Worst Tricks

Related:
Create New Tag

12/21/2017 5:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2017 12:18 AM

Hey people
We all know BMX is the best ever, and we all love it, but just like every aspect in life, there are good and bad things about it.
Everybody has their favorite trick, but what about the ones you think are uncool, stupid or even hate?
Here's my list with the 3 worst, most stupid tricks in BMX.
(in no particular order, they're all bad)

* pedal/crank arm grind, slide, stall, whatever;
...I agree with Rooftop, these are ALL glorified footplants. If you have a sprocket with a bash guard, USE IT. Don't buy a bashguard only to protect your chain from braking on PEG grinds...

* peg bonk

* crank flip - last time I checked we ride bikes, not skateboards...

oh, and i just saw a video of a famous pro, and he threw his bike multiple times after missing a trick. Do people still do that? That's is sooooo moronic. Every time I see someone doing that, I hope something big or expensive on their bike breaks...

|

12/21/2017 5:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 5:45 PM

a crank flip is pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever heard/seen on a BMX.... dont get it , i can spin my cranks whenever... The only time I throw my bike is when im bailing and im gunna hit it or its gunna hit me ....

|

12/21/2017 6:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 6:02 PM

I dont like how tailwhips look.

|

12/21/2017 6:19 PM

"* crank flip - last time I checked we ride bikes, not skateboards..." so by that logic manuals, nose manuals, grinds, and I'm sure other things should also fall into that category too right? I'm also biased cause I love crankflips, but hey your opinion.

-Pull up bars. Jesus fucking christ that trend needs to get AIDs and die. One of the things I hate the most is when someone does an awesome trick, then a random pull up bar afterwards. It makes the whole clip look like shit, I'm lookin at you, Ethan Corriere. Pull up bars were a trick I thought were cool 2 months into riding when I thought that was an actual barspin but they're fucking gay.

-Almost any free coaster "out" trick nowadays. Some people can pull a free coaster off and ride them excellently, but some of them just look like they struggle with a half cab out and it looks ugly. Same with people who do feeble hard 90s, to shitty ugly coaster fakie the rest of the 90 out. That shouldn't count at all, it's like doing a bitch hop for the rest of the 90 only hoping it's not as noticeable.

-"Suicide no handers", REAL suicide no handers are awesome. but this new age style of just taking your hands off and out to the side is garbage. Lookin at you, Stevie
Photo

Aaron Ross demonstrates a proper one Photo

-180 backwards ice chink to 180 out. Now, while I think the concept is cool and I'm sure difficult (I've tried 180 backwards ice grinds but couldn't hold them) I just think they look stupid. idk something about them looks dumb, that or the guy I saw doing them in person just made them look stupid. not sure haha

-tooth hanger to crank arm grind... I feel like that's the equivalent to doing a smith grind to double peg grind... It just looks stupid, like you went for a hanger grind and didn't hold it long enough so you fell onto your crank arm. Cause that's literally what I did one time on a flat rail, went to see how slow I could do a hanger grind and fell right into a crank arm grin

|

12/21/2017 6:40 PM

Barspins.. waaaaaaay overdone
180 to half cab to 360 to 180 half cab 540 type nonsense. It just looks weird to me
Cranklfips
Nose manuals because I'm salty as fuck for not being able to do them

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

12/21/2017 10:02 PM

To be honest, this seems like a thread that's going to turn into either "I've been trying this trick for 10 years but I really hate how overdone they are and how they look because I haven't landed it yet" or "I'm not very good and have always wanted to do this trick but I tell everyone it's shit because I'll never be able to do it".

Just ride your damn bikes, have fun and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/21/2017 10:44 PM

Cabs when they're not cabs. A cab is a fakie 360, not a fakie 180, that's a half cab. And your tyres need to leave the ground. Pivoting on your back wheel isn't a cab.

I agree with crank flips. I just think they're a bit poo.

Skatepark circus tricks, because they all look robotic, with no style.

Tailwhips and barspins, I don't hate either, but they seem to be the only tricks kids want to learn. Then when they can do them they think they're automatically good enough to get sponsored.

Flairs, a bit like tailwhips and barspins, only they're the ugliest trick ever.

But yeah, everyone should really just ride their bike and do what they want.

|

12/21/2017 11:38 PM

Came here to say crank flips and expected to be the odd one out given how often I see people do them. Glad to see I'm not the only one

|

12/22/2017 12:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2017 1:33 AM

Crankflips have always been my least liked trick, they look awful.

Not sure how there is hate for tailwhips, they look incredible.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

12/22/2017 12:45 AM

Damn, no love for the crankflips

#cut4crankflips #yesallcrankflips #crankflips2020 #hashtagsdontworkonvitalsothisispointless

|

12/22/2017 3:50 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Damn, no love for the crankflips

#cut4crankflips #yesallcrankflips #crankflips2020 #hashtagsdontworkonvitalsothisispointless

#crankflipsformeth #dontdodrugskids #whyarewehashtagging silly

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/22/2017 7:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2017 9:20 AM

I think crankflips look cool, all tricks are cool.

I dont like the tricks where your hat has to fall off every attempt... lol

|

12/22/2017 7:16 AM

180 downwhips. It looks like half a 180 and half a tailwhip.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/22/2017 7:54 AM

I don't really care for seeing 600 tricks in one line. Sounds weird, but when a dude does a bar to manny to grind to bar to manny to 180 to half cab (you're welcome grumpy steve) bar it looks worse to me than seeing a dude huck a 360 triple whip.

Also nose bonk to grinds on the SAME OBSTACLE. If you hop over something to it, that's different. Hop over a rail nose bonk to a different rail is fine. Hop onto a ledge nose bonk to grind on the same ledge is stupid.

I also do not care to see an edit where 95% of it is foot tall ledges and barspins.

Kids saying "this street rider has flow". No. He does not. You cannot flow when you ride 2 foot tall ledges with 30 feet of nothing. Same with style. Most street dudes these days are hucking a bajillion little tricks into a line OR doing little tricks on bigger obstacles, and it is just as robotic to me as how some people see the Park dudes hucking 64 whips in 5 minutes.

J-hop. It's a hop, that's it.

G turns. A g turn is a 180 to backwards nosewheelie to essentially a half cab out. There is room for turning a little on the front wheel for these. They are not a NOSE PIVOT to fakie to pivot out.

Not a trick, but every kid thinking brakes are stupid. They are wrong. Brakes are and can be a great time.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/22/2017 9:44 AM

I agree with flairs, and tailwhips...just the fact that they seem to be the ONLY thing people want to see, try, or work up to. I always have people att he park asking why i spend sooo much time on fakies, or getting air. "Dude, that stuff is easy/boring. You should do flares". I never try to explain that I am trying to master the technique and style, (cause they won't get that) and that I am not ready to move on. My fakies are still iffy as far as technique goes, and my air is still wiiiimmmmpy. ...and it is funny that the kids usually asking for me to do flares can barely hop, manual, and even get out of or into a pipe or bowl. My usual response is "If you worried as much about your own flares as you did mine, you would be pretty good"

Also agree with grumpysteve about brake-hate...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/22/2017 10:03 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

To be honest, this seems like a thread that's going to turn into either "I've been trying this trick for 10 years but I really hate how overdone they are and how they look because I haven't landed it yet" or "I'm not very good and have always wanted to do this trick but I tell everyone it's shit because I'll never be able to do it".

Just ride your damn bikes, have fun and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing...

I agree with this statement.
I hated barspins because they took me forever to get consistently. But for the last 6 years they have been my favorite because I can throw them into anything, they are super versatile.
I used to not like the look of crank flips, but once I started doing them, they too became a fun one to do in and out of grinds, and half cabs etc.
So don't hate something because you can't do it.

I don't really have tricks I hate, there are some I can do but choose not to, like flips, grizz air's, etc. just because I don't find them very fun for me. But if I see you throwing them down, it doesn't bother me.
Have fun on your two-wheelers guys.

|

12/22/2017 1:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2017 1:07 PM

Tuck no hander, ugliest trick in the game, especially when quickly done before or after another trick in the same jump.

Every other trick is cool.

|

12/22/2017 1:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2017 1:53 PM

I think the trend has pretty much died, but I was bummed on ETs for a while. Yeah, they're fun - but when top dudes were doing them in place of barspins / tailwhips / etc in and out of combos, it just seemed a bit lazy to me.

|

12/22/2017 2:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2017 2:01 PM

I’m bored of watching bar whip combos and turtle speed foot tall ledge combos

|

12/22/2017 2:04 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

I think the trend has pretty much died, but I was bummed on ETs for a while. Yeah, they're fun - but when top dudes were doing them in place of barspins / tailwhips / etc in and out of combos, it just seemed a bit lazy to me.

I couldn’t agree more. ETs are fun but in place of a whip or something or randomly mid-line, kinda lame. 360 ETs feel cool though, there was a guy that used to ride here who did ET tricks and was the reason I learned them cause he’d do them all the time and thought they were the shit… One time during a game of bike he bitched at my friend for setting a table top over a hip saying “those are so gay!” but when it was his turn to set he did ET to smith like that was any better? Haha

|

12/22/2017 2:14 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I couldn’t agree more. ETs are fun but in place of a whip or something or randomly mid-line, kinda lame. 360 ETs feel cool though, there was a guy that used to ride here who did ET tricks and was the reason I learned them cause he’d do them all the time and thought they were the shit… One time during a game of bike he bitched at my friend for setting a table top over a hip saying “those are so gay!” but when it was his turn to set he did ET to smith like that was any better? Haha

Your friends got bad taste if he thinks a table over a hip is gay , those are classic

|

12/22/2017 2:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 6:31 AM

Can't hate ETs when they're done right (ie Kris Fox moto style)

|

Maintenance guy at The Railyard Bike Park in Rogers, Arkansas

facebook.com/TheRailyardAR/
Insta @the_railyard

facebook.com/tedhuie
Insta @ted_danger

12/22/2017 5:44 PM

For the person who made the: Last time I checked - it’s not a skateboard comment..........Ever wonder where the names for tricks like: manual, full/ half cab, fakie came from? And yes- it’s cringe knowing how we will always have to carry the burden of knowing the roots of bmx origined at a place in time when it was so over shadowed by skateboarding that the earliest bmxers felt it was best to name their tricks after skateboard tricks. ermm

Oh yeah- the trick I think is dumb is called “the lawnmower” . You ever seen that one?

|

12/22/2017 7:15 PM

T-Dawgg wrote:

For the person who made the: Last time I checked - it’s not a skateboard comment..........Ever wonder where the names for tricks like: manual, full/ half cab, fakie came from? And yes- it’s cringe knowing how we will always have to carry the burden of knowing the roots of bmx origined at a place in time when it was so over shadowed by skateboarding that the earliest bmxers felt it was best to name their tricks after skateboard tricks. ermm

Oh yeah- the trick I think is dumb is called “the lawnmower” . You ever seen that one?

BMX is and has been overshadowed by Dirtbikes "Motorcycles", not Skateboards.

Worst tricks IMO are tricks that have never been a trick in the first place, Like Jhops and Broncos.

|

12/22/2017 8:08 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Your friends got bad taste if he thinks a table over a hip is gay , those are classic

he's no friend of mine haha he's a cocky douche. think Ben Lorson but not all "hurr watch my edit!"

I agree though, a good table over a hip is always nice to see/do

|

12/22/2017 8:25 PM

Crankflips are good when the gap/air is already sufficiently rad but are literally the worst thing ever when done barely off the ground landing front wheel first on level ground.

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

12/23/2017 1:36 AM

Crankflips are the worst. First time I saw someone do one I couldn't believe it was a thing.

|

12/23/2017 11:13 AM

I love me some crankflips. They’re fun and look cool to me (and I’m primarily a flow/trails rider).

I think an invert can look really bad when the rider just lets his feet blow off the bike completely and stick out all cross legged. Need more people to do them like Doyle and Edgar.

Also street creepers. Aka jibbers. Riding so slow and low. Just do flatland if you want to ride that slow and low. Looks cooler anyways.

|

12/23/2017 12:57 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

"* crank flip - last time I checked we ride bikes, not skateboards..." so by that logic manuals, nose manuals, grinds, and I'm sure other things should also fall into that category too right? I'm also biased cause I love crankflips, but hey your opinion.

-Pull up bars. Jesus fucking christ that trend needs to get AIDs and die. One of the things I hate the most is when someone does an awesome trick, then a random pull up bar afterwards. It makes the whole clip look like shit, I'm lookin at you, Ethan Corriere. Pull up bars were a trick I thought were cool 2 months into riding when I thought that was an actual barspin but they're fucking gay.

-Almost any free coaster "out" trick nowadays. Some people can pull a free coaster off and ride them excellently, but some of them just look like they struggle with a half cab out and it looks ugly. Same with people who do feeble hard 90s, to shitty ugly coaster fakie the rest of the 90 out. That shouldn't count at all, it's like doing a bitch hop for the rest of the 90 only hoping it's not as noticeable.

-"Suicide no handers", REAL suicide no handers are awesome. but this new age style of just taking your hands off and out to the side is garbage. Lookin at you, Stevie
Photo

Aaron Ross demonstrates a proper one Photo

-180 backwards ice chink to 180 out. Now, while I think the concept is cool and I'm sure difficult (I've tried 180 backwards ice grinds but couldn't hold them) I just think they look stupid. idk something about them looks dumb, that or the guy I saw doing them in person just made them look stupid. not sure haha

-tooth hanger to crank arm grind... I feel like that's the equivalent to doing a smith grind to double peg grind... It just looks stupid, like you went for a hanger grind and didn't hold it long enough so you fell onto your crank arm. Cause that's literally what I did one time on a flat rail, went to see how slow I could do a hanger grind and fell right into a crank arm grin

The last part of this comment made me lol.
"Its stupid because one time I did one on a flat rail"

Anything on a flat rail is stupid grin I think this tricks insane when done super fast or down a set. Especially considering its a fakie crank arm grind if you're not fuck-footed. But to each their own.

This threads getting some advertisementgrin grin
Photo

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/23/2017 2:46 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The last part of this comment made me lol.
"Its stupid because one time I did one on a flat rail"

Anything on a flat rail is stupid grin I think this tricks insane when done super fast or down a set. Especially considering its a fakie crank arm grind if you're not fuck-footed. But to each their own.

This threads getting some advertisementgrin grin
Photo

You’re incorrectly paraphrasing. I’m not saying it’s dumb just cause I did it on a flat rail, I’m saying it’s dumb because I did it on a flat rail and realized how stupid it is/looks. Find a rail and try to hanger it but don’t keep your ass end up and I can almost guarantee you’ll fall right into a crank arm grind. It just looks like they fucked up the hanger and rolled with it.

Watch this and you’ll see what I mean. I’m not at all saying it’s easy on big rails, because to reiterate, it looks stupid

https://instagram.com/p/Bc_Y_-DjtvZ/

|