First time flying with my bmx

Related:
Create New Tag

4/18/2018 10:32 PM

Hi guys,

Like as I wrote in the title, I am going to fly for the first time with my bike.
I have already bought an odyssey bmx bag.
Main question is:
Should I book like a normal bag or sport bag?
There is a different of price between them. Why?
And.. what happens if they lost my bag?

Thank you!

|

4/18/2018 10:53 PM

Book Normal bag if they ask say it’s a golf bag or they will charge you for it , theyre dicks and golfers get no charge but if they know it’s a bike they fuck you and charge you , worst thing happens they find out it’s a bike and charge you anyways

|

4/19/2018 12:59 AM

And if they will find out it’s not a golf bag, how much will they charge me? I mean.. if is something up than 100£, like a penalty, I won’t risk than..

|

4/19/2018 3:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 3:28 AM

I remember my first time.

Photo
|

4/19/2018 5:10 AM

mattiabmx wrote:

And if they will find out it’s not a golf bag, how much will they charge me? I mean.. if is something up than 100, like a ...more

Ask them, depends on the airline.

Just google it.

I've also known people who fly and say it is parts of a bike-they separate them between a couple bags (assuming you check more than one) and have gotten out of paying for flying a bike.

As to if they lost the bag, not sure. You should again, check with the airline.

I've heard mixed reviews regarding letting air out of tires regarding pressure issues so they don't blow out. Might be worth digging into that too. Maybe direct message Kyle Carlson on here and see if he has tips?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/19/2018 6:24 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Book Normal bag if they ask say it’s a golf bag or they will charge you for it , theyre dicks and golfers get no charge but if ...more

Yeah, the charges for bringing a bike aboard is like $120, it's bullcrap.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

5/6/2018 3:57 AM

Hi guys,

sorry for the delay but I was very busy and I didn't have any time to check before.

First of all, thank you so much for who replied my question.

I have asked few people that flew with the same company I am going to fly aswell ( rynanair) and they said I could check the bike bag like a normal one, since they won't ask you what's inside.

I am just worried about one thing:

- what will happens if they will lose my bag? there is an insurance that can cover not more than 1500£ but I am assuming that if I will say there was a bike inside, they won't pay me back because I had to book like a sport bag?
I am so worried about all theese stuffs..hope to get some feedback from people that had this experience already.

Regards,

Mattia

|

5/6/2018 6:23 PM

If its a single leg flight you're pretty unlikely to get your luggage lost...like, I'd be more worried about getting the bike stolen where you're going. It's two leg flights where they have to move the bags around between planes that they are more likely to f up.

|

5/6/2018 6:28 PM

And these days with everything barcoded and computer tracked, I think bags just don't disappear anymore. Worst case they'll be like "it got left behind we will courier it to your hotel in a couple days".

If you want to ease your mind a bit, put your name address and flight number on a card or plastic tag you can buy at the airport shops and zip tie it to the bag, so there's backup information.

|

5/6/2018 7:04 PM

Ok I was curious about letting air out of the tires so I looked it up.

Air pressure on the ground is about 15psi, so in theory *at most* your tires will have about 15psi more in them at cruising altitude. So if you have cheap 60psi tires groaning at 100psi it's probably a good idea to let a little bit of air out at least to the limit written on the tire.

However, the cargo hold is actually pressurised (someone pointed out they put pets in there!) so in reality it shouldn't change much at all. TIL.

|

5/6/2018 10:18 PM

Thank you so much for your kind help and feedback.
I will book the bag than like as sport bag and I won't do any insurance.
Fingers crossed.
The flight will be direct from Italy to Uk.
About tyres, I will probably take all the air out. won't be a problem since I will bringwith me a minipump.

I think that's all.

Cheers wink

|