First bike help

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2016 8:23 PM

A few days ago I posted about the Mongoose Mode 900, however, I saved some extra cash and there is also a code on Danscomp for 15% off (4715TY) and I can get a Kink Curb which fits my budget perfectly, would you guys reccomend the Kink curb, or is there another good sub $300 bike?

|

3/10/2016 8:44 PM

The Kink Curb is a pile of shit compared to the Mongoose.

The Mongoose is full chromoly frame, fork, bars & crank, double wall rims, sealed integrated headset, 20.5" TT. It does have unsealed wheels & bottom bracket though, but so does the Kink.

The Kink is all hi-tensile steel except for the cranks (and possibly bars), fully unsealed including the headset which is also a standard headset, and a 20" TT

|

3/10/2016 10:01 PM

Unsealed bb means it will be US not mid. No major drama, but if you wanted to upgrade cranks along the way you'd need a new bb too. And it's a touch heavier than mid

|

3/10/2016 10:18 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Unsealed bb means it will be US not mid. No major drama, but if you wanted to upgrade cranks along the way you'd need a new bb too. And it's a touch heavier than mid

Not necessarily, unsealed mid BBs do exist although they are very uncommon. I've only ever personally seen one set of them and I work with bikes.

But I'm pretty sure the Mongoose is a US/American BB. All I could find was that it's unsealed which typically means American. He could always get this though if he wants to upgrade, then he already has the sealed bearings & cups for when/if he decides to do the cranks as well, or even frame.

|

3/10/2016 11:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 11:36 PM

Mid bb by its very design is sealed. If it's not sealed then it's not mid. Some kids bikes have a smaller shell than a standard unsealed US, but it's still not mid.

You can buy sealed US bb. The mid was designed by removing the bearings from a profile US bb and press fitting them directly into a frame (fbm pw moto was the first frame with mid). Back then the only cranks you could use with a mid frame were profiles, and you'd take the bearing out of a US cup (no one made mid specific bb). Primo US bearings had a larger O.D than profiles so they wouldn't fit and no one else was really making decent cranks (they were around, but the main choice was either profile or primo).

Basically, you can buy cranks, and a sealed US bb, and it will fit. If you buy a profile US BB, then upgrade to a mid frame, you can take the bearings out of the cups and use them

|

3/11/2016 12:50 AM

I've also seen ONE unsealed mid BB... Of course it's impossible to run one-piece cranks, so they use the unsealed three-piece crank setup. I had that on a Diamondback until I swapped the 8-spline crank arms and the spindle bolts onto a standard 8-spline spindle.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

3/11/2016 11:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2016 11:21 AM

Naw, don't get it. It's as good as a bump in the road. Just like a curb.

Hehe...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

3/11/2016 11:27 AM

Search Craigslist for a custom before you buy new. Just make sure it's not beat to hell before you buy it

|

3/11/2016 12:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2016 1:24 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Mid bb by its very design is sealed. If it's not sealed then it's not mid. Some kids bikes have a smaller shell than a standard unsealed US, but it's still not mid.

You can buy sealed US bb. The mid was designed by removing the bearings from a profile US bb and press fitting them directly into a frame (fbm pw moto was the first frame with mid). Back then the only cranks you could use with a mid frame were profiles, and you'd take the bearing out of a US cup (no one made mid specific bb). Primo US bearings had a larger O.D than profiles so they wouldn't fit and no one else was really making decent cranks (they were around, but the main choice was either profile or primo).

Basically, you can buy cranks, and a sealed US bb, and it will fit. If you buy a profile US BB, then upgrade to a mid frame, you can take the bearings out of the cups and use them

There are a few bikes I came across a looseball BB that was close to if not mid size. Not common, mostly on crap and little kids no name bikes. I installed one for a dude who wanted to rebuild the bike he had growing up for his son. Spent like 250 bucks on a 30 dollar bike.

Basically they were tiny looseball cups that pressed in.

http://www.jbi.bike/web/checking_product_description.php?part_number=21541

Here is an example, it is only a few MM smaller than your average American Sized BB. the few that I ran across were on par with the MID size.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/11/2016 12:52 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

There are a few bikes I came across a looseball BB that was close to if not mid size. Not common, mostly on crap and little kids no name bikes. I installed one for a dude who wanted to rebuild the bike he had growing up for his son. Spent like 250 bucks on a 30 dollar bike.

Basically they were tiny looseball cups that pressed in.

http://www.jbi.bike/web/checking_product_description.php?part_number=21541

Here is an example, it is only a few MM smaller than your average American Sized BB. the few that I ran across were on par with the MID size.

that's probably the same kind of BB I mentioned above that I saw… they are definitely Mid sized though cause the one I'm talking about was pressed into a mid BB shell and for some reason the kid also had a Spanish BB bearing tapped into the cup as well haha it was weird. The Spanish bearing didn't sit in there flush though obviously but the bearing cup pressed right into the Mid BB shell just like a normal American BB cup would

|

3/11/2016 1:33 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

that's probably the same kind of BB I mentioned above that I saw… they are definitely Mid sized though cause the one I'm talking about was pressed into a mid BB shell and for some reason the kid also had a Spanish BB bearing tapped into the cup as well haha it was weird. The Spanish bearing didn't sit in there flush though obviously but the bearing cup pressed right into the Mid BB shell just like a normal American BB cup would

That kid was struggling to macguyer it up!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/11/2016 2:52 PM

Seriously?!? $195 at Walmart for the mongoose 900? I have a neighbor who wants to get into bmx as well. Is this the current title holder for best/cheap full cromo? You guys know of anything around $300?

|