First bmx bike

Related:
Create New Tag

9/5/2017 2:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2017 3:53 AM

Hey all.

So I've looked into it a lot and looked at reviews etc and I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about Mafia bikes, however I've got my eye on one and it is a Mafia bike - http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/mafia-Kush2-Bmx-bike-/202036133652?hash=item2f0a4abf14%3Ag%3AbrsAAOSw3h1ZWks8&_trkparms=pageci%253A022443f5-921c-11e7-80cb-74dbd180ed86%257Cparentrq%253A515ae54a15e0a9cad5e3b71efff9179c%257Ciid%253A2

Obviously getting my first bmx is a hard decision because I want something that'll last me but I don't want to spend too much money incase I don't enjoy it. My budget is about £250, maybe £300 if you can persuade me lol. Because I'm 5'9 and about 123lbs I think I'd need something light I can actually lift off the ground. I can't really put weight on or 'go to the gym' so I'd have to work around it.

Does anyone have ideas on which bike I should get? Or if getting that Mafia bike I linked is fine?

Thanks

|

9/5/2017 9:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2017 10:03 AM

You would be much better off with a mongoose, if that's the most you want to spend. They have a full chromoly bike for that price. The mafia bikes are not made for doing tricks on. They will break if your doing anything more than hopping of curbs. The mongoose is will take more abuse. I think it's called the l100 or something like that.
I just noticed the bike your looking at is also used. Are you kidding? You can get a new one for cheaper lol. That bike is terrible. Do some research before you buy anything. A google search will answer your questions.

|

9/5/2017 10:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2017 10:08 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

You would be much better off with a mongoose, if that's the most you want to spend. They have a full chromoly bike for that ...more

Yeah I had a look at the Mongoose Legion L100 (I assume that's the one you're referring to) and it looked good although I'm not sure how light it is, I couldn't find the weight anywhere. I don't suppose you know, do you?

|

9/5/2017 10:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2017 10:12 AM

just get one and ride. Your body will adapt to the weight. If you are just starting out, you won't be throwing it around X Games style anyways until you have developed the muscles to do so. And you don't need a gym for that. they will develop by riding, and practicing. In your budget range, you are not going to see a huge difference in weight from price to price

...and I am not meaning to sound like a jerk in tis thread. I am just saying that at the beginning level, weight will not have any effect on what you are doing/learning. In fact, learning on a heavier bike will make it easier if you do decide to go on and shred. When you invest in a bike that is the "next level up"...where weight will be different, you will have built some strength

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/5/2017 10:16 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

You would be much better off with a mongoose, if that's the most you want to spend. They have a full chromoly bike for that ...more

That's not entirely true, yes mafia bikes are from being great bikes but y'all need to stop exgatterating the truth, not trying to be rude but I have 2 friends that have mb bikes and they both go hard on it, one even flairs off the quarter with it and they have held up, three months in and only issue is one broken rim but that's cause he cases on a flair. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying go out and buy a mb, I would not advise that either but if that bike is really what you are feeling go for it. I would go look into kink, cult, colony, or Sunday most of them make cheap begginer bikes that will last you until you actually need that great bike, I am assuming you are just starting by your post, so right now you really don't need that top of the line bike, especially if you don't know if you actually going to stick with it. So at your stage I would go find all the bikes that fall in your price range and figure out which one you like the most, the only thing I would say be very sure to get is fully sealed bearings and a intregated head tube. My first bike was a really beaten wtp that a guy was selling for 80 bucks, it also had quality parts on it, so I would also check what's locally being sold, even if it is a little above your budget most people will bargain the price down for you.

|

Ride till you die

9/5/2017 11:15 AM

The mafia bikes are not made for doing tricks on. They will break if your doing anything more than hopping of curbs.


Sigh, they may not be the best bikes for the money but this is bollocks. Harry puts the madmain through some pretty tough tricks in a recent video, whether you like him or not he is a damn good rider and those bikes took some abuse.

For beginners they are perfectly fine.
|

9/5/2017 11:59 AM

As good as a rider he may be, he is deplorable as a person and gets paid to put his name on those frames. Can't count how many people have broken mafia bikes. There is a reason why people talk about these frames in poor taste. Most of those frames will come with a warning to not do tricks or jumps as the bike is not built for those actions. A used kink whip or even a full chromo mongoose,
eastern shovel head, Hoffman bama would be a much better choice than any hi ten frame. You know who gets a high ten frame, your 6 year old kid who isn't sure if bmx is for him so you dont break the bank on a chromo bike.

|

9/5/2017 12:29 PM

You could all ways get a jet. Not the best bike but good for beginners.

|

9/5/2017 12:49 PM

So taking in what you all said about Mafia bikes I think I'll stay away from them... I know no one mentioned Sunday bikes but I found an EX 2017 bike, full chromoly so I'm sure it'll last me a while. I heard Sunday was a decent bmx company. I wouldn't pay full price for it because it's 2nd hand the owners are asking £245. should I go for it?

|

9/5/2017 12:50 PM

Sunday are great bikes much better than mafia....Giver...offer 250 and ride on!

|

9/5/2017 1:18 PM

Yeah I ride a Sunday and it's awesome

|

Ride till you die

9/5/2017 1:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2017 1:38 PM

As good as a rider he may be, he is deplorable as a person and gets paid to put his name on those frames.

How dare somebody promote a product for money, you wouldn't catch celebs or any famous sports people doing that! What next, Ellie Goulding doing a shampoo ad for a product she doesn't use?!

As to deplorable, do you see how good he is with the kids? Not many people would be as good with his younger fans. You may not like him but that is far from making him deplorable.

You know who gets a high ten frame, your 6 year old kid who isn't sure if bmx is for him so you dont break the bank on a chromo bike.

Also total nonsense, most 18-inch bikes are hi-ten and aren't cheap. My son's fit 18" certainly wasn't. My mate bought his kid a 20" green-fuel mafia madmain and he *loves it* and hasn't had a single problem.

Again, not saying there aren't problems but you can find problems with any bike if you look.

Personally, I like to support companies like Haro, Odyssey etc. so I am far from a mafia fanboy and although I find Harry can be a bit irritating (or very much so when he does "nice little touch init") I think a lot of it is jealousy from the community.
|

9/5/2017 1:59 PM

Just so you know, some of the mafia bikes actually come with a warning telling you not to do tricks with them. That's why I made that comment in the first place. messing around with hi-ten forks, that actually weigh less than some chromoly forks is a bad idea. You will eventually eat shit in the worst way possible when they break. They will break too eventually.

|

9/5/2017 2:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2017 2:23 PM

Ramorak wrote:
As good as a rider he may be, he is deplorable as a person and gets paid to put his name on those frames.

How dare somebody ...more

As long as she is marketing good shampoo that helps the general shampoo scene, then I'm all about Ellie and shampoo... Sorry that safety and quality are not important to you in the products you purchase, but hey like you say, hes such a cool guy who cares what he gets paid to push right? Id probably buy an Ellie goulding bike over a mafia tbh... wink

|

9/6/2017 1:46 AM

Ramorak wrote:
As good as a rider he may be, he is deplorable as a person and gets paid to put his name on those frames.

How dare somebody ...more
BcBMX80 wrote:

As long as she is marketing good shampoo that helps the general shampoo scene, then I'm all about Ellie and shampoo... Sorry ...more

Not trying to be a dick again, but he has proven they can handle pressure, go watch him do flairs on it, and spencer forman threw one off the mega ramp and it didn't break, also took sledgehammer hits lol I am far from a mafia fan, but I hate when people just want to keep bashing shit and when it's been shown that it can take some beatings, granted it's going to break faster then a chrmo bike but when I have seen people with my own eyes do massive flairs on it, kind of shows me you guys are talking a little too big. Again I don't like the brand at all, will never go tell someone to go buy one there are too many better options out there, but just stop with the whole bashing stuff and maybe use some more constructive criticism...

|

Ride till you die

9/6/2017 7:28 AM

Ramorak wrote:
As good as a rider he may be, he is deplorable as a person and gets paid to put his name on those frames.

How dare somebody ...more

It's the way he comes off as used car salesman. It's painful to watch him shill those low-end bikes like they are amazing. They're not. I bet you could get a bike that's just as nice or nicer than a Mafia complete at Walmart.

|

9/6/2017 8:02 AM

The undeniable FACT is: Full Chromo is better & will last longer that hi-Tens steel.

|

9/6/2017 10:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2017 10:55 AM

Whatever bike you choose i would make sure it's fully cromo. I've read so much bad stuff about Mafia it's ridiculous, i don't have any experience with their completes but a close friend has a 20.8 hitmain. It's not something I'd buy simply because of the geo but that frame has been hard ridden by a 200+lb rider for close to a year with no issues... In short i wouldn't spend my there but the hitmain is a solid frame for sure.

|

9/6/2017 7:03 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

It's the way he comes off as used car salesman. It's painful to watch him shill those low-end bikes like they are amazing. ...more

The way he markets himself and his products does not bother me. In fact he is pretty low key, compared to other sports celebrities/stars

This part is not directed towards you, tho your Walmart remark got me thinking.

Lets be real, Hate on Harry for not pushing and helping spread the bmx life?
Please do not drink the koolaid.


I hear/read that Harry and his sponsor are the Devil for selling direct?
Really?
Hate on Harry for it, tho tell others to possibly buy bikes like Hoffman/ Hyper and Mongoose just to name a few that are or have been sold at Big store chains?


Lets be real guys, Places like Walmart, Dicks sporting goods and the like are the reason Main-Street is vanishing, Not Harry Main.

|

9/7/2017 12:22 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

The undeniable FACT is: Full Chromo is better & will last longer that hi-Tens steel.

Well, if the frame was badly put together or the tubing used was too thing you could argue the point but yeah, I don't think anyone is denying that.

But for a first bike a Hi-ten will in most cases be fine until the rider starts progressing/getting more aggressive.

|

9/7/2017 5:25 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

The undeniable FACT is: Full Chromo is better & will last longer that hi-Tens steel.

Ramorak wrote:

Well, if the frame was badly put together or the tubing used was too thing you could argue the point but yeah, I don't think ...more

As a FIRST bike, sure. hi-tens would probably suffice. But if you can get a decent full-chromo bike at the same price (Mongoose L100), why would you order anything less? Just MHO.

|

9/7/2017 6:08 AM

Harry main rides aftermarket parts. The complete bikes are completely different. He may have done a bit of promotion by doing tricks on one of the completes (I don't know, I pay very little attention to him, mafia, or cheap bikes in general). Yeah, they could probably cope with a fair or 2 by someone that can do them. Try landing sideways a few times whilst trying to learn a trick and you'll soon see how the quality differs.

Obviously everyone has to start somewhere and can't afford or justify dropping money on a custom build. But, there's better bikes for the money than mafia. It's really that simple. Yet, they're marketed as being the best value for money bikes on the market. Which they're not. Claiming they are is misleading and morally wrong in my book.

|

9/7/2017 6:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2017 6:34 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

As a FIRST bike, sure. hi-tens would probably suffice. But if you can get a decent full-chromo bike at the same price ...more

I agree, I would take the 4130 any day.

All I am saying is that plenty of people do ride their bikes without issues (I know several people with Mafias), and from what I have seen they don't perform any differently to other hi-ten completes out there. I just get sick of people slating their product without any rational argument.

For 4130 options they do the justice and the hitmain. Both are sig frames for amazing riders so I very much doubt the frames suck.

But, there's better bikes for the money than mafia. It's really that simple. Yet, they're marketed as being the best value for money bikes on the market. Which they're not. Claiming they are is misleading and morally wrong in my book.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. smile
|