First real problems...

Related:
Create New Tag

4/27/2017 10:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2017 10:12 AM

Hi, this is my first post! Almost a year ago, i bought a bmx from my local bike shop for 150 Euros, it was a custom built bmx, but it wasnt wery good, ive changed the rear sprocket size from 16 to 13, changed the rims, rear hub, chain and some more small things. But a week ago, i pretty badly hit my knee against the bars, after that, i moved my bars so theyre almost almost vertical and when i tried to tighten the bolts of the stem, it started to fell like the threads for the bolts inside the holes of the stem are stripped. The following part may be a little bit strange but: i put some plumbers tape around the bolts to make them a bit larger, to get some grip for them inside the holes, and it worked for a while, until the bars started to slip ( In the stem ), i tried to tighten the bolts and broke one off... Now i shouldnt probably try to get the end of the bolt out, but rather get a new stem. And heres the real question, i have been using a 'quill stem' from the day i bought the bmx, cause it already had it. Should i consider getting the 'new type' of forks and stems or rather search for a new quill stem? And if you tell me to consider getting the 'new type', what should i be aware of when changing to it/them ?

Or, ive seen some adapters that allow you to put 'new stems' on forks that are made for quill stems, maybe i should consider getting one of those ?

|

4/27/2017 10:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2017 10:37 AM

If you have a quill stem and a 13t driver, and bought the whole bike for 150 euros, it sounds like your bike isn't a "legitimate" BMX bike, if you get what I mean. Post a photo of it, words can only go so far here.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/27/2017 10:43 AM

Yeah, I would also like to see a pic of this so called "bike".

|

4/27/2017 12:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2017 12:06 PM

readybmxer wrote:

If you have a quill stem and a 13t driver, and bought the whole bike for 150 euros, it sounds like your bike isn't a ...more

Ill post a pic where it still had the old rim ( on the back ), old sprocket and the fork with its original color ( Now its black with no brakes, cause i took those off ). Im not really into BMX'ing anymore, some fa**ots burned down the only ramps that we had in the city, and now theres none. I know, i can still jump on/from stairs, little hills and things like that, but its not as fun. I only use it for: Going to school, cruising around the city with my friends n things like that now, I dont even have double wall rims for it. In the pic, it is how it came from the shop, i dont think they built it themselves, cause they wouldnt have put glitter on the back rim, lol.

Photo

|

4/27/2017 12:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2017 12:26 PM

You'll need a new frame too. Quill stems and threaded forks are 1", all new stuff is 1 1/8th.

So I'd assume the frame probably has a US bb, so you'd need a new bb too. And possibly cranks (also assuming you've probably got a one piece). So you'd probably also need a new sprocket

Edit: I typed this over an hour ago and forgot to hit send. You'll need a brake too. Better off saving for a decent complete or second hand custom build

|

4/27/2017 12:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2017 12:30 PM

SomeRando wrote:

Ill post a pic where it still had the old rim ( on the back ), old sprocket and the fork with its original color ( Now its ...more

Well, I can tell you this, this was not a custom build, nor is it a BMX capable of upgrading to higher end parts that you're looking for.

You'll need to replace the fork and headset, but your headset is likely unsealed and won't work with many options. Combined with your trashed stem, you'll likely spend more than you bought the bike for. Even still, new forks these days will likely not fit the headtube diameter, if I recall correctly. I could be completely wrong, but you get the idea.

|

@scootereyn

4/27/2017 12:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2017 12:40 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You'll need a new frame too. Quill stems and threaded forks are 1", all new stuff is 1 1/8th.

So I'd assume the frame ...more

I had an idea to build a completely new bmx a while ago, but the problem for me is - money. And yes, cranks are 1-piece.

|

4/27/2017 12:42 PM

readybmxer wrote:

If you have a quill stem and a 13t driver, and bought the whole bike for 150 euros, it sounds like your bike isn't a ...more

SomeRando wrote:

Ill post a pic where it still had the old rim ( on the back ), old sprocket and the fork with its original color ( Now its ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Well, I can tell you this, this was not a custom build, nor is it a BMX capable of upgrading to higher end parts that you're ...more

I think ive already spent more than i bought it for, if i sell it and buy a new one, i could try to sell it for the same, cause theres not alot of bmxes in online auction sites here.

|

4/27/2017 1:09 PM

But like, if im just going to cruise around the city, and do things like that, do i seriously need a completely new bike ? I understand, its going to be newer and with alot more part support, but if there arent ramps and anything, i dont really need a bike for 250-500 euros, it may not look as dope ( Well, tbh, it doesnt look dope now anyways lol ) but ill seriously try to order one of those adapter things.

|

4/27/2017 1:35 PM

SomeRando wrote:

But like, if im just going to cruise around the city, and do things like that, do i seriously need a completely new bike ? I ...more

I mean, if you're using it to its potential and getting around the city just fine, then I see no real problem here.

|

@scootereyn

4/27/2017 1:56 PM

If you're only cruising get a bigger bike

|

It’s all bmx

4/27/2017 2:48 PM

Just buy a quill stem. It's your only option that doesn't include spending a lot of money

|

4/28/2017 4:31 AM

You should try to sell this bike and get a better one.

The bike is OK for cruising arround but i read that you are allready doing 180s so this think will break very soon and it´s dangerous to ride with such a crappy thing as soon as you start to do real tricks.

I think you´ll get arround 100 - 130 € for the bike. You should take the money and buy a used custom bmx with a better frame.

|