Fixing a loose rear hub

Related:
Create New Tag

3/24/2009 11:49 PM

so my rear hub came loose a couple weeks ago and the hweel was a bit wobbly, so i tighten it and it runs fine for a few mins and then its just wobbly as crap again, any recommendations? or maybe anyone know whats the problem?

|

I follow my own style, because all the others suck...

3/25/2009 1:03 AM

first. make sure all the bearings are there.
then check the cone and inside of hub for any damage( nicks/bumps or lines/grooves )
then if none proceed with following. re-lube and place bearings back in spot. and
then make sure the axle is centered properly, then set and lock down the drive side cone and nut, then use non drive side to make adjustments. hub adjustments are hard if uve never done them. ive been doing them for 10+ years. sometimes the adjustments just dont want to stay... its 3am here and havent slept in a while. but i think i covered it all. good luck.

if any damage. go and replace those parts. worn parts can cause hubs to come loose. and further wreck the wheel

|

got bike?

refs: showtime402, effigy, dallas6689, freddydapice

3/25/2009 6:06 AM

mnsketch wrote:

first. make sure all the bearings are there.
then check the cone and inside of hub for any damage( nicks/bumps or lines/grooves )
then if none proceed with following. re-lube and place bearings back in spot. and
then make sure the axle is centered properly, then set and lock down the drive side cone and nut, then use non drive side to make adjustments. hub adjustments are hard if uve never done them. ive been doing them for 10+ years. sometimes the adjustments just dont want to stay... its 3am here and havent slept in a while. but i think i covered it all. good luck.

if any damage. go and replace those parts. worn parts can cause hubs to come loose. and further wreck the wheel

^^ assuming it's got looseball bearings.

If you have sealed cartridge bearings, make sure they aren't blown out(damaged) and that your axle is not broken or cracked. Also, check your spoke tension, a lot of people think their hub is messed up, but it's really just loose spokes.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/25/2009 6:44 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

^^ assuming it's got looseball bearings.

If you have sealed cartridge bearings, make sure they aren't blown out(damaged) and that your axle is not broken or cracked. Also, check your spoke tension, a lot of people think their hub is messed up, but it's really just loose spokes.

yea thats what happened to me with my spokes my spokes just came loose and i spent 3 hours with my hub apart wigglin every part trying to find the loose one then i was checking out the wheel it self and found the spokes were supper loose.

also try tightening the two cone nuts on the inside of the drop outs not the outside bolts. there needs to be pressure on the berrings so that the wheel doesnt just slide around on the axle

|

3/25/2009 7:56 AM

Believe in jesus an it wouldn't have happened

|

6/2/2010 4:43 PM

it might be that you aren't tightening the axle hard enough on the frame. Then it stays in position because it's tight that's what I did.

|

6/2/2010 4:44 PM

41odyssey/sunday wrote:

it might be that you aren't tightening the axle hard enough on the frame. Then it stays in position because it's tight that's what I did.

really...?

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207

First MOTM 12/2010

6/2/2010 5:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2010 5:12 PM

41odyssey/sunday wrote:

I think he's got it figured out by now....

|

6/2/2010 5:12 PM

Dan.R-LFC wrote:

Believe in jesus an it wouldn't have happened

You're silly.

|