Flight bag?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2014 1:12 PM

Looking for a bag that will fit my bike. Trying to keep it cheap though. Fox Podium 180 Gear Bag is pretty cheap but will it fit a bike? My bikes decently big, 9x28"bars, 21.2" frame w/ 8.5soh and 12.9cs.

Worst casenario I get the DK Golf Bag, but cheaper is better.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

6/12/2014 1:59 PM

I mentioned in an earlier post that a large hockey bag works great for this.

I've traveled across the world with a $70 bag, I just put some cardboard on my drop outs so it wouldn't poke through.

Photo

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

6/12/2014 2:06 PM

transition_chris wrote:

I mentioned in an earlier post that a large hockey bag works great for this.

I've traveled across the world with a $70 bag, I ...more

Sweet. The Fox is $70 but im unsure if it will fit my whole bike. Could you possibly measure the dimensions of your bag for me so I can see if the Fox is similar?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

6/12/2014 2:07 PM

Im also unsure about flying with my bike (Southwest Airlines.) I dont know if I need a specific kind of bag or what the deal is..

|

6/12/2014 3:11 PM

This is frim Southwest's website. Help?

Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat), including Bike Friday and Co-Pilot, properly packed in a hard-sided bicycle box that fall within the dimensions and weight limits established for normal Checked Baggage, (i.e., 62 inches or less in overall dimensions and less than 50 pounds in weight). Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft-sided cases will be transported as conditionally accepted items.

|

6/12/2014 3:22 PM

I think you just tell them they are golf clubs and it flies free or something along those lines.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

6/12/2014 3:28 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I think you just tell them they are golf clubs and it flies free or something along those lines.

Dont they run it under the thinga majigger? Theyll know its a bike. Im not understanding what I read on Southwests website. What im getting from it is that I have to use a specific bag/box to have it on the plane which doesn't sound right to me. Im so confused. Then I read somewhere else its $50 to bring your bike on the plane, is that in said box/bag or does the box/bag eliminate that charge?

|

6/12/2014 3:31 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Dont they run it under the thinga majigger? Theyll know its a bike. Im not understanding what I read on Southwests website. ...more

Idk man, i've never flown with a bike. I'm just repeating what i've heard other people do.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

6/12/2014 3:36 PM

Bikes cost 50 bucks to fly.... What they were saying before is that you cant take your bike in there put together and expect them to fly it. Like somebody above said if you get a golf bag and say its golf stuff they will let you by for free... When they run it through the scanner they just see a bunch of metal.. They are more worried about drugs and bombs than a bike hidden in a golf bag...Dk golf bag is the way to go imo.

|

6/12/2014 5:22 PM

Here, local bmx brand is selling a BMX bag for $22. you can fit any size of BMX frame. and it's quite huge you can still fit extra tire, etc.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

6/12/2014 5:49 PM

I've heard about SOOOOO many people attempting to fly with their bikes and then their bikes get lost. I wouldn't trust it if possible dude. Is there anyway that you could ship your bike to the area you are flying to like to a friend or family member's house in the area?

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/12/2014 5:59 PM

Stocksy wrote:

I've heard about SOOOOO many people attempting to fly with their bikes and then their bikes get lost. I wouldn't trust it if ...more

Because shipping it is much safer than flying it.

Shipping would be too much anyway.

|

6/12/2014 6:13 PM

Stocksy wrote:

I've heard about SOOOOO many people attempting to fly with their bikes and then their bikes get lost. I wouldn't trust it if ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Because shipping it is much safer than flying it.

Shipping would be too much anyway.

Ooh yeah. You're right. Well good luck man! I would just get a DK Golf bag and tell them it's golf clubs and if they call you out on it then be ready to pay $50. They aren't going to say "Oh you lied? Guess who isn't flying today!" They'll probably just make you pay and then you can be on your way. That rhymed. Unintentional.

|

YouTube

6/12/2014 6:16 PM

Kinda shitty that theyd charge me for a bike aslong as I can fit it in a bag...

|

6/12/2014 7:05 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Kinda shitty that theyd charge me for a bike aslong as I can fit it in a bag...

Yeah it is. It's kinda shitty that it costs $12 for me to watch my girlfriend's dance recital and I have to pay that fee 3 times. People and places are shitty. Best of luck to ya!

|

YouTube

6/12/2014 9:00 PM

The dk golf bag is pretty sweet I got mine for 110 bucks

|

6/13/2014 8:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2014 8:41 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Dont they run it under the thinga majigger? Theyll know its a bike. Im not understanding what I read on Southwests website. ...more

They do, but if you separate into a couple bags, a lot of times you can get away with calling it bike parts, because parts fly free.

I would recommend disassembly of the bike as much as possible though so it looks like a bunch of parts VS a whole bike.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/14/2014 1:27 AM

not gunna lie, ive never thought of using a hockey bag, that s a good idea

same with just "bike parts" separately

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/14/2014 6:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2014 6:16 PM

eskimojay wrote:

The dk golf bag is pretty sweet I got mine for 110 bucks

I heard the DK bag is legit. I mean , it was made for safe bike travelling without being charged. It's a bike company too. I'd trust it.

Here you go : http://www.albes.com/dk-golf-bike-bag.aspx

https://www.danscomp.com/products/731010/DK_Golf_Bike_Flight_Bag.html

•Dimensions: 51" x 15 1/4" x 12"

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/14/2014 6:37 PM

The people that are at the scanner are not the people that send the bag through, once your bag is checked, it won't matter what's in it. What you need to do is be sure it isn't crushed. When they pack up the bags they stack them all together, so you don't want it crushed. You can go to any used items sports store and find a golf bag, hockey bag, etc. They wont be too bad for prices.

I didnt get to fly with my bike sadly, but after flying by myself and learning how it all works, it isn't really that bad. Hope you get to bring your bike. It was so hard to be in London without my bike. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/14/2014 6:37 PM

Tell them its prototype sports equipment, thats what Nick Bullen tells airport security according to his cousin(my homie).

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

2/9/2017 7:24 PM

If i have a bike with a 21 inch frame could i get a bike bag that says it fits most 20 inch bikes like the dk golf floght bag

|

2/10/2017 12:08 AM

matt_griller wrote:

If i have a bike with a 21 inch frame could i get a bike bag that says it fits most 20 inch bikes like the dk golf floght bag

My 21 inch fits just fine in the odyssey bag with all my parts and tools

|

Smoke Drink Die