Flybike identification

Related:
Create New Tag

4/5/2018 4:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2018 11:38 PM

I just picked up a Flybike that’s needs a bit of work. I was told it is a Pantera 4, but after doing some research it seems to be some type of Tierra? I really like the feel of the bike, and am excited about rebuilding it, but I want to confirm it’s exact identity 1st. Partially, to figure out what brake hardware to purchsase, but mostly just out of curiosity. Year, model, etc.? The serial number is CIC210A1918. And yes I’m aware of all the wrong parts on the bike. A hack put it together so I picked it up for cheap.
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Some pics didn’t load, so let me know if u need more
Photo

Photo

|

4/5/2018 6:03 PM

Why are there threaded forks and stem on the bike?
Also, the braking hardware is called broach, and they suck. Unfortunately you're gonna have to go to fastenal or some machinist to figure out the thread pitch and size of the brake mounts, then post back on vital for someone to tell you what exact company sells that specific braking hardware, unless flybikes is still carrying the same kind.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/5/2018 6:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2018 7:03 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Also, the braking hardware is called broach, and they suck. Unfortunately ...more

Not the correct name at all. Broaching is merely the process used to create awkward shaped holes in metal.

I'm damn sure someone on can identify at very least the mount type just from the pictures. There's only a few types anyways...

They don't look like the fly EBS brake mounts with set screws, maybe from before their time?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/5/2018 7:32 PM

Take that unsealed headset out before it messes the cups up for sure.

|

4/5/2018 11:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2018 11:17 PM

It's a fly. But I can't be bothered to Google image search for you. Get that fork/stem/headset off though, that's a 1" threaded fork with a quill stem and unsealed headset on a 1 1/8 integrated frame. It won't end well.
Did you buy the whole bike? Looks stolen to me.
That back wheel looks like a complete bodge as well. Looks like a good bike and a cheap bike were stolen and had parts swapped.

|

4/5/2018 11:42 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's a fly. But I can't be bothered to Google image search for you. Get that fork/stem/headset off though, that's a 1" ...more

Yes, I’m aware of all the wrong parts on the bike, hence why I want to rebuild. I don’t know how a bike “looks” stolen, especially when the serial numbers are in plain sight and I even posted them in the original post. I even ran the serial number with the local police station to confirm it hadn’t been reported prior to purchase. Thank you for your concern, though.

|

4/6/2018 1:58 AM

Natechesna wrote:

Yes, I’m aware of all the wrong parts on the bike, hence why I want to rebuild. I don’t know how a bike “looks” stolen, ...more

A bike “looks stolen” when there’s suspicious hardware on it. On this particular one, it’s been mentioned above that the headset is completely out of order and somebody could’ve swapped it out to make it less like the original stolen bike to avoid being caught with no knowledge of measurements, hence the 1” headset on the wrong frame.

Also, (nearly) every frame out there has its serial ID in plain sight, but I’m glad it’s not stolen and you went to check it out.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/6/2018 6:53 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Also, the braking hardware is called broach, and they suck. Unfortunately ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Not the correct name at all. Broaching is merely the process used to create awkward shaped holes in metal.

I'm damn sure ...more

That's what I've been told they're called. I knew about the process but I was told that's what they're called, weird. What are they called?

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/6/2018 7:09 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

That's what I've been told they're called. I knew about the process but I was told that's what they're called, weird. What are ...more

I'm absolutely no expert on brake stuff; only brakes I've ever had are front brakes for a short time, just pissing about but as far as I'm aware, brake hardware is usually just named after the company who introduces it or whatever trademark they decide to go with.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/6/2018 7:17 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I'm damn sure ...more

HavokDJ wrote:

That's what I've been told they're called. I knew about the process but I was told that's what they're called, weird. What are ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

I'm absolutely no expert on brake stuff; only brakes I've ever had are front brakes for a short time, just pissing about but ...more

I think broach is just a general name given to them by the community since they don't have an actual trademarked name for it. Sunday has it (albeit it is much better than what other companies do for that particular hardware, as in, they actually put cutouts for you to wrench on so that when you unscrew it, it doesn't unscrew the whole mount, I said screw it and put red loctite on mine), Hoffman bikes has it, there's some other ones that have it too but I can't name them off the top of my head.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/6/2018 8:25 AM

If it doesn't have EBS hardware then it's a v1-3, also is the BB mid or Spanish? It looks very similar to my isla v3 but I'm not sure if that came in blue or not.

|

Hmmm

4/6/2018 8:35 AM

Edman123 wrote:

If it doesn't have EBS hardware then it's a v1-3, also is the BB mid or Spanish? It looks very similar to my isla v3 but I'm ...more

Looks mid to me, but it does seem kinda small enough to be spanish. Probably the angles of the photos.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/6/2018 9:37 AM

Edman123 wrote:

If it doesn't have EBS hardware then it's a v1-3, also is the BB mid or Spanish? It looks very similar to my isla v3 but I'm ...more

HavokDJ wrote:

Looks mid to me, but it does seem kinda small enough to be spanish. Probably the angles of the photos.

It does appear to have the lugs for the EBS hardware. (I think...I’m not familiar with this). You can see the threaded tabs if you look close enough at the pics. Also it IS a Spanish BB.

|

4/6/2018 9:42 AM

Edman123 wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

Natechesna wrote:

It does appear to have the lugs for the EBS hardware. (I think...I’m not familiar with this). You can see the threaded tabs if ...more

If you could measure the tt and Cs that would help as well.
If it is a Spanish BB then it won't be EBS hardware as they dropped the Spanish BB when they introduced EBS to allow for their new 24mm cranks.
I think it may be an isla because the down tube seems to be slightly tapered and it has internal gussets, only thing that makes me undecided is the seat clamp area welding.
Tt and Cs lengths would be a way to tell though.

|

Hmmm

4/6/2018 10:30 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Natechesna wrote:

It does appear to have the lugs for the EBS hardware. (I think...I’m not familiar with this). You can see the threaded tabs if ...more

Edman123 wrote:

If you could measure the tt and Cs that would help as well.
If it is a Spanish BB then it won't be EBS hardware as they ...more

The tt is exactly 21”, ct is 9” & cc is 8”

|

4/6/2018 10:34 AM

All the frames I’m seeing on google aren’t open like this?Photo

Unless maybe they were grinded off/open?

|

4/6/2018 10:44 AM

Pretty positive they weren’t modified like that by someone. Can’t remember who, but either Eastern or maybe Fly did this to save weight... ?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/7/2018 4:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2018 4:10 PM

Its not a Fly. Probably a Mankind.
They are not EBS mounts. The mount type you would be after is an M8x1.25, Total uses them and quite a few other brands.

|