Flat tire problems

Related:
Create New Tag

12/15/2012 4:11 PM

I was riding today and got a flat. I always get flats and have to buy new tubes. Does the thickness of a tire prevent punctures?

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

12/15/2012 4:44 PM

yeah, try getting a new tire or putting more rim strips on, or heavy duty tube

|

xBMXx.

12/15/2012 4:47 PM

Might have something stuck in your tire or something sharp on your rim.You have a strip right?

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

12/15/2012 4:52 PM

If you have single wall rims, For some reason flats are very common, uncommon with double walls, because the nipples pinch the tube all the time and cut outs are usually visible, try getting double wall rims with thick rim strip if that's the case...

Maybe there is something in the tire still stabbing the tube?

I usually put a thick rubber strip from my old old old tubes i got in 2005 around the tire to prevent anything poking in (double layering) it only puts on like 1 ounce or half an ounce of more weight, i rather more weight than popped tubes every day...

Cause i have shitty single wall rims, i usually get thick tape and tape the exposed 'maybe' sharp looking parts of the rim and put an extra rim strip down...

Or if you don't have a rubber strip you can just cut your old tube down the inward center of the tube and wrap it around your new tube, causing a double layer in the tire to prevent anything 'RE'piercing the tube

|

12/16/2012 8:11 AM

Yes, get new tubes the thorn proof ones for starters and make sure you have rim tape inside your rim which stops the tube getting punctured by the spoke nipples and then cut your old tube (before the valve and after the valve, cutting it off and then put it inside your tire and then put the tube in which provides another layer of protection.

|

12/16/2012 1:35 PM

Put shit tons of tape on the rim strip that should prevent te spokes to puncture the tube

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

12/17/2012 7:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2012 7:13 PM

bloghogs wrote:

Might have something stuck in your tire or something sharp on your rim.You have a strip right?

This, although the rim strip sometimes doesn't help.

I had a similar problem and when I actually looked into it, what had happened was a piece of metal shaving from the spoke hole drilling had gotten up in the tire. I noticed this because I saw that two tubes had gotten holes in exactly the same spot. At first I thought it might be that the rim strip was moving and the spokes were puncturing the tube but the hole was on the tire side of the tube and not the rim side. I got the sliver of metal out of the tire and it stopped happening. This was from the rims on the stock Mission wheels (Alienation Black Sheep) that came on my Kink. Nicer rims have spoke holes with much cleaner edges so this probably only happens on crappier wheels. My new Eastern Venus wheels have real nice smooth edges to the spoke holes with no loose shavings hanging off.

|

12/17/2012 7:09 PM

If it is the tire, get kink lyra's. i rode for a good five minutes at Louisville skatepark (all concrete) and carved bowls with a shard of glass in the tire. never got a flat. I didn't think anything of it at first since I thought it was a pebble in the tread.

|

12/20/2012 4:07 PM

i have a single wall, and im running danscomps tubes with a odyssey rim strip. Been good for a long time. i used to get my tubes put on by my lbs. fuck that now. i got a flat like every 2 days when i brought it to them, now i do it myself and its great.

|

Dream - Trans red BTM 8============================================>

12/20/2012 7:50 PM

kids still don't know tubeception? Place a tube inside another tube that has been split down the inside diameter of the tube, helps prevent puncture flats...wrap about 3 layers of duct tape around the inside of your rims where a rim strip would go, helps prevent sharp nipples from puncturing a tube. Fill your tire up a little bit more than you're used to, helps prevent pinch flats.

|

12/21/2012 1:42 AM

DylanLow wrote:

How would more rim strips help?

|

Latest edit (Check it out) | Anything With Two Wheels Goes!!
"Fuck it and Huck it" -Tomdon

[LINK TO IMAGE]

12/22/2012 6:45 PM

DylanLow wrote:

Sharpy wrote:

you stupid bro?

|

12/23/2012 12:06 AM

-Learn to patch your tubes, most of my tubes typically have 4 patches, you will learn how to do them good.
-Look at where & how you punctured:
a snake bite = too low of a tire pressure -> inflate it more
hole on tope = spoke poke -> re-enforce the rim strip
hole on bottom = ran over something sharp -> get thicker tubes or thicker tire or just take your chances

Either way I would recommend using chalk in your tire, it helps the tube not stick and I think it helps with casing/snake bites or regular pokes....
Good luck, if you are from san francisco message me so we can ride

|

jb07, Zachary_, Showtime402, bobPa, dee hos, joe-rod56, "idk i'm a loser", Gsport23, JoeGreen, Trenty Doo, fly for life,laloest

12/23/2012 4:56 AM

I use heavy duty tubes which cost around $15 each and have a thick rim strip, the tubes have lasted me for about 6 months and i usually ride around places with shattered glass.

|

12/26/2012 8:21 PM

i have a shadow rim strips with tire liner and schwin tubes and a flybikes campilla tire which has deep tread on it and havent had flats in about 6 months

|

12/26/2012 8:37 PM

Yea sometimes its looks spokes so pluck them and check also double the strips on both of your rims it prevents flats and buy danscomp tubes called "Ultra Lite"

|

Ride Or Die
PrimoPro Hub All Day
Tan Walls above all

12/26/2012 8:39 PM

DylanLow wrote:

Sharpy wrote:

Big_ol_schlong wrote:

you stupid bro?

lol.

|

Refs: Wade. Beastassdick. ScramHype Lee_Rager(x7) Spikez5 TCBmx Dolphin
With seller feedback and ref on Bmx-forum.com and PBNation.com. WhiteKinght

12/26/2012 8:42 PM

Sharpy wrote:

Big_ol_schlong wrote:

you stupid bro?

Droogskull wrote:

lol.

lmao.. double the strips so the spokes in the rim wont pop it and also get tires with alot of grip so tack, nails, glass ect wont puncture your tube

|

Ride Or Die
PrimoPro Hub All Day
Tan Walls above all

12/26/2012 8:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2012 8:46 PM

And i suggest don't get Heavy Duty tubes in my opinion because it makes your bike heavier.. but it you can take a little weight.. knock your self out.. and look in front of your front wheel often just in case if you ride in a puddle off glass or nails lmao

|

Ride Or Die
PrimoPro Hub All Day
Tan Walls above all

12/26/2012 8:47 PM

milou wrote:

-Learn to patch your tubes, most of my tubes typically have 4 patches, you will learn how to do them good.
hole on bottom = ran over something sharp -> get thicker tubes or thicker tire or just take your chances

Either way I would recommend using chalk in your tire, it helps the tube not stick and I think it helps with casing/snake bites or regular pokes....

patches aren't a permanent solution to a flat tire, they're a temporary fix until you can get to a shop to fix your tube

|

12/26/2012 8:47 PM

iVerderider wrote:

And i suggest don't get Heavy Duty tubes in my opinion because it makes your bike heavier.. but it you can take a little weight.. knock your self out.. and look in front of your front wheel often just in case if you ride in a puddle off glass or nails lmao

really? don't use HD tubes because of weight

seriously, wtf bro

|

12/26/2012 8:50 PM

milou wrote:

sbc785 wrote:

patches aren't a permanent solution to a flat tire, they're a temporary fix until you can get to a shop to fix your tube

sbc785 thank you -___- why do people trust patches i don't trust them AT ALL and i get nervous to full up my tire knowing i have a patch holding my tire.... sometimes the patch blows off once it hits 60 psi +

|

Ride Or Die
PrimoPro Hub All Day
Tan Walls above all

12/26/2012 8:51 PM

iVerderider wrote:

sbc785 wrote:

really? don't use HD tubes because of weight

seriously, wtf bro

Well i heard they weigh your bike down more

|

Ride Or Die
PrimoPro Hub All Day
Tan Walls above all

12/26/2012 8:54 PM

maybe a few ounces, which is minimal rotational weight...

|

12/26/2012 8:59 PM

sbc785 wrote:

maybe a few ounces, which is minimal rotational weight...

yea

|

Ride Or Die
PrimoPro Hub All Day
Tan Walls above all

12/26/2012 11:58 PM

milou wrote:

sbc785 wrote:

iVerderider wrote:

sbc785 thank you -___- why do people trust patches i don't trust them AT ALL and i get nervous to full up my tire knowing i have a patch holding my tire.... sometimes the patch blows off once it hits 60 psi +

I don't understand what people's problems are with patches. A patch is stronger than a normal bit of tube. Are you putting it on right? You are supposed to let the glue dry for 5 minutes and then put the patch on and put loads of pressure on it for 5 minutes.

|

12/27/2012 10:11 AM

i'm 27 years old, i know how to install a patch and i've raced everything from BMX to downhill MTB's, patches are not dependable and they're not a permanent solution...ask ANY mechanic who knows shit about bicycles.

|

12/27/2012 11:57 AM

Get another rim strip or two, buy a new tire and line the inside with duct tape, since I did it I haven't had a flat.

|

Follow me on Instagram, i follow back : N3gativecr33p

12/27/2012 12:13 PM

no need for rim strips if you got duct tape...i've never tried duct tape inside the tire, i use baby powder tho, keeps tubes from sticking and tearing

|

12/27/2012 12:29 PM

Rim strips are easier to take off and reuse on different rims and duct tape worked beautifully for me.

|

Follow me on Instagram, i follow back : N3gativecr33p