FlyBikes

Related:
Create New Tag

11/10/2017 8:49 PM

Opinions and experiences with any of their parts is appreciated. Thanks!

|

11/10/2017 9:07 PM

MUDDYCCTV wrote:

Opinions and experiences with any of their parts is appreciated. Thanks!

Can't speak for their newer stuff but I snapped my 2011 Montana frame in like 4 weeks.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/10/2017 10:50 PM

Seems legit. Never ridden their parts, but haven’t heard many bad things.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

11/10/2017 11:02 PM

Fly are awesome and underrated

|

11/11/2017 9:24 AM

They make nice rims.

|

11/11/2017 9:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2017 9:33 AM

|

11/11/2017 10:57 PM

I paid for one of their fully machined brake levers. A number of years ago, it's a very nice part. FlyBikes produces a similar lever these days, called the "Manual" but it's a lesser version of the one I bought. Or at least it costs less than mine.

Had one of their older front hubs, but I didn't like their female axle design. It developed some play, so I laced up another more traditional hub. From Shadow Conspiracy, and am happy now. The FlyBikes hub had an aluminum axle, and four small bearings.

I also have several of their "Cobra Tubes" which are nice, because I don't have to remove my wheel to change a flat.

Don't own any of their frames, is lame if their snapping often.

|

11/11/2017 11:30 PM

I know their older stuff was pretty good. The "Rear" rim was practically bomb proof, my friend's still riding one after 10 years and he beats the hell out of it.

Their middle era stuff I guess you could call it was pretty shit though as far as I remember. I know the frames were prone to cracking, everyone I knew with one ended up cracking them and they didn't even ride that hard. Plus their front hub basically exploded on one friend of mine, and another stripped the threads out riding pegs (I highly doubt that was user error, he's been riding longer than I have and should know better)

Can't really speak for their newer stuff though. Their Ruben tires are good at least

|

11/12/2017 7:34 AM

All frames broke a lot during the light bike era. Anything over 5 pounds should hold up good for most people. Anything under 4 pounds probably won't. Those broken frames didn't even have gussets or anything, and we're probably really light too. I'm sure they have stepped up their game since then.

|

11/13/2017 12:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2017 12:11 AM

I used to use quite a few of their parts, but now it just seems like all the other parts out there, pretty generic except for a small amount. I think they'd hold up fine judging from their specs.

Edit: I miss their ingenuity. There Cnc brakes and levers were killer, glad I've kept some of them.

|

11/13/2017 5:40 AM

Cellmember wrote:

I used to use quite a few of their parts, but now it just seems like all the other parts out there, pretty generic except for a small amount. I think they'd hold up fine judging from their specs.

Edit: I miss their ingenuity. There Cnc brakes and levers were killer, glad I've kept some of them.

That last part especially. Their removeable brake mounts were GENIUS. Seriously. A removeable mount that meant you did not have to readjust spring tension. BRILLIANT.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/13/2017 6:30 AM

I love my fly fork. it hasn't broken and it looks amazing up close.

|

11/13/2017 12:54 PM

i miss when fly had legit CNC brakes, levers, stems, etc....now its all cheap shitty forged stuff

|

It’s all bmx

11/15/2017 3:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2017 3:59 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

That last part especially. Their removeable brake mounts were GENIUS. Seriously. A removeable mount that meant you did not have to readjust spring tension. BRILLIANT.

Their first design the SBS was complete and utter junk, the mount would stay tight but you'd have so much play it wasn't funny sometimes there grub screw hole wouldn't even line up with the mount hole and the frame would be useless for someone who used brakes, then they updated the system using their EBS it was better but you'd still have play in the mount even when tight and the crazy thing is they first started out brazing the brake mounts until they had warrantied frames coming through due to people snapping their mounts off the frame, just pulling the whole brake along with the brazed part out then they decided to weld them and then after a short time they just went back to dylan mounts which are better then the previous ones.

|