Fixing a hole...

Related:
Create New Tag

11/30/2014 7:08 PM

Long story short, i was rushed when drilling my frame and completely fucked up. Now im left with this.

Photo

My stepdad has a MIG welder but hes afraid of blowing the hole even bigger. He said bondo it but i dont believe that will unweaken the area.

What are some safer options to shut this hole and return atleast most of the original strength to this area?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/30/2014 7:25 PM

dude it kind of looks like there is a crack leading from the hole to the weld...
brazing it might be an option, tig weld might work as well but Idk

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/30/2014 7:30 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

dude it kind of looks like there is a crack leading from the hole to the weld...
brazing it might be an option, tig weld might ...more

Dont know what that is but its not a crack lol. I checked for a crack as i was going to.take this pic. Yeah my stepdad recommended TIG welding it but we dont know anyone with a TIG welder.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

11/30/2014 7:31 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Dont know what that is but its not a crack lol. I checked for a crack as i was going to.take this pic. Yeah my stepdad ...more

Its chipped paint from the drillbit slipping at the top, and then the edge of the weld at the bottom. Really does look like a crack though, good eye.

|

11/30/2014 7:33 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Dont know what that is but its not a crack lol. I checked for a crack as i was going to.take this pic. Yeah my stepdad ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Its chipped paint from the drillbit slipping at the top, and then the edge of the weld at the bottom. Really does look like a ...more

yeah i just realized that it looks like the edge of the weld

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/30/2014 8:03 PM

Sticker bomb your headtube.

Don't weld it unless you heat treat the whole frame after.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

11/30/2014 8:07 PM

That weld will fail sooner rather than later. No real way to fix it. Applying any more heat will just weaken it further. Unfortunately I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

|

11/30/2014 8:14 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

That weld will fail sooner rather than later. No real way to fix it. Applying any more heat will just weaken it further. ...more

Couldn't i splash some water on it immediately after welding it to somewhat anneal the area? I mean surely having a slightly different tempered area would be better than a hole a mm away from a weld.

|

11/30/2014 8:21 PM

Sorry if my terms are incorrect. Its been a few years since ive done anything involving heat treating. I believe if i splash water on it, it will be more brittle. But if i leave it next to a heater while it cools, it should only end up a tad more brittle than normal, and since it will only be on maybe a quarter inch of the weld, it will hopefully hold just fine.

Correct?

|

11/30/2014 8:25 PM

I doubt it even matters

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

11/30/2014 9:24 PM

Dumbass lol

Your frame is fucked

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/30/2014 9:28 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Dumbass lol

Your frame is fucked

Oh well, stuff happens. Hopefully i can manage to fix it. If not, then ill just have to order another one. Not a big deal, can't do much about it now.

|

11/30/2014 10:14 PM

Deburr it and forget it, I doubt that hole will bother anything with its size.

Most I would do is, tape the inside then try jb weld on it, then a fingernail polish around the same color as the bike to touch it up.

|

11/30/2014 10:25 PM

i would use some bondo on it, and sell it on ebay and buy a frame with built in gyro holes

|

12/1/2014 8:36 AM

You really should just not worry at the moment. It SHOULD be okay.

Measure twice drill once... lol

I mean if it really causes a ton of trouble, i'd be surprised. The headtube is in fact heat treated on that frame, plus that small of a hole won't cause flex and unless you damaged part of the weld i would guess that it would be just fine.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/1/2014 8:46 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

i would use some bondo on it, and sell it on ebay and buy a frame with built in gyro holes

Or ride how is, if it cracks then you can order
|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

12/1/2014 8:55 AM

meh. I wouldn't worry about it. just fill it in and ride it. don't bother welding it, its not worth it...

I cant see it doing too much to it. just don't worry about it. and next time get one where youre not going to need to tap holes lol

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/1/2014 10:17 AM

You know some frame have GIANT cutouts on the headtube right? I really doubt it matters.m

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/1/2014 10:29 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

You know some frame have GIANT cutouts on the headtube right? I really doubt it matters.m

But none of them are practically on the weld... that's what you guys are overlooking. That's why I personally wouldn't feel very safe riding this frame.

|

12/1/2014 11:14 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

But none of them are practically on the weld... that's what you guys are overlooking. That's why I personally wouldn't feel ...more

Like you even ride enough to break it.

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/1/2014 11:17 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

But none of them are practically on the weld... that's what you guys are overlooking. That's why I personally wouldn't feel ...more

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

BOOM.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

12/1/2014 11:21 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

EddiMundo wrote:

BOOM.

Daayum.

But yeah. Hole (weakpoint) literally right next to weld (weakpoint) scares me.

|

12/1/2014 12:39 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I'm glad you keep track of my life, it makes me feel safe from the Illuminati.

|

12/1/2014 12:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2014 12:41 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Daayum.

But yeah. Hole (weakpoint) literally right next to weld (weakpoint) scares me.

Yeah. Even though I haven't ridden a bike in 6 months I wouldn't feel safe riding it. But it will hold until you can find a replacement.

Edit: inb4 people take the second sentence seriously

|

12/1/2014 2:51 PM

Just ride it till it cracks, it will be good for a while, just keep an eye on it.

|

My FBM bike check

12/1/2014 3:06 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

What makes you think something like a 1/8th hole close to the weld is making it weaker/unsafe?

|

12/1/2014 3:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2014 3:08 PM

Wayne S wrote:

What makes you think something like a 1/8th hole close to the weld is making it weaker/unsafe?

It's a hole in the material... a weak spot... right next to a weld... a weak spot... frames are already weak in that area, a hole there just makes it worse. I don't see it immediately snapping if he watches for cracks though.

Edit: The weakest spot of frames is right by the welds. That's where almost every frame fails.

|

12/1/2014 3:39 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

He's right, you are fine. I've ridden a frame for a couple weeks that was cracked on the bottom part of the dt\ht weld to the point you could hear it creaking with every pedal.

But how much do you weigh and how many stairs do you 180/360 regularly?

|

12/1/2014 3:45 PM

I used to run a bike with a snapped chainstay and i'm still alive

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/1/2014 3:46 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

I used to run a bike with a snapped chainstay and i'm still alive

I rode a bike with square wheels down the Eiffel Tower while injecting heroine and smoking meth and I'm still alive. #yolo

|