Fit marv frame build HELP

Related:
Create New Tag

7/31/2013 9:21 AM

I just got back into riding after almost a 4 year absence (bike got stolen when i was 18 and i was more focused on cars and girls) and now that im 22 ive realized how much i miss it!

anways, starting to build this FIT marv 20.5 frame, and the bottom bracket is unsealed (ball bearings) and i want to replace it (bike was left outside for a year before i owned it)

ive forgotten a lot of stuff, im going for a budget build, what would you reccomend to replace the bottom bracket, and how do i know what size spindle i have

bike was a complete, but was rusted to hell so ive been sanding it down to bare metal at the body shop i work at, and im gonna spray it with base clear :D

any help/recommendation to do a budget build, only parts i need are
-Bolt drive sprocket 25-30t (using cranks i already have i know spline is better)
-Bottom bracket
-9t-10t driver rhd
-half link chain

again i didnt realize how much i forgot about bmx parts

if you guys could point me in the right direction that would be righteous

|

7/31/2013 4:45 PM

just for the sake of clarity, was the frame or the bottom bracket left out for a year?
NEVER EVER GET A FRAME TO RAW BY SANDING!!!!!
a better idea is using paint remover, then a wire wheel on a dremel tool to get the rusty spots
i dont think the marv was ever made as a complete for purchase and i dont think it has been out for a year
as for sprocket:http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/458235/Tree_4130_HT_V2_Spline-Drive_Sprocket.html
bottom bracket: all of them are pretty much the same, just get any mid bottom bracket
driver: pretty sure you mean hub, becuase you cant just put a driver on any hub: complete wheel:http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/401076/Odyssey_Q2_Quadrant_FA_Cassette_Wheel.html

half link chain: http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/464093/Cult_Half_Link_Chain.html

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/31/2013 5:40 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

just for the sake of clarity, was the frame or the bottom bracket left out for a year?
a better idea is using paint remover, then a wire wheel on a dremel tool to get the rusty spots
i dont think the marv was ever made as a complete for purchase and i dont think it has been out for a year
as for sprocket:http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/458235/Tree_4130_HT_V2_Spline-Drive_Sprocket.html
bottom bracket: all of them are pretty much the same, just get any mid bottom bracket
driver: pretty sure you mean hub, becuase you cant just put a driver on any hub: complete wheel:http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/401076/Odyssey_Q2_Quadrant_FA_Cassette_Wheel.html

half link chain: http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/464093/Cult_Half_Link_Chain.html

Marv was never made as a complete...post pics because things don't add up. If you got it used someone probably lied to you. I have the Marv frame and for someone to leave it outside for a year, you'd have to be an idiot.

There is a possibility someone built a complete but with such an expensive frame I don't see why they'd leave it outside..

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/1/2013 7:00 AM

I KNOW its a marv because when i was sanding it down at my work (again i work at a body/painting shop) the serial number and FIT205 became visible due to spray-paint covering it up...so i emailed FITBIKES with the serial number and they told me it was a FIT marv...and yes it was rusty, yes it was left outside..i was mistaken about it being a complete, but everything had surface rust on it, so bad i have to sand the whole frame down to bare metal, use primer, sealer, basecoat, then clearcoat

|

8/1/2013 7:03 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

I know what im doing sanding i paint cars/forklifts/motorcycles/do body work at a shop with every product and more at my fingertips, again im using primer, urethane sealer, basecoat, clearcoat for a living thanks for your concern though!

i already sanded my forks down to bare metal, polished it, and simply cleared it with 4 coats of clear to give it that "rat" look i love it

|

8/1/2013 7:06 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

i sand all my frames... and paint remover is ineffective for most factory paintjobs

|

Refs:
Bought from: Tito24, tinybikerider33 (x2), RideBikesYoo, hookjrclc, MrHavoc1988, ScramHype, BigOleMonster
Sold to: Jared42069 (x2), Sancheezz, blueep3piece, Marco_Gonzalez, Riverside Rider, HardBMX_Tim
Traded: tomdon
Hooked me up: zachhendrix, oscar7588

Personal Email: snmloverbmx@hotmail.com
n-dür product info/ order email: ndur_bmx@outlook.com
n-dür on facebook

8/1/2013 7:08 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Tbooks wrote:

I know what im doing sanding i paint cars/forklifts/motorcycles/do body work at a shop with every product and more at my fingertips, again im using primer, urethane sealer, basecoat, clearcoat for a living thanks for your concern though!

i already sanded my forks down to bare metal, polished it, and simply cleared it with 4 coats of clear to give it that "rat" look i love it

Also the bottom bracket was in there was unsealed BB :\ i have a feeling i cannot throw a sealed bottom bracket it there? when i opened it up all the ball bearings fell out.

As for the spline dr sprocket, the cranks i have now were from a bolt driven sprocket, so will i run into a problem there??

And as for the hub/driver situation, i think im just going to splurge buy a whole new rear wheel/hub/driver

Thanks for your input

|

8/1/2013 7:08 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Tbooks wrote:

if you like polished metal check out my bike check...

|

Refs:
Bought from: Tito24, tinybikerider33 (x2), RideBikesYoo, hookjrclc, MrHavoc1988, ScramHype, BigOleMonster
Sold to: Jared42069 (x2), Sancheezz, blueep3piece, Marco_Gonzalez, Riverside Rider, HardBMX_Tim

n-dür on facebook

8/1/2013 7:11 AM

Tbooks wrote:

Also the bottom bracket was in there was unsealed BB :\ i have a feeling i cannot throw a sealed bottom bracket it there? when i opened it up all the ball bearings fell out.

As for the spline dr sprocket, the cranks i have now were from a bolt driven sprocket, so will i run into a problem there??

And as for the hub/driver situation, i think im just going to splurge buy a whole new rear wheel/hub/driver

Thanks for your input

if its really a marv it will be a mid bb. knock the cups out and press some sealed bearing in

|

Refs:

n-dür on facebook

8/1/2013 7:15 AM

Tbooks wrote:

Tbooks wrote:

Thanks for your input

SnM An1mal wrote:

if its really a marv it will be a mid bb. knock the cups out and press some sealed bearing in

Ill get a pic up shortly of the serial number and bike in general...it was in rough condition, bottom bracket wasn't all dried out though...

when i got the bike the seat was up like 2 feet, and it was being ridden by someone who didnt bmx/know what they had

it had a WTP seat and Odyssey Grips and a stolen 14mm hollow axle front wheel, i cannot tell what forks or bars, and it had like a 40T sprocket on it ;(

|

8/1/2013 7:20 AM

Tbooks wrote:

Tbooks wrote:

Thanks for your input

SnM An1mal wrote:

So I'll get a Mid BB, and for the sprocket/cranks, my cranks are bolt drive 3 piece, If i want a spline drive sprocket will i need to get new cranks? im okay with having a 28t bolt drive sprocket

|

8/1/2013 7:32 AM

Tbooks wrote:

Thanks for your input

SnM An1mal wrote:

Tbooks wrote:

So I'll get a Mid BB, and for the sprocket/cranks, my cranks are bolt drive 3 piece, If i want a spline drive sprocket will i need to get new cranks? im okay with having a 28t bolt drive sprocket

with switching to a sealed bb youll need a new spindle too. i would recommend new cranks though. ezra geists are a good deal

|

Refs:

n-dür on facebook

8/1/2013 7:45 AM

Can you even get unsealed mid bb? Lots about this free doesn't add up, like I seriously doubt you could run a 40t sprocket with any sort of decent chainline.

Get some pics up man

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

8/1/2013 7:49 AM

Gump wrote:

Can you even get unsealed mid bb? Lots about this free doesn't add up, like I seriously doubt you could run a 40t sprocket with any sort of decent chainline.

Get some pics up man

yeah you can get unsealed mid bb

|

Refs:

n-dür on facebook

8/1/2013 8:12 AM

I'm going to link to some pics in just a minute

|

8/1/2013 8:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2013 8:16 AM

Bike the day my friePhoto

bike the day my friend sold it to me

|

8/1/2013 8:17 AM

Photo
|

8/1/2013 8:17 AM

Photo

Rust hard to see but whole bike was like this
|

8/1/2013 8:18 AM

That's not a fit marv for sure.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

Photo
|

Photo
|

8/1/2013 8:49 AM

Im not arguing it is a marv but a rep from fit told me the serial number comes up as a marv..I can screenshot the email if you dont believe me..im just going off what the fit rep told me

|

8/1/2013 9:03 AM

Photo
|

Photo
|

Just trying to figure out what kind of frame this is, this is beginning to be more of a hassle than i anticipated

|

8/1/2013 9:06 AM

Tbooks wrote:

Im not arguing it is a marv but a rep from fit told me the serial number comes up as a marv..I can screenshot the email if you dont believe me..im just going off what the fit rep told me

I know but I'm just saying that it is nowhere close to a marv. This is a fit marv. I know you're just going off what you were told, maybe send them the pictures and they can tell you, because I do think that's a fit just an old one.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/1/2013 9:23 AM

Tbooks wrote:

Four wrote:

I know but I'm just saying that it is nowhere close to a marv. This is a fit marv. I know you're just going off what you were told, maybe send them the pictures and they can tell you, because I do think that's a fit just an old one.

no doubt, i emailed them again and asked if serial numbers ever cross referenced older bikes, either way i would still like to build this bike...i just want to know what i have, im going for a budget build, I'm still a pretty good rider, but i dont need top of the line everything, i just need enough to get by

|

8/1/2013 1:05 PM

Its definitely not a marv. I have a Marv frame, you would have a serial number on one side of the bb and the Marv 2 1 3 or whatever the top tube size is.

Do this, get a ruler and measure the size of the bb, this frame looks old...it could have a american size bb, not a mid.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/1/2013 1:45 PM

not a marv

|

Refs:

n-dür on facebook

8/1/2013 1:47 PM

I have a Marv frame & that is 100% NOT a Marv Frame. It may well be a Fit but its an OLD Fit NOT a Marv!

|