'm staying with a friend and saw that there are a couple parks near his place.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

7/10/2018 11:17 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

You gotta learn your spots. Some are fine during the day in front of everyone and some aren’t. Give it a go and if you get ...more

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Thanks! I'm just nervous about that first encounter. I see you're in Richmond, I'm actually going to be in Richmond the end of ...more

Come check out powers bike shop while you’re down here. Best bmx shop and there are ramps free to ride.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

7/10/2018 11:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2018 11:26 AM

Just use your common sense and you'll be fine. Most good spots are pretty marked up from other people riding them anyway. Just be careful private land such as university campuses and shopping centre plazas. They're some of the best spots but you'll usually get kicked out. Just move on when asked and don't be a dick. In the UK at least, it's perfectly legal to go pretty much wherever you like as long as you leave when asked if it's private property. Plastic pegs help too, just got a pair myself and I'm looking forward to ripping marble ledges guilt free!

|

7/10/2018 2:54 PM

if you able to handle yourself, always ride the hood. aint nobody callin police on you for riding some spots, infact most people in the hood get hyped on it, but some ya know you have to handle your business they have some nefarious intentions so dont sleep. dont act shook the hood smells the fear.

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

7/10/2018 3:00 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

if you able to handle yourself, always ride the hood. aint nobody callin police on you for riding some spots, infact most ...more

Lol

|

Hmmm

7/10/2018 3:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2018 11:56 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

yes this.

learn the spots, and if you move things out of the way like a bench or something, put it back when you’re done. and don’t leave trash either, dead giveaway people were there, not that tire/grind marks aren’t though lolol

also yeah they like never check security cameras unless you really fuck up or really damage some shit. or jump on the hood of a car, I can confirm that personally ? just don’t be an idiot and you’ll be fine

|

7/10/2018 7:47 PM

Dont ride around people. You can ride within sight of people, most people don't care or will watch a few grinds then move on. But dont ride if there are people close enough to get hurt by what you are doing or get you hurt because you have to bail to make sure you dont hit someone with your bike.

Dont have an attitude.

Leave when asked by anyone. If someone cares enough to come up and talk to you about what you are doing they are likely to have a cop calling mentality. Most people can not relate to riding bmx and completely dont understand we are not doing this for purely destructive purposes.

Do your best not to hit spots that are memorials.

Find closed (abandoned) buildings and nobody will bother you usually.

Travel in a small group if you choose to ride with others. Easier to get away less to worry about. Less visibility if you are in a spot that you get kicked out easily.

If you bring a bag make sure its small and you're able to ride with it so you dont have to set it down at a spot. If you get into trouble you need to be able to split quick and not leave your stuff.

Always bring a tool and some basic stuff like an extra tube. Glass/goatheads suck.

Look for places that are lit at night. Less people around and easier to get away at night.

Dont park right next to where you are riding if you choose to drive. A cop might possibly run your plates if you ride away and they suspect its your vehicle.

Try to run a quiet setup if you have the funds to do so. People literally cant hear me coming until im about 5ft away from them with a freecoaster. That would mean easier entering and exiting a spot. My loud ass cassettes people can hear from a mile away.

I run plastic pegs on my street setup for this reason too, they are a bit quieter and damage things a lot less when I grind with them.

Those are some of my tips, Hope some help you out!

|

7/11/2018 12:43 AM

Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo... That's the worst name I ever heard

|

7/11/2018 2:10 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Lol

i mean its true, last sunday city organizer told me i couldnt ride in the skatepark so i punk'd em out they changed their tune real quick after they realized they literally have no power to tell anyone they can or can not do something

|

7/11/2018 2:25 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

if you able to handle yourself, always ride the hood. aint nobody callin police on you for riding some spots, infact most ...more

Edman123 wrote:

Lol

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

i mean its true, last sunday city organizer told me i couldnt ride in the skatepark so i punk'd em out they changed their tune ...more

I don't believe that for a second, city workers can't do anything but they are more than happy to call the cops.
The only reason I replied that way way because I thought it was a pretty long winded way of saying keep an eye out do yourself.

|

Hmmm

7/12/2018 10:17 AM

I rode the spot, It was cool. There was an employee working and saw me through their window. He didn't do anything. He just kept working and I kept riding. It's a fun little spot. I noticed it has been used before. I found the ledges were already waxed! Thanks for all the help!

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

7/12/2018 1:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2018 2:04 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I don't believe that for a second, city workers can't do anything but they are more than happy to call the cops.
The only ...more

where i regularly ride. "The only reason I replied that way way because I thought it was a pretty long winded way of saying keep an eye out do yourself." not all of us have the best grammar or writing skills especially when from the streets.

?start=54

"Welcome to Newburgh, Murder Capital of New York"
http://nymag.com/news/crimelaw/newburgh-2011-10/

"In Newburgh, Gangs and Violence Reign"
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/12/nyregion/12newburgh.html

cops wont do shit about a bike in a skatepark theyre too worried about real crime. human trafficking, drug trafficking, terrorism etc. i also knew said person didnt have the balls to meet me in person to try and stop me.
|

7/12/2018 2:47 PM

Probably repeating a lot of what other people have said. But, you'll develop a spidey sense, like who's around, what you can do, if there's a good or bad vibe at a spot, etc etc. But the beauty of street is, if you use your imagination, everything is rideable. Don't just look for a perfect ledge. Look for bump jumps, and wall rides, curb cuts, cellar doors, stair sets. Think of ways of using them all together, bump jump to wall ride, hop up stairs to manual to wall into a cellar door etc etc. The possibilities are literally endless.

After reading something Dan price wrote, I've been intentionally riding the same old spots to force myself to think of new lines. They don't always work, so I think of something else.

|

7/12/2018 8:42 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

Best advice yet

|

7/12/2018 9:30 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

Best advice yet

This actually isn't bad advice, I live in a sketchy neighbor (not gunshots bad, just lots of bums, hookers and drugheads wondering around) and never get the boot at my local spots. The crackheads and bums love it. Cops rarely cruise the neighborhood and if they do they're not stopping for someone doing tricks on a bike. So as long as you don't look like an easy victim you should be fine.

|

7/12/2018 9:49 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

Best advice yet

Phunny93 wrote:

This actually isn't bad advice, I live in a sketchy neighbor (not gunshots bad, just lots of bums, hookers and drugheads ...more

I always get homeless people digging what I do. They come up and hug me and ask me questions. They always want to see me do a bunny hop.

|