Fit indent 24mm cranks.

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2016 5:33 PM

I am wondering a few things about these cranks. For anybody that has them or have ridden them how do they hold up to abuse. How does that bb that comes with it hold up. Can you use a regular bolt drive sprocket with it or does it have to be a spline drive. Will these be stronger than the odyssey thunderbolts. Just wanting to gather as much information before I build up my new bike as I can. I have the thunderbolts right now but am not enjoying my experience. My first pair was amazing and than this pair will not stay tight, the wedge cluster broke when I was riding and they don't seem to sit very nicely against my frame.

|

9/26/2016 6:48 PM

I had a set they where solid as fuck , I'd ride them over odyssey cranks if I had to choose between the 2 , never had a problem with the bottom bracket that came with them

|

9/26/2016 8:35 PM

I've heard nothing bad about them. Fit sells a pair that is only spline-drive compatible (that only comes in black) and the bolt-drive compatible one comes in black, chrome and white. I'm going to be getting a pair of these soon, I'm tired of my crappy stock cranks.

|

9/26/2016 8:36 PM

Oh yea, one more thing. You can only use a 24mm sprocket with these cranks, the fit key sprocket is never a bad choice.

|

9/27/2016 10:01 AM

i'm on my second set of these cranks. i've never had a problem with them. i can't say much else about them since they are doing what cranks are supposed to do. they come in 2.5-piece which can only be used with 24mm spline drive sprockets. they also come in 3-piece which can be used with bolt drive sprockets or spline drive. I own the 2.5-piece. i prefer them because i never have to worry about centering the spindle. also, the 2.5-piece are lighter and spline drive is tits.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

9/27/2016 11:09 AM

I'm going to be that guy that mentions the odyssey warranty....
I had twombolts, 2 pairs actually (rhd and lhd). They felt nice and done their job. My only complaint would be the cost of spares because at some point you'll probably need a new wedge cluster (unless you just use grease to stick the wedges to the axle like I did). Is that an issue with the thunderbolts? I haven't looked into it

|

9/27/2016 11:46 AM

he's got a point. if you buy thunderbolts, those could be the last cranks you have to buy. i cracked my last set of indent 24's from excessive grind damage and they offered to replace the cranks at a discount ($90). I wanted to go down to 165mm so i just bought a new set. If thunderbolts came in LHD socket drive, i definitely would have gotten them instead.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

9/27/2016 7:39 PM

The Thunderbolts coming loose is likely an issue with them being put on with too many or not enough spacers, or missing the internal spacer. The cluster breaking is likely user error though, those things don't just break unless you're taking them on & off a lot, or have them on wrong.

I would keep the Thunderbolts personally. Not only because of the warranty, but because of the interface they use as opposed to 48 spline. If 48 spline cranks are let loose for a little, the splines can wear out over time causing them to shift on the spindle, even when the bolts are tight. The Odyssey cranks will never do that. I have a friend with original Wombolt cranks that are 8 years old and they don't wobble at all.

|

9/27/2016 8:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2016 8:16 PM

^^^ Or you could get the fit indents and never have a problem , if I was still arguing for tried and true I'd be telling you to get primo powerbites

The reason I've never Baught an odyssey crank , they always claim the strongest , if I'm ever looking for a crank I'm looking for a newer better crank

|

9/27/2016 8:41 PM

eskimojay wrote:

^^^ Or you could get the fit indents and never have a problem , if I was still arguing for tried and true I'd be telling you ...more

I'd rather have Odyssey cranks that are basically idiot proof, than a set of 48 spline cranks that could potentially wear out overtime & wobble if left loose for awhile. You leave the Odyssey cranks loose for a little, you might ruin the wedge cluster. $20 fix. You run the Fit (or any 48 spline cranks) cranks loose for awhile, you can ruin the splines and that's anywhere from a $50-$100 fix.

Also.

Thunderbolt. Tested. Proven. from Odyssey BMX on Vimeo.

|

9/27/2016 9:47 PM

Your overthinking it man , come back with a video of you breaking fit indent cranks

|

9/27/2016 10:30 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Your overthinking it man , come back with a video of you breaking fit indent cranks

My argument isn't about whether they'd break or not, it's about the splines potentially wearing out. I've had the 19mm Fit Indent cranks and guess what? The splines wore out. User error or not, it can still happen. I'd rather overthink something & eliminate a potential issue altogether than have to worry about it.

|

9/27/2016 11:13 PM

To wear the splines, you have to run the cranks loose. Checking things on your bike every now and then is common sense really, so it shouldn't really be a problem. I've always had profiles (apart from the 2 pairs of twombolts I've had. And 1 piece cranks back in the day when 3 piece were harder to get), and never had an issue with worn splines. I've also never broken a pair, or seen a pair break first hand. I don't know why, but I prefer the feel of profiles over anything else (maybe they flex a bit more than the twombolts? I don't know). But, if I wanted something else, I'd probably try out the thunderbolts. Because odyssey.
I'm sure both the odyssey and fit cranks will take plenty of abuse. But the warranty would be the selling point for me, just in case

|

9/28/2016 11:44 AM

Yes I am aware of the fact that the odyssey ones have a lifetime warranty. I have also had two pairs. The first ones lasted for 5 years and than they started to loosen quite a bit. I contacted odyssey about this not expecting much since they were 5 years old and were ridden hard for 2 of those years. Surprise Surprise, they sent me a new pair in a shorter crank arm very quickly once I had explained the problem. Odyssey/Sunday have the best customer support ever. But now I have had these new ones for 3 months and they are loosening even quicker than the old ones. I am also aware that it was my fault for riding the cranks loose that probably broke that wedge. I bought a new wedge and now they literally come loose 3 or 4 times per session. I just am not having a great time with them and am looking to get something new for my new bike. Around me in Canada there are no 165mm thunderbolt cranks which I really want. It was between the indents and the shadow killer cranks but I am not a huge fan of Shadow. I also need the 165mm because I am buying the bsd alvx frame and I will hit my feet on my pegs when I ride if I have longer cranks. I love odyssey and ride almost all their parts but for this one I think that I am going to try something new. It is great that you guys have had a good experience with the fit cranks. Also I check my bike everytime I ride so I don't need to worry about them loosening and stripping the splines.

|

10/2/2016 8:58 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

To wear the splines, you have to run the cranks loose. Checking things on your bike every now and then is common sense really, ...more

Fit indents have a lifetime warranty as well, I'm pretty sure most
Cranks do these days , I don't get how people still think odyssey is the only one with that

|

10/2/2016 9:15 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Fit indents have a lifetime warranty as well, I'm pretty sure most
Cranks do these days , I don't get how people still think ...more

False actually, Fit have not had lifetime warranty in years. Regardless of that even if the Thunderbolt cranks didn't have a lifetime warranty I would still be backing them up due to their wedge interface.

Photo

|

10/2/2016 9:30 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

My argument isn't about whether they'd break or not, it's about the splines potentially wearing out. I've had the 19mm Fit ...more

It's eskimojay. He's always going to find some reason or excuse as to why an Odyssey/Sunday part isn't the best, and it will always be bullshit.

|

10/2/2016 1:34 PM

eskimojay wrote:

^^^ Or you could get the fit indents and never have a problem , if I was still arguing for tried and true I'd be telling you ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I'd rather have Odyssey cranks that are basically idiot proof, than a set of 48 spline cranks that could potentially wear out ...more

Dick rider Sunday back at it again

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/2/2016 5:33 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Dick rider Sunday back at it again

I'll ride Sunday & Odysseys dick all day till it cums and that's not even the point.

n/h

|