Flipping a bowl

Related:
Create New Tag

5/5/2017 4:27 AM

Sound lads and lasses, I am wanting to flip a bowl about 4ft with a coping.. not too mellow not too steep. but it puts me off because the only thing I have flipped was a foam pit with an 8ft steep take off. I'm scared there will be no pop on the flip but if anyone has any suggestions to it please don't hesitate to say!

I am willing to huck shit at it but I don't want to smash the shit out of my head trying to flip to hard and fast. is it the same scenario? lean and look back? if it is the same as the foam pit then its probably doable. I also don't think anyone has ever attempted it out of the bowl I want to do it out of.

Cheers!

|

5/5/2017 6:02 AM

I've seen it done at my localest bowl. Dude backflipped flyout of the 4 foot section. Pretty cool, I haven't even tried into foam yet. Wear a helmet and mouth guard at least.

|

5/5/2017 6:03 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

I've seen it done at my localest bowl. Dude backflipped flyout of the 4 foot section. Pretty cool, I haven't even tried into foam yet. Wear a helmet and mouth guard at least.

I wear full leg padding and a half head helmet that covers my ears, the gap between the bowl landing and the railings for the edge is so close, going to be a quick flip haha! will film my attempts when I go for it

|

5/5/2017 6:16 AM

Mkingdon wrote:

Sound lads and lasses, I am wanting to flip a bowl about 4ft with a coping.. not too mellow not too steep. but it puts me off because the only thing I have flipped was a foam pit with an 8ft steep take off. I'm scared there will be no pop on the flip but if anyone has any suggestions to it please don't hesitate to say!

I am willing to huck shit at it but I don't want to smash the shit out of my head trying to flip to hard and fast. is it the same scenario? lean and look back? if it is the same as the foam pit then its probably doable. I also don't think anyone has ever attempted it out of the bowl I want to do it out of.

Cheers!

Trick progression should be exactly that...progression...meaning you've done a flip into a foam pit, so to me the next step would be onto a resi ramp so know you can get wheels down and land it, next progression step would then be to a wood ramp, then by that point you should have it dialled in and then you can start doing it on again progressively smaller ramps, then you eventually can try it at the concrete bowl.

I'm not saying don't do it, but set it as a goal to aim for, trying it on a 4ft concrete bowl when you've only went to foam is a big unecessary gamble with your health, smashing your skull/face open or breaking your neck wont be fun and can keep you from riding for a long time if you injure yourself badly enough.

be smart, the world is full of darwin award winners as it is.

|

5/5/2017 6:33 AM

Mkingdon wrote:

Cheers!

weegaz22 wrote:

Trick progression should be exactly that...progression...meaning you've done a flip into a foam pit, so to me the next step would be onto a resi ramp so know you can get wheels down and land it, next progression step would then be to a wood ramp, then by that point you should have it dialled in and then you can start doing it on again progressively smaller ramps, then you eventually can try it at the concrete bowl.

I'm not saying don't do it, but set it as a goal to aim for, trying it on a 4ft concrete bowl when you've only went to foam is a big unecessary gamble with your health, smashing your skull/face open or breaking your neck wont be fun and can keep you from riding for a long time if you injure yourself badly enough.

I totally agree with you there, but the problem is I live a good 2 hours away from somewhere with a resi and foam pit so finding the time to go multiple days is so hard.

I went a couple months back flipped the foam then went again last night where I get them dialled in the foam pit and I'm worried I wont have muscle memory for resi which is why I'm trying to hype myself up to either do the bowl or the jump box. you must be like yeah do the jump box but honestly I see the bowl as a comfort thing I'm not sure why! I'm weird like that haha

|

5/5/2017 7:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2017 7:01 AM

Mkingdon wrote:

I totally agree with you there, but the problem is I live a good 2 hours away from somewhere with a resi and foam pit so finding the time to go multiple days is so hard.

I went a couple months back flipped the foam then went again last night where I get them dialled in the foam pit and I'm worried I wont have muscle memory for resi which is why I'm trying to hype myself up to either do the bowl or the jump box. you must be like yeah do the jump box but honestly I see the bowl as a comfort thing I'm not sure why! I'm weird like that haha

If your worried you don't have the muscle memory for a soft resi then you should be putting a concrete bowl far out of your head, your going to have to rotate it way faster to get the wheels down due to not having as much airtime, and anytime speed is increased so is the potential for injury.

at the end of the day its your body, but ALL extreme sports are littered with the bodies of people whose ambitions outweighed their abilities.

where in the UK are you?

|

5/5/2017 7:08 AM

weegaz22 wrote:

Mkingdon wrote:

weegaz22 wrote:

If your worried you don't have the muscle memory for a soft resi then you should be putting a concrete bowl far out of your head, your going to have to rotate it way faster to get the wheels down due to not having as much airtime, and anytime speed is increased so is the potential for injury.

at the end of the day its your body, but ALL extreme sports are littered with the bodies of people whose ambitions outweighed their abilities.

where in the UK are you?

I live in Oxfordshire and the closest I know of is adrenaline alley (corby) in Northampton

|

5/5/2017 8:04 AM

Mkingdon wrote:

I live in Oxfordshire and the closest I know of is adrenaline alley (corby) in Northampton

I'm lucky in the fact i don't live far from one of the largest indoor parks in the UK, Unit 23 is about a 30 minute drive away, not that i have been there yet, but its on the to-do list, me personally i would keep hitting the park with the resi till your confident enough, Stephen Murray is an example of worst case scenario of what can go wrong with the backflip...and he was a pro that knew how to do them.

|

5/5/2017 10:13 AM

Just huck it out of whatever you feel comfortable on. I can 5 on a nice little concrete fly out but can't even get close on a resi or foam pit. I don't like it when people think that all people progress the same. I haven't learned one trick on resi my entire life and haven't even jumped into a foam pit. If you feel pretty comfortable take a couple run ups and send it!

|

5/5/2017 11:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2017 11:06 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

Just huck it out of whatever you feel comfortable on. I can 5 on a nice little concrete fly out but can't even get close on a resi or foam pit. I don't like it when people think that all people progress the same. I haven't learned one trick on resi my entire life and haven't even jumped into a foam pit. If you feel pretty comfortable take a couple run ups and send it!

Wow, your statement contradicts itself all over the place, first you tell him you cant get close to doing a 5 in a foampit, then in the next sentence you admit to never having used a foampit? then you just say fuck it, just send it, great advice...given its not your head he'll be landing on.

and yes everyone progresses at a different rate, but doing it on something thats not going to injure him to build up the muscle memory is smart cos if shit does go wrong he isn't going to be off riding for 2 months cos he broke something, if he has access to it he's better using it than not

|

5/5/2017 12:14 PM

Maybe find an old mattress to put down at the top of the flyout? Sounds like you could do it, but then again, I have zero experience with hucking upside-down stuff, haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

5/5/2017 3:29 PM

weegaz22 wrote:

where in the UK are you?

Mkingdon wrote:

weegaz22 wrote:

I'm lucky in the fact i don't live far from one of the largest indoor parks in the UK, Unit 23 is about a 30 minute drive away, not that i have been there yet, but its on the to-do list, me personally i would keep hitting the park with the resi till your confident enough, Stephen Murray is an example of worst case scenario of what can go wrong with the backflip...and he was a pro that knew how to do them.

sounds like you're living in a good spot! yeah he went for the double and landed straight on his head, seen the vid it is absolutely savage! hoping to go to the resi park tomorrow, if I send it I will be sure to record it

|

5/5/2017 3:30 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Maybe find an old mattress to put down at the top of the flyout? Sounds like you could do it, but then again, I have zero experience with hucking upside-down stuff, haha.

that is a shout, thinking about doing it to resi first

|

5/5/2017 3:31 PM

RIDEboarder wrote:

its like one minute Im pumped as fucked to send it then the next the concrete scares me, a flip isn't a hard trick and it doesn't scare me, its the fact it is concrete is what puts me off I think!

|

5/5/2017 3:40 PM

weegaz22 wrote:

Wow, your statement contradicts itself all over the place, first you tell him you cant get close to doing a 5 in a foampit, then in the next sentence you admit to never having used a foampit? then you just say fuck it, just send it, great advice...given its not your head he'll be landing on.

and yes everyone progresses at a different rate, but doing it on something thats not going to injure him to build up the muscle memory is smart cos if shit does go wrong he isn't going to be off riding for 2 months cos he broke something, if he has access to it he's better using it than not

Wow, your statement shows how little time you spent to read my post before just having to "correct" me. I said I haven't got close out of a resi which I have hit and said foam pit because it uses the same lip to jump off of......... than I said that I haven't actually gone into a foam pit to show that you don't need to. The fact that I can't get close on a resi and most foam pit resi combos use the same jump implies that I wouldent be able to do it into a foam pit too. I thought most people would have figured that out by reading. Oh well, I'll try to be clearer next time.

|

5/5/2017 4:45 PM

The truth is, you can a 1000 different explanations but...you will never know until you try it.

|

5/5/2017 5:10 PM

My advice go fast , I find the higher flips feel better when you've got more amplitude you have split seconds more to spot your landing when upside down so you have a better chance to open up to slow the flip or tuck in to speed it up

|