First time hearing of these cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

10/10/2019 4:00 PM

My buddy stopped by tonight to show me some new parts hes using in his build. I thought these were cool. The company is Mutant. They have two different length center spline adapters to accept the two crank halfs for different length bb tubes.
What's your take on these?

|

10/10/2019 4:18 PM

Wtf lol

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

10/10/2019 7:23 PM

Someone posted these before. Different, that's for sure.

|

10/11/2019 5:16 AM

They have a few different things, Company is based in Mexico if I recall correctly.

Their peg/hubguard combo is pretty neat.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/11/2019 8:53 AM

Fixes a problem that doesn’t exist and even creates new problems. Cool idea on paper though.

Whatcha gonna do when your splines get stuck together? Hammer away at the back side of the crank arms, risking bending/denting them?

I like having the ability to pop my installation tool in the end of the spindle to hammer the spindle out. Doesn’t cause any damage whatsoever to the cranks😊

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/11/2019 10:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2019 3:56 PM

They've been out for a while, not a big fan of em, I like the ability to have all parts independent when it comes to cranks that way if something breaks i'm not a replacing an arm and a spindle. I think I'll always stick with 3 piece just for that reason. Same thing with traditional seatclamp etc.

|

10/11/2019 3:29 PM

Mutantbikes is a portuguese company, they've always done weird shits, the name suits them right at least.
I would never ride these cranks, they're also the geniuses behind this...

|

10/11/2019 3:49 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Fixes a problem that doesn’t exist and even creates new problems. Cool idea on paper though.

Whatcha gonna do when your splines get stuck together? Hammer away at the back side of the crank arms, risking bending/denting them?

I like having the ability to pop my installation tool in the end of the spindle to hammer the spindle out. Doesn’t cause any damage whatsoever to the cranks😊

I always hammer my thunderbolts off. Steel hammer sometimes, hasnt dented suprisingly.

|

10/11/2019 4:24 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I always hammer my thunderbolts off. Steel hammer sometimes, hasnt dented suprisingly.

The taper makes that pretty easy, kinda like how a draft angle on an injection moulded part makes removal much easier than having a straight wall. I can quite often remove my Thunderbolts by hand; I just don't go nuts on the bolt torque.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/11/2019 8:30 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Thunderbolts also pop right off once they break loose. Nothing even remotely similar to 48 splines, like the ones in the post, getting stuck together.

Hitting the spindle is much more efficient than whacking away at a crank arm with leverage on the spindle.. At least in my experience taking apart rusted 48 spline crank sets on used bikes that I’ve bought.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

10/12/2019 3:56 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Steel hammer EVERY time. No problems.

|

10/12/2019 4:27 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

The taper makes that pretty easy, kinda like how a draft angle on an injection moulded part makes removal much easier than having a straight wall. I can quite often remove my Thunderbolts by hand; I just don't go nuts on the bolt torque.

Damn! Ive never been able to remove mine by hand after a session...I even use anti seize grease!

I usually have to smack the crank arms crazy hard on each side alternating top then bottom, top then bottom, etc.

Mine usually come off within 5-10 really good smacks with a standard sized steel hammer and 4-5 smacks with a deadblow or mini-sledge hammer.

|

10/12/2019 4:38 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Damn! Ive never been able to remove mine by hand after a session...I even use anti seize grease!

I usually have to smack the crank arms crazy hard on each side alternating top then bottom, top then bottom, etc.

Mine usually come off within 5-10 really good smacks with a standard sized steel hammer and 4-5 smacks with a deadblow or mini-sledge hammer.

If I can't open them by hand, I'll just do a few hops and they'll come off easily.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/12/2019 4:53 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I hear ya. Mine need to be absolutely belted with the hammer to get them off, always plenty of grease.

|

10/13/2019 6:03 PM

George French recommends removing the cranks by loosening the bolt 1/4-1/2 turn and doing a bunny hop with the cranks in the opposite position that you normally ride (eg: left foot forward if you ride right foot forward). You'll hear a little "pop" and the cranks should come off afterwards without having to use a hammer.

Always worked for me.

|

10/13/2019 7:05 PM

Da Biker Boy wrote:

George French recommends removing the cranks by loosening the bolt 1/4-1/2 turn and doing a bunny hop with the cranks in the opposite position that you normally ride (eg: left foot forward if you ride right foot forward). You'll hear a little "pop" and the cranks should come off afterwards without having to use a hammer.

Always worked for me.

I was about to say this. Thunderbolts literally fall apart with this method 👍

|

10/14/2019 4:52 AM

Da Biker Boy wrote:

Always worked for me.

Good tip. I’ll try that next time. Thanks.

|

10/14/2019 3:55 PM

I knew immediately from reading the title that it'd be about the Mutant Bikes cranks.

|